Just off Magic 8/5-8/13

mom2oneXY

We just got home and I am overloaded with laundry, but I wanted to share about our sailing on Magic!

I cruised with my husband, 6 year old son, and my parents. We booked the trip last September after having a great time on the Pride last summer. It was my parents first Carnival cruise after 15 on Royal Caribbean. I was both excited and nervous for them to experience the Carnival Fun!

We flew into Orlando the day before on an early nonstop flight. We had our rental car and were in Cocoa Beach by 11:30. We had booked ocean view rooms at the Best Western Cocoa Beach, but rooms were not even close to being ready. They gave us access to the pool and suggested lunch at the pier next door. The pier was closed due to storm damage from the day before, so we ended up at Coasters across the street. Very yummy! We hit Publix for soda, wine, and snacks and headed back to the Best Western. Rooms still weren't ready! We checked out the beach, went for a swim, had a drink at the pool bar, and finally got into our rooms. Rooms were OK. Definitely showing wear and tear, but it would do for a night. Had dinner down the street and wouldn't recommend the place. I can't even remember the name.

Hubby returned the rental car early the next morning and walked back to the Best Western. He was gone all of 20 minutes and brought back donuts and coffee - my hero! My parents checked out the free breakfast, we went back to the rooms to pack up and catch our 10:30 shuttle to the port. The Best Western uses Cocoa Beach Shuttle for $5/person. We were loaded up on the shuttle by 10:15 and on our way to pick up Disney ship people at the Raddison. We dropped them off first and were at the port exactly at 11:00.

We checked in and were on the ship by 11:35. Smoothest embarkation to date. Port Canaveral knows how to do it! We had our soda and wine in a rolling suitcase and didn't have to take it out or anything. We just pushed it through the scanner and security joked with our son about him bringing all that alcohol on board.

They had express elevators available straight up to Lido or deck 5. We chose Lido deck. Lines weren't too bad, but everyone stops (us included) right in the front of the buffet area, forgetting that there are more options and seating if you keep walking. Ate an OK lunch, and headed up to check out Camp Ocean and explore the ship. DH just wanted to ditch the carry on because it was heavy, but our room wasn't ready until after 2:00. He was happier once we ditched them. I can't even remember what we did the rest of the day, but ate in the MDR for early seating and luggage was finally there when we were done.

1st Sea Day coming up!

1st Sea Day!!!

We had room service delivered around 8:00 an were up and out of the room by 9:00 because DS wanted to hit the ropes course. It was closed due to winds. It has to be 45 MPH winds or less and it was 51 MPH - or something like that. We found excellent spots on the back of the ship that would be shaded all day (mom has had bouts with skin cancer so we don't risk it!). They were close to the pool, close to the bar, close to the Lido, and comfy seats for all of us! We stayed there all day and read, drank, swam. DS went to Camp Ocean. It was a perfect relaxing day.

It was elegant night, so we got dressed up (but not too much) and had a wonderful dinner! Our wait staff was fantastic! They brought us each 2 lobsters without us asking. My parents got Cheers and they brought my son a Shirley Temple, smoothie, or sprite without us asking each night. We didn't get cheers b/c hubby doesn't really drink so it doesn't make sense for us. We found most waiters on the ship offered to get us drinks on my parents Cheers package. We took advantage occasionally, but never asked ourselves. Flame if you want, but we only took advantage when the wait staff offered.

DS went back to Camp Ocean that night and DH and I hit the comedy club. The comedians on the 1st part of the trip were great, but the last few nights we didn't like them. Their whole act was picking on other people and playing guitar. I just don't enjoy that type of comedy. I like comedy I can relate to. The waiters in the Spotlight lounge were great, especially Filip. He took care us on the pool deck and in the Spotlight lounge! Loved him!

We picked us DS and went to bed by 11...we're not night owls, epsecially when sharing a room with a 6 year old!

Next up Grand Turk!

Grand Turk!

So we didn't really have anything planned for Grand Turk. Honestly it was my least researched port until days before our sailing and I started to panic. I hate crowded beaches! We decided to make the best of it and got off the ship by 9:30 and went walking to find a spot. There was another ship in port (Splendor) and things were crazy crowded already! We waled almost to the end of the "Grand Turk port" area and paid $25 for two chairs and umbrella right on the water front. It was wall to wall people on the beach, but we enjoyed the beach for a few hours. I brought snacks and waters in our bags and ended up buying two rum punches and a Gatorade for $8 total. The rum punch was blah, but it was cheap. I took a walk back to Margaritaville and it was packed. The pool looked kind of gross and the drinks were expensive. We stayed until 12:30 or so then headed back to the ship. We stopped to by a Christmas ornament for my vacation tree.

Back on the ship we grabbed a bit to eat in the Lido, then DS and DH went to tackle the ropes course. It was open and DS had a blast - DH not so much, but he was a good sport! Back down to the room to relax before dinner!

Dinner again was great! Loved, loved, loved our wait staff. They were so attentive to DS and always anticipated our needs! There was also a magician that walked around the MDR and he amazed my son on several occasions! It was an awesome added touch!

After dinner we went to the Hasbro Game Night. DS LOVES the show! He watched it on TV for weeks prior to the cruise to get ready (his words!). Surprisingly DS and DH were picked to be on stage for the same round. It made my son's day! Dr. E was hilarious through the whole cruise! We really enjoyed him as a CD! My boys didn't win the grand prize, but DS loved walking around the ship and being noticed at Evan Almighty :-)

It was a great day!

Next up - San Juan, but first I need to do more laundry! Soon - I promise!

We had booked ocean view rooms at the Best Western Cocoa Beach, but rooms were not even close to being ready. They gave us access to the pool and suggested lunch at the pier next door. The pier was closed due to storm damage from the day before, so we ended up at Coasters across the street. Very yummy! We hit Publix for soda, wine, and snacks and headed back to the Best Western. Rooms still weren't ready! We checked out the beach, went for a swim, had a drink at the pool bar, and finally got into our rooms. Rooms were OK. Definitely showing wear and tear, but it would do for a night. Had dinner down the street and wouldn't recommend the place. I can't even remember the name.

We found a 3" cockroach in there, and we slept with one eye open all night.

we're doing the same trip kind of.

staying at best western in cocoa beach, getting on the magic. thanks for doing this review. we have a 7 year old girl so interested in how busy the kids club was and was it good for your son?

Ok, San Juan!

It weren't in port until 1:00, so we took it easy that morning. DS tried the ropes course again, but too windy. We got involved with a human version of Sorry in the Ocean Plaza that was pretty cut throat. DS made it home very quickly and was bored, so off he went with grandma so DH and I could stick it out. Once Sorry was over we grabbed a quick sandwich before heading off the ship. Whew was it hot!

We took a taxi up to El Morro. It was $12 total for the 5 of us. The driver tried to get us to go to Castillo, but we didn't want to. We wanted a taxi to the furthest away point. He kept complaining of traffic and it took us all of 15 minutes to get up to El Morro. Then he dropped us off quite a ways from the entrance. I was really irritated. My parents don't have the best mobility and the fort was going to be enough walking for them, but we pressed on!

El Morro did not disappoint! My dad has the senior pass to the national parks which allow him and 3 guests in for free, then children under 12 are free, so we had no admission costs. The Fort had amazing views and DS loved, loved, loved climbing around and finding all the tiny staircases. Mom and dad found a breezy spot to sit. Dad did he lower fort with us, then stayed with mom. It was so, so, so hot, but enjoyable. At one point at the top we saw the Anthem of the Seas (OMG she's huge!) sailing away and Celebrity Equinox sailing in. I walked to the edge to get a picture and ended up smashing into the fort wall....bloody, throbbing elbow - but I'm tough and kept on going! Be careful around the edge there's about a 5 inch channel between the ground and the walls. I'm lucky I didn't break my ankle!

After exploring the fort we tried our hand at flying kites on the grass. We brought our own, but it wasn't built for the wind there! We didn't have much luck, but DS rolled down the hills, we checked out the cemetery from above and walked back toward town. We meandered the streets of Old San Juan on the way back to the ship. We really didn't stop anywhere except for DS to get a shirt. We were back on the ship by 5:30 I think.

Exhausted, hot, and sweaty we all showered and decided to do dinner on the Lido that night. I think DS went to Camp Ocean and we played cards while listening to a great 80s cover band!

Next up - St. Kitts

we're doing the same trip kind of.

staying at best western in cocoa beach, getting on the magic. thanks for doing this review. we have a 7 year old girl so interested in how busy the kids club was and was it good for your son?

Camp Ocean was not overly crowded during the day. The evenings it was though. DS loved Camp Carnival on the Pride last year, but he wasn't overly enthusiastic about Camp Ocean on the Magic. He would go, but other times he really didn't want to. Overall I think I was more impressed by kids club on the Pride, but that's not to say The Magic was bad. I think he just had a better time on the Pride. The Pride had some movie nights and dance parties during normal hours and they colored their own shirts which my DS claims is his all time favorite tshirt. The theme nights seemed more exciting and well done on the Pride. The rooms on the Magic are nice and spacious. Last year he wanted to eat with the kids club on the Lido, but not this year. I'm not sure if that's because grandma and grandpa were there with us or what. It was not make or break for us. He still made great use of it, just not as enthusiastically as last year!

Oh St. Kitts - How I love thee!

St. Kitts was a new port for us and we were excited! Mom and Dad agreed to keep up with DS for the day so DH and I could have a nice relaxing day! I researched and researched to find what we were looking for. Requirements were a very chill and uncrowded beach experience with good drinks and food. We ended up settling on Discovery Beach Bar & Grill and it fit the bill perfectly. We took a taxi from the ship to Friar's Bay. We dropped a nice family off at the Marriot then were on our way. Our driver was so kind. She explained that the water at the Marriot was too cold and too choppy, but people like the known of the hotel. She offered to stop at the top of the mountain so we could take pictures of the Atlantic and Caribbean, but we passed! We just wanted to get to the beach! She explained that the day before was their St. Kitt's emancipation day so everyone was just getting back to work from 2 days off. She pulled into Discover, beeped the horn and handed us a card. She told just to have Morsi (the bar owner) to give her a call when we were ready to head back to the ship. Fare was $16 one way.

So here's the amazing part. We were the ONLY people at this place all day long! We seriously had the beach, bar, and chairs to ourselves all day. Morsi was amazing and chill. His rum punch was out of this world, his ginger chicken wings were delicious. We could have stayed for ever! The black sand was so neat, the view of the volcano was awesome (although we couldn't ever see the top), and the water was so inviting. There is a slight drop off into the water, but nothing we couldn't handle. There was a reef about 20 feet out that was very visible. Morsi warned us that there were lots of sea urchins, so not to try to walk over it. Absolutely perfect relaxing, chill day! If I every figure out how to post pictures, I will. This was by far one of our favorite cruising days ever! We tried to call our original driver to come get us, but she was on a tour. Morsi called someone else and the taxi was there in less than 15 minutes!

DS and grandma ended up booking the dolphin encounter and they also had a great time. They didn't have much luck with their first dolphin, Wilson. He was on the younger side and was just not into entertaining that day. They switched to a 12 year old, Martha who gave my DS the best day ever! He got to hug, shake hands, kiss, and got her to jump. Mom bought the DVD of just DS and they headed back to the ship. Grandma was tired so DS went to Camp Ocean.

I honestly can't remember what we did that night. I think DH watched Rouge One, I might have done something with DS. My lack of memory from that evening might have been result of a slight hangover from Morsi's rum punches! But all in all a great day!

St. Marteen coming up!

St. Marteen

We had been here before and were torn on what to do. We really left it up in the air depending on our moods. Well DS was tough to wake up. He seriously did not want to get out of bed. Eventually we got him up and dressed. We went back and forth between finding a tour of the island, heading to Maho, or heading to Little Divi Bay. Our energy level would not have matched Maho, so that was a no go. We were pretty sure DS would have a fit sitting in a van for the better part of the day for a tour, so Little Divi Bay it was. We grabbed a taxi at $5/person and were at the hotel in about 15 minutes. We waved down a beach attendant and got two chairs and umbrella for $15. DS headed to the water. It was nice and calm. The sand was so soft. He found several shells and I found several sand dollars. DH and DS decided to do the Banana float. It was $10 for 10 minutes. The company said that since they were first for the day they'd get 15 minutes. Well they ended up helping someone who had fallen off a jet ski, so it was probably more like 20-25 minutes. All in all it DS had fun!

We got drinks and lunch from the beach side grill. We had guava berry coladas for around $8 each, a 12" pizza that was delish for $15, and DS has the kids grilled cheese and fries for $7. We spent a little more time in the water and then grabbed a taxi back to port. It was a great day, low key day! If we went back to St. Marteen and weren't feeling overly ambitious, we'd head back there again for sure!

Back on the ship we relaxed on the balcony. Actually it was more of a panic. My 73 year old dad got off the ship by himself around 11 without a phone or anything (no watch). We were watching the people board 30 minutes before sail and no sign of dad. Eventually he got on board, but we were all in a little panic for a bit. Turns out he had a great day at Great Bay drinking and swimming and asking complete strangers to spray him with sunscreen because he didn't have any...lol!!! I'm forever thankful for the beach attendant he made friends with that sent him back to the ship on time!

That evening, we had dinner at the MDR, watched some karaoke, got the Clue for the night, and hit the sack. So the Clue game - the first night they do a fun little show like the game Clue where someone has murdered Mr. Body on board. Each character gives their alibi, then each night the rest of the cruise you get another clue so you can figure out who did it. It is usually tied into Bingo or a guess that song with Dr. E. The last sea day they announce who did it and you put your name in a raffle for a prize. DS was totally into it, so it was fun!

Next up 2 sea days and my final thoughts!

Sea Day 2

Totally relaxing day! I grabbed our spots on the back of the ship at breakfast time. Slowly the family joined me. We spent the day reading, swimming, drinking (Filip again was fantastic!), and playing cards.

We did Waterworks with DS. The water slides were great fun. I even did them. DS loved spraying and dumping water on people walking by. The only downside to the area were the unattended children using the water works floor like a slip n slide. They would run and slide in the open area. I saw innocent people/kids get knocked down on several occasions. They had two crew members standing watching, but neither did anything. DS figured it out rather quickly and steered clear of them. There is also not much shade in the area so it was hot to sit there and watch - hence my water slide action!

Dinner was elegant night and was wonderful again! I'm sorry for not much details on food. If you ask me specifics I can answer, but I can't remember what I ate each night. Dessert was sort of disappointing on all nights, but the appetizers and main dishes made us all happy each night!

Back to the comedy club after dinner and like I said earlier not a fan of these comedians! Even our favorite waiter Filip agreed!

Sea Day 2

We were more active today. No pool, which was fine - we'd had enough sun. We did the ropes course again! Boy was it hot! Played on the sports court - HOT!!! DS wanted to try the Hasbro Game Night again. He didn't get picked, but I did! I got to play Simon Flash...it was harder than I thought! Lots of fun! We went to the Clue Reveal - we figured it out :-) DH and I did some trivia while grandma took DS to play Team Jenga (again cut throat...all for a ship on a stick!).

We packed, then headed to dinner. DS wanted to say goodbye to Camp Ocean friends and staff, so we watched the end of Beauty and the Beast and the beginning of Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them. Something about the Dive In Movies are so relaxing and comfy. Love them!

DS hads put a balloon in the Magic Memories net, so he wanted to go to the Balloon Drop that night. We showed up about 15 minutes before and it was a zoo, full of unattended children. At one point one of the balloons fell before the real drop and you would have through it was a $100 bill. Kids were stepping on other kids, it was crazy. We held on to DS and stuck it out. He loved it and surprisingly enough, out of the hundreds of balloons, he found his memory! It was a great end to the cruise!

Last post will be debarkation and final thoughts!

Debarkation Day

We were zone 18 schedule for 9:00. We woke up, went to breakfast in the MDR, then back to cabin to gather our things. We waited maybe 30 minutes in the theater to hear our zone called. We were through customs and at our shuttle at 9:45. We booked the shuttle through Cortrans for $20/person. Easy to find, easy drive to airport. Overall debarkation went well!

Final Thoughts

Ship - Great! We loved the Magic. It had great spaces and great staff. The only downside was the pools. They are small and crowded, but I think this is par for the course. Our cabin location 8th deck was great- easy 2 flights up to Lido, easy 3 flights down to Promenade. Our room steward wasn't the best. We requested 2x a day service and got it, but each time was so so. He only did the bathroom (towels, shower, sink) once a day and beds (morning) once a day. It is what it is.

Food - Room service is lacking, but it was OK for us. The Lido is just too crowded for me in the morning. I am not a morning person! Guys Burgers were great as always. The Pig and Anchor was pretty good. I ate there once, but DH ate there a few times. The Cantina was OK too...not great. We never got to try the Mongolian Wok...too crowded. MDR was fantastic! We did the Dr. Suess brunch and it was awesome! Food was great and it was a lot of fun!

Ports - St. Kitts and St. Marteen were our favorites. We wouldn't avoid future cruises going to San Juan or Grand Turk, but wouldn't go out of our to hit them again either.

My parents, who are Royal Loyal, enjoyed themselves quite a bit. They saw no marked differences other than there being more activity going on. My dad said it was just more energy in general. He was pleased with service and the ship, although he prefers a smaller ship. My mom missed her solarium on Royal (adults only area, covered with a pool). She wasn't as wowed by the Serenity deck. They will stick to Royal on their own, since they are Diamond members, but are open to sailing Carnival with us if that's what we choose.

Overall we had a great time! We'd sail on the Magic again in fact we're looking at a Western Carribean itinerary on the Magic for our next cruise!

Any questions - I will do my best to answer! I don't have Fun Times since we used the Hub so much. I do have the Sting Rays Camp Ocean schedule (ages 6-8). If you'd like to see it, I can send it to you.

Thank you for the review! We leave on Saturday for our week on the Magic! Glad to hear you enjoyed your MDR experience. It is where we eat every night (partly to manage food allergies), and I'm happy to read a positive review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums