Galveston weather concerns

OMG

Prayers to all on board and for their future travels. Be safe.

Question: I hope RCI has a good definition to the phrase "Floating Hotel" I hope it comes with food and amenities, and what about soda or drink package and other activities????

Just saying.

My parents are on the liberty. They plan to drive back toward branson mo when they disembark. Do you think they would be better to stay on the ship tonight - if given the opportunity? I am concerned about them trying to drive in this but also concerned about it getting worse than it is even today.

Tell them do not drive, they wouldn't be able to pass anyways. Stay on the ship or find a safe hotel in Galveston and stay awhile. The idea of driving through Houston is insane right now.

Some people have no clue what they are talking about when they post. Here's just one example above. Apparently some folks only read the word "critic" in the name Cruise Critic and live by that code alone. Then the personal attacks follow.

It seems that in this day and age...if one doesn't agree with someone...or more importantly if they don't live lives in blind negativity...name-calling and/or labels soon appear. This is of course a clear sign of someone seeking to start an argument, defend a weak or inaccurate position, or simply argue for the sake of arguing. All three are wrong, period.

As for this totally misleading statement highlighted above, my same points would apply to any cruise line. It just happens in this case it's Royal Caribbean.

All cruise lines make mistakes, have issues, and can improve their service. Royal Caribbean is not exempt. The difference in posting methodology used is that some of us choose not to whine and complain at every turn, follow a mob mentality for criticism, melt down like a snowflake when everything doesn't turn out perfectly, or require publicly venting behind the hidden shield of an internet post. It's just noise, but happily embraced by a few.

What is most important is that passenger safety is job #1 for the cruise industry, followed by comfort and enjoyment (in that order). Anyone criticising any cruise line who follows that mindset is misguided to the "nth degree". There are still thousands of "inconvenienced" passengers still at sea behind this storm. In this case, with a world-class hurricane affecting the port of Galveston, weather conditions being highly unpredictable, and the Port Authority itself being careful & fluid in making & announcing their decisions for docking...any cruise line would be challenged to sustain the safety first. Yet that all that doesn't stop a few from second-guessing every move, every decision, every minute.

If that results in "inconveniences" for some inbound passengers on a subsequent cruise, it's certainly very unfortunate indeed - but still a distant second to current passenger safety. The irony is that a handful of all-knowing judges have already pronounced their verdict on how this is being handled despite the episode, decisions, and compensations still very much being in flight (pun intended). History has shown that things can still evolve to how passengers are compensated once this weather-based tragedy has concluded - the story is far from over.

It's a shame (but not surprising) some people just don't get it, and never will. So be it.

In the mean time, our hopes and prayers go out to the current Liberty of the Seas and other ship passengers affected by this historical event.

I agree with you safety over profits. Tell you buddy that

It's almost comical on RC thought process the last 48 hrs. I think the worse for them is yet to happen. I foresee a huge PR nightmare. They have lost hundreds of current and or potential customers in the last 48 hrs but yet they continue with this nonsense of we are docking today.

I think it's an extremely poor decision and it shows a total lack of understanding of or consideration for how very dire the situation is in Houston. We are being told to shelter in place. Roads are impassable. The USCG has conducted over 300 water rescues since last night.

The last thing that's needed here is thousands of people trying to make their way through Houston to get to or from a ship. In my opinion, they are compounding bad decisions with horrible decisions.

P.S. My meteorologist husband just reminded me this forecast has been out there for a week. Royal Caribbean chose to ignore it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My parents are on the liberty. They plan to drive back toward branson mo when they disembark. Do you think they would be better to stay on the ship tonight - if given the opportunity? I am concerned about them trying to drive in this but also concerned about it getting worse than it is even today.

One thing of concern is if their car is not flooded out. Do you know if they parked in a high spot.

During Sandy, the cars at Red Hook terminal were ground level and they were flooded.

Tell them do not drive, they wouldn't be able to pass anyways. Stay on the ship or find a safe hotel in Galveston and stay awhile. The idea of driving through Houston is insane right now.

I've having a hard time finding local news for Galveston specifically as far as the current situation, but they are definitely still under flash flood and tornados watches/warnings. Ship may still be safer than a hotel if they are actually able to dock somehow in the middle of tornado watches. Yeah I just typed that sentence. This is bananas.

http://www.weather.gov/hgx/

I am sorry. as I have stated on other threads something needed to be done on Friday. There were plenty of people that were saying oh the weather will be fine and the ship can get back in on Sunday. I will reiterate that these people (especially RC) did not look at the big picture.

This was already a disaster area. Whilst it was calm yesterday rain wise, the forecast was there was a lot more rain and flooding to come.

Those on the ship are unsure of what is happening. What is worse is that RC gave next cruise passengers a choice. Sail or lose your cruise. Even this morning people are on FB complaining that they are trying to cancel but are being asked to provide photo proof that they can't get to the port. Others that travelled down yesterday, as everything was supposed to be fine, were trapped in their hotels with their cars underwater.

This whole debacle should never have been allowed to get to this point.

My thoughts go out to all those both on and off the ship as well as all those in the effected region.

I also can't believe RC expects the people that work at the port to have to travel in with little to no regard to their safety as well as most of the surrounding area is flooded.

I have been fond of RC over the years but there has to be questions being asked as to how this was handled.

I've having a hard time finding local news for Galveston specifically as far as the current situation, but they are definitely still under flash flood and tornados watches/warnings. Ship may still be safer than a hotel if they are actually able to dock somehow in the middle of tornado watches. Yeah I just typed that sentence. This is bananas.

http://www.weather.gov/hgx/

http://abc13.com/live/

http://www.galvnews.com/news/

WOW - just WOW! Now people are just making things up.

YOU posted that specific amount...I just said that lost a lot of money from the storm...which was reported in numbers both locally and nationally by virtually every major news outlet.

YOUR post:

My post:

As reported in news outlets...it was NET revenue, not gross revenue...and only you posted a specific (erroneous) number. No need to argue further.

200_s.gif

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...already in progress...

The term "net revenue" is kind of weird. I think most people think of revenue as all cash in, a synonym for income. If you were talking about profit (Income minus expenses) it might have been clearer is you called it that. It definitely would have been more clear if you had not left the word "net" out.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/revenue.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not go to New Orleans or some other port and allow people to go home today from there? No one is going anywhere from Houston for days.

Can New Orleans handle a Freedom class ship? Perhaps that area might have its own problems a few days from now.

I am sorry. as I have stated on other threads something needed to be done on Friday. There were plenty of people that were saying oh the weather will be fine and the ship can get back in on Sunday. I will reiterate that these people (especially RC) did not look at the big picture.

This was already a disaster area. Whilst it was calm yesterday rain wise, the forecast was there was a lot more rain and flooding to come.

Those on the ship are unsure of what is happening. What is worse is that RC gave next cruise passengers a choice. Sail or lose your cruise. Even this morning people are on FB complaining that they are trying to cancel but are being asked to provide photo proof that they can't get to the port. Others that travelled down yesterday, as everything was supposed to be fine, were trapped in their hotels with their cars underwater.

This whole debacle should never have been allowed to get to this point.

My thoughts go out to all those both on and off the ship as well as all those in the effected region.

I also can't believe RC expects the people that work at the port to have to travel in with little to no regard to their safety as well as most of the surrounding area is flooded.

I have been fond of RC over the years but there has to be questions being asked as to how this was handled.

What is RCI thinking of when they elect to debark 2,000 plus people into a disaster area?

The fact that their motor coaches are being used by emergency services just goes to show that they have no way of getting anyone out of Galveston. The person that made the decision to bring that ship into port should be fired. I hope they don't expect the passengers to leave the ship Monday if they have no way of getting out of town. But Royals making record profits, so Bayley is a rockstar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is RCI thinking of when they elect to debark 2,000 plus people into a disaster area?

Agree completely.

The only people I have seen helping and not being greedy is the local hotels. They are offering people stuck on the island waiting for ships discounted rates. I saw the Hilton and San Luis both for $89 or less.

Are the 3 carnival ships planning to go to the Galveston port?

They just said they will stay at Sea until port tells them it's ok to go back. They all restocked at New Orleans to stay at Sea for the long haul.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my employer would never expect me to travel to a natural disaster area for work. A company that expects it customers to do so is indefensible.

We live 5 hours South of Houston and DW's employer did schedule a curtailed day in advance of the storm. As it turned out, the storm did not hit us and the day was cancelled for nothing. Hourly folks she worked with did not get paid and of course they complained.

Weather is unpredictable, this storm in particular and their would have been complaints if they guessed the other way and the storm did not hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that they want to get into port and then if people who live in the area want to debark they can. If the airports are still closed and main roads impassable then passengers have a free floating hotel. I do not believe anyone will be forced to leave until airports and roads are open again. I could be wrong but we shall see shortly.

That's the plan. No one's being put off the ship until it's safe.

I believe that they want to get into port and then if people who live in the area want to debark they can. If the airports are still closed and main roads impassable then passengers have a free floating hotel. I do not believe anyone will be forced to leave until airports and roads are open again. I could be wrong but we shall see shortly.

Please keep your comments to yourself. You are way too reasonable and thus may tend to disrupt all the theories this thread has going.

Coming into port does not necessarily mean debarking. I believe this gives people options. If they want to venture out and try to make it home they can. If they want to stay on the ship they can. People living in Galveston and Houston have the option now to travel if they want so the cruise passengers should be able to do the same. I don't believe for one minute that RCCL will force passengers off of the ship until they can safely reach their destination.