Alaska with Teenagers, August 2018....Which Ship?

travelbug4

We are thinking about a cruise to Alaska, August 2018 with our 15 and 13 year old. Does anyone have any suggestions on ships? Our priority is obviously to see the amazing scenery in Alaska. But I wanted to also choose a ship that might have a few fun things to do when not sightseeing.

We want to definitely be on a ship that does Glacier Bay National Park...which I've noticed eliminates a bunch of ships. And I'm thinking we want to depart and return to the same port.

Thanks for your help!

Have a look at the description for Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Sea. It has a lot of onboard diversions your kids might enjoy. Voyages on this ship to Alaska doesn't call at Glacier Bay but Tracey's Arm is spectacular as well.

The 138,000-ton Explorer of the Seas is loaded with recreational amenities: an ice-skating rink, in-line skating track, rock-climbing wall, television studio and full-size, open-air basketball court. The Royal Promenade, which runs through the center of the ship, is longer than a football field and wide enough to accommodate three lanes of traffic. Here you'll find restaurants, shops, entertainment and street performers. The basketball court converts to a volleyball court, and there's also a golf simulator, nine-hole miniature golf course and jogging track. Adventure Beach, just for families, has its own pool. Spots for socializing include a champagne bar, cigar club, sports bar, jazz club, dance club and a cocktail lounge at the top of the ship. Hungry? There's a casual grill, ice-cream parlor, the Windjammer Cafe and Johnny Rocket's, modeled after an authentic 1950s diner (complete with jukebox).

Have a look at the description for Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Sea. It has a lot of onboard diversions your kids might enjoy. Voyages on this ship to Alaska doesn't call at Glacier Bay but Tracey's Arm is spectacular as well.

Honestly -this ship has the worst itinerary in Alaska. If you want to see Alaska, pick something else.

We are thinking about a cruise to Alaska, August 2018 with our 15 and 13 year old.
Any chance you can do the trip a few weeks earlier in July.... August starts to get statistically wet.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/skagway/alaska/united-states/usak0225

At this time.... I like Princess ships for that age group.

Good idea to skip the pixie dust for Glacier Bay.

Another thing to keep in mind, activities such as rock walls, slides, flowriders, etc are outside. The weather in Alaska is not like the Caribbean.

Really, pick a ship for the itinerary you want. The teens will find something to do while on the ship.

All great info! Thank you!!

I've heard the weather in July is much better but unfortunately, we can't get away until after the 6th of August.

I'll keep studying itineraries and length of time in port. I'm beginning to realize that maybe a one-way with a three day land tour (before?) may be the way to go? All of the week cruises that include Glacier (and return to the same port) are only in port three of the seven days. Unless they depart from Seattle then they drop in Canada for a day...Must be that rule where a ship leaving the US has to stop in a foreign port? Is it best to add a land portion to get the most out of the trip? This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for us.

Thanks again.

Yes, the PVSA requires that non-US flagged ships sailing round trip from US ports stop in a near distant port. That's why the one ways operate to/from Vancouver.

Most of the round trips go to Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway (with the stop in Victoria). Some of the one ways also may go to Sitka. This is the norm for an Alaskan cruise.

As to whether or not to do the land tour? If I could, I would. But I would make my own tour, and not do a cruise line one. If all you can do is the 7 days, I would just do a round trip out of Seattle and call it a day.