Start of ubp service charge

Boatingmom

This charge has been ongoing for years now. If you have booked already you either paid it or don't need to pay it. It's not collected later. So if it's not on your original booking documents then you don't need to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When exactly did this charge start? If you booked b4 they started charging do u still have to pay the 18%?

For USA bookings I think they started the charge in 2015 and have upped it a few times since then. They included it for booking full suites until around June, 2017. It's a charge paid prior to start of cruise. So most likely when you booked your cruise, it was included in the final payment. When looking at bill it will read, "choice promotion service charge" not to be confused with the DSC which is a separate charge.

The relatively new 18% charge on the UBP (for those staying in a suite) kind of bugs me the more I think about it. I was lucky and booked in an OS prior to the change so I did not get charged for it and basically saved 223.92 on the "free" perk. I would have been willing ot pay it becasue I assumed that it was a "tip" for the bartender/servers that handled my free drink order. However after thinking about it, it is simply an additional service charge that is going in to NCL's pockets. In my case I don't see the bartendar/servers getting anything on my orders (unless I tip them seperately). NCL already got me for a premium for the suite, now they want an additional $223 that probably will not go to the bartender.

When exactly did this charge start? If you booked b4 they started charging do u still have to pay the 18%?

our last 3 cruises we have paid the service charge on drinks prior to sailing. No, if you pay it prior to sailing you do not pay it again. We do, occasionally give anther small tip to the waitperson or bartender if they are very nice. It helps with the quality of drinks as the cruise goes along. This is only if you spend most of your drinking time at a particular bar. We usually spend time at the atrium bar the most.

Thanks for all the responses. Not on my bill so... [emoji6]

There are several groups of people that don't pay the service charge - UK bookings, suite bookings prior to a few months ago, group bookings, etc. The only thing to stay consistent (as far as I know) is that it's charged at the time of booking.

The relatively new 18% charge on the UBP (for those staying in a suite) kind of bugs me the more I think about it. I was lucky and booked in an OS prior to the change so I did not get charged for it and basically saved 223.92 on the "free" perk. I would have been willing ot pay it becasue I assumed that it was a "tip" for the bartender/servers that handled my free drink order. However after thinking about it, it is simply an additional service charge that is going in to NCL's pockets. In my case I don't see the bartendar/servers getting anything on my orders (unless I tip them seperately). NCL already got me for a premium for the suite, now they want an additional $223 that probably will not go to the bartender.

That is just speculation. No one here knows how that is distributed, many have theories.

That is just speculation. No one here knows how that is distributed, many have theories.

Yes it is speculation but if I am not paying it, how is the bartender getting any of it based upon my service received. I don't see them pulling $223.92 out of my base rate to give to the bartender(s) on my cruise. It is what it is and nobobdy is forcing them to work the job they do, but I just think it stinks to high heaven. This is not an optional "service charge" that is specifically for the staff that can be removed if wanted and replaced with individual tips. This is a forced charge that I really doubt goes 100% to the servers/bartenders.

you are so right. I am always amazed by those who seem to know how the service charges are distributed. Even people who work for the cruise line either do not know for sure or only want to tell us their side of the story.