need info on ships and Bahamas vs Carribean Cruise for First time cruisers

crusinot

I have cruised several times on Royal Caribbean. I have never cruised on Carnival. I am helping a friend that wants to cruise with her husband( both in their late 30's- early 40's) with their two teenage children. (high school age boy and girl). I need recommendations for ships that they would enjoy and which ships to stay away from. They live in upstate NY. I am looking to compare fly vs no fly cruises. One last question.. Bahamas vs Caribbean. I am thinking 5- 7day cruise..I appreciate your input in advance! I want to give my friend options so I was going to give her my choices from both cruise lines and let her decide.

I enjoy the itinerary that includes the Bahamas, especially in the middle of summer.

I also prefer a 7 day cruise. I am never ready to disembark sooner than that.

The kids might enjoy one of the Dream class ships. Dream, Magic or Breeze, depending on flight costs to port.

7 days.

Caribbean.

Vista / Breeze / Dream / Magic would be my top picks.

Glory / Freedom / Sunshine would be my 2nd tier picks.

Cozumel / Ocho Rios or Montego Bay / Grand Cayman would be a good first itinerary.

Use ship excursion if MoBay and going to Dunn's River Falls.

GC = Stingray City

Cozumel = Mr. Sanchos for beach day or Dolphinarus if you want to swim with dolphins.

I have cruised several times on Royal Caribbean. I have never cruised on Carnival. I am helping a friend that wants to cruise with her husband( both in their late 30's- early 40's) with their two teenage children. (high school age boy and girl). I need recommendations for ships that they would enjoy and which ships to stay away from. They live in upstate NY. I am looking to compare fly vs no fly cruises. One last question.. Bahamas vs Caribbean. I am thinking 5- 7day cruise..I appreciate your input in advance! I want to give my friend options so I was going to give her my choices from both cruise lines and let her decide.

Having cruised with my teenage boys 5 times, I will say that if this is their first cruise, they will have a blast no matter what ship you sail. Kids always seem to find friends and a good time. But do agree that the Dream Class would make those times even better.

We had a great excursion at Freeport..kayaked through a mangrove forest then spent time at an all natural beach..meaning no chairs, food, buildings etc. Almost like we were air-dropped onto a deserted island. Very cool. So don't shy away from the Bahamas, unless seeing yet another Three Amigos and Diamonds International is important to you. But nothing beats Grand Cayman 7-Mile beach IMO.

Google/search for comparison between the 2 lines and the destinations they offer. Way too much info to get all the information needed to make that decision. I would suggest you give your friend the links to cruise critic and tripadvisor for reviews of ships as well as ports.

I would advise to go with Caribbean ports over Bahamas. I think St Thomas/St. Marten/Grand Turk itineraries are ideal for a first time as they are safe and have loads of activities and options close to the port.

Don't waste time or money on the Bahamas. Other islands are so much better.

HMC is consistently called the best place to visit on this forum. Nassau has tons to do as well. I'm not sure what, in your mind, makes the Bahamas a "waste of time/money."

Definitely fly into Florida (Port Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale or Miami) or Galveston TX....

do a 5-6-7 day cruise, nothing shorter.

Galveston --- Western Caribbean to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan.... we love this itinerary.

Florida -- Magic or Glory or Conquest... Bahamas, Eastern or Western Carib. Good ships, lots to do and good ports.

My first 2 choices with teenagers would be the Vista or the Breeze. I haven't sailed on the Vista but the Breeze would be great for teenagers, the Vista has some activities that the Breeze doesn't so start with those 2 ships and see what is available for the itinerary.

My first cruise was to the Caribbean and I loved it. We left from San Juan and did a different port every day. For me the Bahamas are good for quick getaways. I have only done 4-5 days to the Bahamas. We are really big on culture and experience native everything. The Caribbean is good for that as well.

I prefer the Caribbean to the Bahamas. I prefer 7 or 8 days. I like Magic & Breeze for the ropes courses & additional slides. I also like the patio area outside the Red Frog Pub. I haven't been on Vista, but want to sail her one day.