Newbie Requesting Information and Advise from Cruise Critic Members

jennaja

Hi, I've just bought a Canada/New England cruise on the Regal Princess for my Mom and I sailing round trip out of New York on 9/23/17. It's been at least 25 years since I've been to the East Coast, so I'm hoping some of you can answer some of my many questions.

1. We're arriving at JFK at around 8am following a red-eye flight from the East Coast. Do hotels allow check-in that early? If not, how do you deal with the exhaustion from being up all night?

2. What are the best transportation options from JFK to a Manhattan hotel?

3. Your hotel recommendations? I'm considering the Courtyard Marriott in the Wall Street area because (I think) we may be able to watch our ship come in from there. Any thoughts on staying in that area? We want to do the touristy things (Hop-On, Hop-Off; Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty; Rockefeller Center; Empire State Building' Central Park; maybe a nighttime bus tour of the city lights. We're not particularly interested in Times Square.

4. Best transportation options from Manhattan hotel to the Port of Brooklyn, and back to a Manhattan hotel post-cruise? We both have good mobility, but are not really interested in lugging our suitcases for long distances.

5. Due to available flight times, we will need to stay 1 night post-cruise as well. Any recommendations on the best area to stay?

6. We will need to catch an 8:30 am flight from Newark the day after disembarkation. What would be the best transportation options from our hotel (which will hopefully be in Manhattan) to the airport. How early would we need to check out of our hotel to reach the airport by 7am?

7. Will there be porters at the pier to take our luggage when the taxi drops us off at the pier? If yes, what is an appropriate tip?

7. Last time I was in NY, I remember thinking nearly everyone had their hand out for a tip. Any advise onwho to tip, when, and how much? I recall the guy who opens the front door to the hotel, the one who puts your bags on the cart, the one who delivers the bags to your room, the taxi driver, the shuttle driver, ...

We are so excited to be going on this trip, but I'm starting to get bogged down in the logistics of it all.

I thank you all for any advise or information you can provide.

OK, I'll make a first shot. Others will tag on where I fail.

First of all, let's confirm your dates! You said 2017. Do you really mean a month from today???? September is typically high season in Manhattan. Luckily, the US Open Tennis Championships and the fall Fashion Week are earlier in September this year, but that's the tail end of the UN Opening.

1. We're arriving at JFK at around 8am following a red-eye flight from the East Coast. Do hotels allow check-in that early? If not, how do you deal with the exhaustion from being up all night? They will, depending on day of week and occupancy the previous night. Figure you likely won't get to the hotel until 10:00 a.m., so there's a chance. The bigger the hotel, generally the better your chances. Also chances increase dramatically if you're a frequent stayer with the hotel chain, and increase again if you're elite with them.

2. What are the best transportation options from JFK to a Manhattan hotel? Cabs are flat rate from JFK. A car service, such as Dial7 or Carmellimo is also an option.

3. Your hotel recommendations? I'm considering the Courtyard Marriott in the Wall Street area because (I think) we may be able to watch our ship come in from there. Any thoughts on staying in that area? We want to do the touristy things (Hop-On, Hop-Off; Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty; Rockefeller Center; Empire State Building' Central Park; maybe a nighttime bus tour of the city lights. We're not particularly interested in Times Square. Lots of options. If you mostly plan on spending your time downtown, the Wall Street area is fine. Your odds of (extremely) early check-in at a Courtyard aren't as good as from a full service Marriott (for instance), and a Friday morning in the Financial District will be less likely. You will have to either travel by HOHO, subway, cab, or Uber to Midtown for Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Central Park, etc. Look at how you want to split your time between downtown and midtown; there will be more to do in the evening in Midtown.

4. Best transportation options from Manhattan hotel to the Port of Brooklyn, and back to a Manhattan hotel post-cruise? We both have good mobility, but are not really interested in lugging our suitcases for long distances. Defer to Carol, our resident expert. A car service will probably be simplest.

5. Due to available flight times, we will need to stay 1 night post-cruise as well. Any recommendations on the best area to stay? Depends on what you want to do and what you did on the way out. If you do downtown on the first day, I'd probably look at Midtown on the last night and do the Midtown attractions that interest you. That's Times Square, Midtown East, and the Penn Station area, among others. You may get a deal in any of those.

6. We will need to catch an 8:30 am flight from Newark the day after disembarkation. What would be the best transportation options from our hotel (which will hopefully be in Manhattan) to the airport. How early would we need to check out of our hotel to reach the airport by 7am? Car service. You do not want to cross state lines in a cab.

7. Will there be porters at the pier to take our luggage when the taxi drops us off at the pier? If yes, what is an appropriate tip? Pretty sure that's a yes. $5-10 depending on number of bags.

7. Last time I was in NY, I remember thinking nearly everyone had their hand out for a tip. Any advise onwho to tip, when, and how much? I recall the guy who opens the front door to the hotel, the one who puts your bags on the cart, the one who delivers the bags to your room, the taxi driver, the shuttle driver, .Just have a handful of singles. $1-2 per bag to the bellman and probably the same to the person who delivers bags if you don't carry them yourself. 10-20% to the cabbie, and about the same if it's not already included to the car service.

Hi, I've just bought a Canada/New England cruise on the Regal Princess for my Mom and I sailing round trip out of New York on 9/23/17. It's been at least 25 years since I've been to the East Coast, so I'm hoping some of you can answer some of my many questions.

1. We're arriving at JFK at around 8am following a red-eye flight from the East Coast. Do hotels allow check-in that early? If not, how do you deal with the exhaustion from being up all night?

2. What are the best transportation options from JFK to a Manhattan hotel? Car Service, cab or Uber.

3. Your hotel recommendations? I'm considering the Courtyard Marriott in the Wall Street area because (I think) we may be able to watch our ship come in from there. Any thoughts on staying in that area? We want to do the touristy things (Hop-On, Hop-Off; Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty; Rockefeller Center; Empire State Building' Central Park; maybe a nighttime bus tour of the city lights. We're not particularly interested in Times Square. Wall Street area makes sense for the Brooklyn Cruiseport, SOL/Ellis Island. Subway to midtown will get you to the ES, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park.

4. Best transportation options from Manhattan hotel to the Port of Brooklyn, and back to a Manhattan hotel post-cruise? We both have good mobility, but are not really interested in lugging our suitcases for long distances. Car Service, cab or Uber

5. Due to available flight times, we will need to stay 1 night post-cruise as well. Any recommendations on the best area to stay? Downtown with good access to the Holland Tunnel. Another option is the Courtyard or Doubletree in Jersey City with access to NYC via PATH.

6. We will need to catch an 8:30 am flight from Newark the day after disembarkation. What would be the best transportation options from our hotel (which will hopefully be in Manhattan) to the airport. How early would we need to check out of our hotel to reach the airport by 7am?

Car Service. You should be on the road no later than 6 am I would think, but only if you have good access to the Holland Tunnel. I've heard folks say you need a two hour lead time for EWR, so maybe as early as 5:30 am.

7. Will there be porters at the pier to take our luggage when the taxi drops us off at the pier? If yes, what is an appropriate tip?

7. Last time I was in NY, I remember thinking nearly everyone had their hand out for a tip. Any advise onwho to tip, when, and how much? I recall the guy who opens the front door to the hotel, the one who puts your bags on the cart, the one who delivers the bags to your room, the taxi driver, the shuttle driver, ...

We are so excited to be going on this trip, but I'm starting to get bogged down in the logistics of it all.

I thank you all for any advise or information you can provide.

Please

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice or information. Does anyone know approximately how much the car services would cost from JFK to Manhattan hotels, hotel to Brooklyn pier; and Manhattan hotel to Newark?

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice or information. Does anyone know approximately how much the car services would cost from JFK to Manhattan hotels, hotel to Brooklyn pier; and Manhattan hotel to Newark?
I heard that taxi from JFK to Manhattan hotels has a flat rate of $55++.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Sometimes the hotel will charge an early check in fee of up to 1/2 the overnight rate.

You can contact the hotel or the reservations people and request early check in. As has been mentioned, having status with the chain helps a LOT.

If you want to be guaranteed early check in, you need to book the night before and pay full rate.

For dealing with the overnight flight, I try to stay up until normal bed time. But if I HAVE to, I take a nap, but limit it to 45 or 90 minutes. MY natural sleep cycle is 45 minutes. So one or two cycles. If I sleep any longer, I feel worse. And then I cannot sleep that night, So I feel even worse. :)

Where are you flying in from? A red eye from east coast makes no sense since ny is east coast. Truth be told, most people on red eye sleep on plane and then adjust to new time zone. Checking into a hotel and then going to sleep you will never adjust to new time zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where are you flying in from? A red eye from east coast makes no sense since ny is east coast. Truth be told, most people on red eye sleep on plane and then adjust to new time zone. Checking into a hotel and then going to sleep you will never adjust to new time zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was a typo. We're flying in from the West Coast, and the flight time options are pretty bad. WE basically had a choice of arriving sometime after midnight, or 7-8 am. We're using frequent flyer miles, so that may be part of the reason the flight options are so bad.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll do that. That's one of the things on our "must do" list.

How long are you in NYC before the cruise? Going back through the posts and I'm not sure.

A suggestion is to write down your "must do" list and post it for a reality check. For instance, you can go to Liberty Island and walk around the SOL without going into the pedestal. Less time and less need for preplanning. If the pedestal itself is a "must do", that's time and preplanning. Ditto the usual attractions like the Empire State Building. You can get a great view of Manhattan (including the ESB) from the Top of the Rock, typically with shorter lines, but you won't have "gone up the Empire State Building". It depends on what's actually on your "must do" list.

If I'm reading 2-3 days in Manhattan pre-cruise, you can do a lot depending on how your pace yourself, but I'd really recommend listing the draft "musts" and getting a reality check.

I have a tendency to try to pack too many activities into a small amount of time.

We arrive in NY the morning of 9/21, and board the ship on 9/23. We disembark 9/30, and fly home the next morning. So 3 days in Manhattan.

We want to do a hop-on/hop-off tour first, to give us an overview of the area. We also want to be sure to see the Statue of Liberty (not necessary to go to the pedestal if there's not enough time); the Empire State Building and the South Street Seaport.

Not sure about the World Trade Center Memorial. We're interested in it, but not sure if it will cast a pall over our vacation by bringing back the horror of 9/11.

We also hope to stay in hotel with a great view from our room, if it's possible to do that affordably. I have tentatively booked the Courtyard Wall Street pre-cruise, and the UN hotel post-cruise, but I really don't know if those are good areas for tourists.

I have a tendency to try to pack too many activities into a small amount of time.

We arrive in NY the morning of 9/21, and board the ship on 9/23. We disembark 9/30, and fly home the next morning. So 3 days in Manhattan.

We want to do a hop-on/hop-off tour first, to give us an overview of the area. We also want to be sure to see the Statue of Liberty (not necessary to go to the pedestal if there's not enough time); the Empire State Building and the South Street Seaport.

Not sure about the World Trade Center Memorial. We're interested in it, but not sure if it will cast a pall over our vacation by bringing back the horror of 9/11.

We also hope to stay in hotel with a great view from our room, if it's possible to do that affordably. I have tentatively booked the Courtyard Wall Street pre-cruise, and the UN hotel post-cruise, but I really don't know if those are good areas for tourists.

If those are the musts, that's all very doable. The HOHOs can (not always) be very frustrating in Manhattan as they're in the same traffic as several million of your closest friends. Be sure to look at the Uptown loops as that's a much larger area, and typically better traffic (i.e., if you do have a Manhattan traffic day, don't get frustrated and skip the Uptown loop).

Check the weather as soon as you're in town and consider buying the ESB tickets early; this is a bit of a gamble way out as it's possible you could plan on going up on Friday morning, for instance, and wake up to heavy clouds and fog. If you do the HOHO as an orientation and mostly travel by subway, you'll have more time. There's a LOT you can do from the ESB if you're mobile. Somewhere around here I've posted a walking tour over the years from the Penn Station area. From the ESB, you're far closer to a lot of Manhattan than you realize. A fair amount of walking, but in 4-6 hours (or less, depending on your pace) you can see the ESB, Flatiron Building, New York Public Library, Grand Central Terminal, St Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Plaza, the shopping on Fifth Avenue, Tiffany, Central Park, Carnegie Hall, and Times Square. And throw in some great New York pizza as well!

I'd very much recommend dividing your sightseeing into sections. Downtown, including the SOL, South Street Seaport, possibly Brooklyn Bridge, etc., one day. Midtown including ESB, and the attractions I just listed on another day. That's probably two busy days, and if you do the HOHO the first day, you're pretty packed.

I don't know that Courtyard. Over the last 10-15 years there hasn't always been a lot of activity in the Financial District on weekends and evenings, but I understand that's changing. It is a very good location for getting to the cruise terminal.

I would be a little cautious staying near the UN if you're flying out of EWR, but it may be early enough in the morning that crosstown traffic will be OK. As Carol said, being close to the tunnel on the way out is a good thing...

South street seaport was closed for a long time, not sure if it reopened, great view from top of Freedom tower also, no lines for that cost was about 30 a piece and elevator ride is amazing . Also we visited Frances tavern on our last visit and Trinity church all in walls st area

Seaport District as a whole remains open, including the Fulton Market, mullti-story food court along Front Street. Many of the upscale shops along those landmarked cobblestone street blocks that stretch from Water Street down to the waterfront are open.

However, the Seaport's 4 story shopping mall remained closed - with restaurants, bars & shops, etc. that extended out into the East River - has not re-open yet ... that are steps away from the Wall Street pier & tall ships, where tour buses come & go all day long, into the evenings, dropping off & picking up tourists & visitors, etc.

Frances Tavern on Pearl Street, of course, still there - across from Golden Sachs ... 10 to 15 minutes walk from the Seaport area, although ... many of the small businesses in that area pre-9/11 are long gone.

Seaport District as a whole remains open, including the Fulton Market, mullti-story food court along Front Street. Many of the upscale shops along those landmarked cobblestone street blocks that stretch from Water Street down to the waterfront are open.

However, the Seaport's 4 story shopping mall remained closed - with restaurants, bars & shops, etc. that extended out into the East River - has not re-open yet ... that are steps away from the Wall Street pier & tall ships, where tour buses come & go all day long, into the evenings, dropping off & picking up tourists & visitors, etc.

Frances Tavern on Pearl Street, of course, still there - across from Golden Sachs ... 10 to 15 minutes walk from the Seaport area, although ... many of the small businesses in that area pre-9/11 are long gone.

Tall Ships? Are they there permanently, or do they just visit a few times a year? Sounds interesting.

We have a "Harbor View" room booked at the Wall Street Courtyard -- do you think we would have a view of the Brooklyn cruise ship terminal?

Regarding a Manhattan hotel that has easy access to the Holland Tunnel, what part of Manhattan should I be looking in? Would traffic on a Sunday morning be horrendous from the UN hotel? I though our traffic was bad in California, but 1-1/2 hours to go 15 miles or so is just crazy!

We have a "Harbor View" room booked at the Wall Street Courtyard -- do you think we would have a view of the Brooklyn cruise ship terminal? Regarding a Manhattan hotel that has easy access to the Holland Tunnel, what part of Manhattan should I be looking in? ...

Sorry to disappoint, your harbor view is toward the Hudson River as the hotel is near Greenwich Street toward the west, by the WTC area - very unlikely to probably impossible to get a clear & direct line-of- sight with numerous tall buildings in the downtown financial district to the southeast toward Brooklyn - not even sure if you can look toward Red Hook to see the ship, unless you get the upper/top floors to view the harbor.

You will need a powerful set of binoculars to see with clarity, I think. I usually don't track ships coming into Red Hook, but you can go to nyharborwebcam dot com 24/7 to watch & track in anything, including & during your stay in NY and morning of scheduled arrival/departure. It's mobile browser friendly, just make sure any ad blockers are turned off.

CY downtown has good access to the Holland Tunnel, especially on Sundays & anything happening midtown East at/near the UN should not impede ... a quick 6 to 10 minutes drive via Church Street.

As for tall ship, the "Peking" ship is no longer there but the Seaport Musuem still has 5 ships there, one of them being the 1885 Wavertree cargo ship - a large iron sailing vessel still afloat - is -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavertree_(ship)#/media/File:South_Street_Seaport_Boat.JPG

https://southstreetseaportmuseum.org/visit/street-of-ships/peking/

If those are the musts, that's all very doable. The HOHOs can (not always) be very frustrating in Manhattan as they're in the same traffic as several million of your closest friends. Be sure to look at the Uptown loops as that's a much larger area, and typically better traffic (i.e., if you do have a Manhattan traffic day, don't get frustrated and skip the Uptown loop).

Check the weather as soon as you're in town and consider buying the ESB tickets early; this is a bit of a gamble way out as it's possible you could plan on going up on Friday morning, for instance, and wake up to heavy clouds and fog. If you do the HOHO as an orientation and mostly travel by subway, you'll have more time. There's a LOT you can do from the ESB if you're mobile. Somewhere around here I've posted a walking tour over the years from the Penn Station area. From the ESB, you're far closer to a lot of Manhattan than you realize. A fair amount of walking, but in 4-6 hours (or less, depending on your pace) you can see the ESB, Flatiron Building, New York Public Library, Grand Central Terminal, St Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Plaza, the shopping on Fifth Avenue, Tiffany, Central Park, Carnegie Hall, and Times Square. And throw in some great New York pizza as well!

I'd very much recommend dividing your sightseeing into sections. Downtown, including the SOL, South Street Seaport, possibly Brooklyn Bridge, etc., one day. Midtown including ESB, and the attractions I just listed on another day. That's probably two busy days, and if you do the HOHO the first day, you're pretty packed.

I don't know that Courtyard. Over the last 10-15 years there hasn't always been a lot of activity in the Financial District on weekends and evenings, but I understand that's changing. It is a very good location for getting to the cruise terminal.

I would be a little cautious staying near the UN if you're flying out of EWR, but it may be early enough in the morning that crosstown traffic will be OK. As Carol said, being close to the tunnel on the way out is a good thing...

One of the big box stores is offering a "New York City Choose 4 Explorer ePass" for $88 per person, which would allow us to choose 4 options from a list of approx. 30 activities. Does that seem like a good price, or would we do better to wait until we get there? They have many interesting options. They also have a Big Bus New York 48 Hours Bus and Cruise Tour eTicket for $47 pp.

Also, I see that there's a schooner that does harbor tours from the South Street Seaport. Do you have any experience or thoughts on that?

I really appreciate your willingness to share your experience and opinions with me.

Sorry to disappoint, your harbor view is toward the Hudson River as the hotel is near Greenwich Street toward the west, by the WTC area - very unlikely to probably impossible to get a clear & direct line-of- sight with numerous tall buildings in the downtown financial district to the southeast toward Brooklyn - not even sure if you can look toward Red Hook to see the ship, unless you get the upper/top floors to view the harbor.

You will need a powerful set of binoculars to see with clarity, I think. I usually don't track ships coming into Red Hook, but you can go to nyharborwebcam dot com 24/7 to watch & track in anything, including & during your stay in NY and morning of scheduled arrival/departure. It's mobile browser friendly, just make sure any ad blockers are turned off.

CY downtown has good access to the Holland Tunnel, especially on Sundays & anything happening midtown East at/near the UN should not impede ... a quick 6 to 10 minutes drive via Church Street.

As for tall ship, the "Peking" ship is no longer there but the Seaport Musuem still has 5 ships there, one of them being the 1885 Wavertree cargo ship - a large iron sailing vessel still afloat - is -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavertree_(ship)#/media/File:South_Street_Seaport_Boat.JPG

https://southstreetseaportmuseum.org/visit/street-of-ships/peking/

Thanks for the link to the webcam, and the information. What is "CY"?

CY as in Courtyard Marriott Downtown / Wall Street ... it's the only one in Lower Manhattan, unless I missed in my lookup. I know that there are other hotels closer to the east, on Front Street & around Water Street.