Breakfast in MDR vs Windjammer?

From your posts it looks like you are asking about Oasis. On Oasis, you can go to Cafe Promenade on the Royal Promenade and get complimentary coffee and pastries.

Yes, we're going on Oasis for the first time in September. Sorry I didn't specify - for some reason I assumed this whole thread was about Oasis. It will be our 38th cruise, 34th on RCI, but mostly we've gone on Freedom and Radiance Class ships. I'm looking forward to this new experience.

Thanks.

Margy

I'm looking forward to this new experience.

Excited for you! You already know RCI has a great product, so Oasis should feel like "home" for you. :)

Additionally, we like the Park Cafe on Deck 8 for early morning coffee and pastries. We had a cabin on Deck 8 so it was a quick jaunt to pick up our, umm, pre-breakfast. ;p:D

Yes, we're going on Oasis for the first time in September. Sorry I didn't specify - for some reason I assumed this whole thread was about Oasis. It will be our 38th cruise, 34th on RCI, but mostly we've gone on Freedom and Radiance Class ships. I'm looking forward to this new experience.

Thanks.

Margy

Oasis is a very different experience, we really enjoy that class. The WJ is undersized for a ship that size, so unlike other classes of ships, we avoid the WJ as much as possible. If you like a cooked to order omelet for breakfast, Wipeout Cafe up on the pool deck is a nice place to start the day. They have a small buffet with the usual breakfast items but they also make omelets and fried eggs to order. They will give you a number to put on your table and they bring your order out to you. Park Cafe is much better on Oasis too, since it isn't an add on, like it is on Radiance Class ships.

Enjoy your cruise, we have sailed every class except Vision Class and Oasis class is our favorite, by far.:)

Order coffee and danish to be delivered to your room!

We do have breakfast on our balcony a couple of times each cruise, but we time it for my husband who sleeps later than I do. I tend to wake up early on cruises and need coffee to get me going.

On Radiance Class ships there's a place for coffee (and until recently pastries) outside the Windjammer. Early risers tend to get together there and visit.

Thanks,

Margy

Excited for you! You already know RCI has a great product, so Oasis should feel like "home" for you. :)

Additionally, we like the Park Cafe on Deck 8 for early morning coffee and pastries. We had a cabin on Deck 8 so it was a quick jaunt to pick up our, umm, pre-breakfast. ;p:D

That's great to know. On Brilliance I don't think it opened before the Windjammer. We're on Deck 6 so it will just be a quick jaunt to the carousel. I don't ever want to get too old to enjoy carousels.

Thanks,

Margy

Oasis is a very different experience, we really enjoy that class. The WJ is undersized for a ship that size, so unlike other classes of ships, we avoid the WJ as much as possible. If you like a cooked to order omelet for breakfast, Wipeout Cafe up on the pool deck is a nice place to start the day. They have a small buffet with the usual breakfast items but they also make omelets and fried eggs to order. They will give you a number to put on your table and they bring your order out to you. Park Cafe is much better on Oasis too, since it isn't an add on, like it is on Radiance Class ships.

Enjoy your cruise, we have sailed every class except Vision Class and Oasis class is our favorite, by far.:)

We'll be sure to have breakfast one day in the Wipeout Cafe. That sounds good - my husband likes fried eggs and I like omelets. We also want to try Johnny Rockets one morning since it's near our cabin.

Unfortunately this is only a 7-day cruise - not enough time to do everything. In March we have a B2B2B on Brilliance, which will give us two weeks to enjoy but less variety on the smaller ship. My husband has recently had to start using a scooter, which cuts down on the number of cabins available to us, since we've found maneuvering the scooter in and out of a regular cabin is not fun . Fortunately our TA found an accessible cabin available for all three consecutive cruises in March so we don't have to move.

Thanks for your help,

Margy

I enjoy MDR for breakfast and lunch. I usually have oatmeal - nice to be served the hot milk and then fruit and whatever I feel like from the buffet.

To original poster, highly recommend MDR for lunch. Several dishes to choose from and you can't go wrong with with Tuti made to order salad bar.

Just off the Explorer - have a great time. You are correct that the Windjammer can be quite crowded though we could always find a place for two of us. We tend to be up early and beat the busiest crowd. MDR was lovely on our more relaxed sea days - watch the hours as they limited at breakfast.

Not to mention that you have to rely on MDR staff to get refills on your beverages such as coffee, tea, etc. At least in the Windjammer you can get up and get your own refills, if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is a good point I didn't think of!

It also depends on what time you eat breakfast. Don't know what hours MDR will open for your cruise but for our cruise on the Freedom, MDR or breakfast was typically 8 to 10 AM or so, but Windjammer typically have longer hours like 7 to 11:30 for breakfast. So if you are an early riser or prefer to party into the night, the extra hours might beneficial to you.

It’s just like commuting to work in the morning in a majo rcity – either go early or late to arrive the crowd. If you choose to dine at a more popular time,you will see crowd.

Maybe for the Alaska cruise, since it’s cold outside in the morning, people don’t eat breakfast in their ocean view balconies like they would in the Caribbean so they crowd the WJ and MDR more?

This pic shows a pretty empty WJ after opening before we arrived at Grand Cayman. Time stamp has it at 7 AM. Nobody’s there.

31335013674_641db9d439_h.jpg

Next day weslept in and went at 9:45 and much harder to find a table.

31431947403_697be09d22_h.jpg

This was taken while waiting in line for breakfast at MDR. Time stamp has it at 9:20. We waited about 15minutes for a table. In theory, it woul dbe a minute or two less if we were willing to share a table with others. I wasn’t. I’m typically pretty anti-social and even more so in morning before my coffee so not willing to share table with anyone. They just ask you to stand aside and wait for a smaller table to open up.

32168540830_17d278f45e_h.jpg

32168500290_22697c8bb9_h.jpg

32395143532_4eaf649431_h.jpg

As there was a discussion on Johnny Rockets on the Oasis class, here’s the free (no extra charge) potato breakfast from JR

enhance

SO helpful! Thank you! I think we plan to start pretty early so it doesn't seem like windjammer will be too much of a problem. I know we have some open sea days with not too much planned so I think we may try at least one breakfast in the MDR for the first time!