Got your crystal ball?

A&Jfamily

I know there are many that are effected by Harvey...and I feel for them. So, I am in no way trying to disparage the anxiety this will cause. But said, we might as well have some fun with this one...when life hands you lemons, make lemonade! I would love to see everyone's predictions as to how this will play out for the affected ships...

I know Carnival is citing Valor, Breeze and Freedom...not sure if there are others.

1) what will happen to those already aboard?

2) what changes will be made to the cruises leaving this weekend?

3) what if any compensation will be offered and to whom?

Ladies and Gentleman,...place your bets!

I know there are many that are effected by Harvey...and I feel for them. So, I am in no way trying to disparage the anxiety this will cause. But said, we might as well have some fun with this one...when life hands you lemons, make lemonade! I would love to see everyone's predictions as to how this will play out for the affected ships...

I know Carnival is citing Valor, Breeze and Freedom...not sure if there are others.

I just heard on the news that the port of Galveston is closed, the entire area is being evacuated.

I believe that no ships will come in or leave from. Those now on board will get a few days added to their cruise. Those scheduled to leave this weekend will have their cruise shortened.

Comp may vary based on whether you cancel (full refund) or take the shortened cruise with a 50% credit.

People on the ships will be kept safe. I worry about those scheduled to embark this weekend.

Personally I wouldn't head into Galveston. Flight schedules, motel rooms, vacation time. It's a nightmare.

We're about 160 miles from Galveston in the Austin area and our county is under a flood watch.

People on the ships will be kept safe. I worry about those scheduled to embark this weekend.

Personally I wouldn't head into Galveston. Flight schedules, motel rooms, vacation time. It's a nightmare.

We're about 160 miles from Galveston in the Austin area and our county is under a flood watch.

I think that is very sound advice. DH and I are not booked but we're discussing what we would do if we were. There is no way either of us would want to fly there in time for this. We would (if we did not have trip insurance) let the chips fall where the may, hope for the 100% refund option, and buy plane tickets elsewhere!

Please...stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that is very sound advice. DH and I are not booked but we're discussing what we would do if we were. There is no way either of us would want to fly there in time for this. We would (if we did not have trip insurance) let the chips fall where the may, hope for the 100% refund option, and buy plane tickets elsewhere!

Please...stay safe!

Yes, please. And if you're driving, use only the top half of your gas tank. If evacuation becomes mandatory it will become difficult to buy gas-and water.

I just heard on the news that the port of Galveston is closed, the entire area is being evacuated.

I believe that no ships will come in or leave from. Those now on board will get a few days added to their cruise. Those scheduled to leave this weekend will have their cruise shortened.

Comp may vary based on whether you cancel (full refund) or take the shortened cruise with a 50% credit.

I agree with this. Based on the history of similar situations, this is likely how this will play out. But also think about the cruisers that parked their cars in Galveston. History also suggests they will be a loss. With life and limb at stake in these types if situations though, its worth remembering physical things can be replaced while people cannot.

I just feel so bad for everyone whose lives and property are in the path of this storm. It truly is sad. I hope everyone heeds the authorities who are advising the public. It's always best to get out of harm's way.

I agree with this. Based on the history of similar situations, this is likely how this will play out. But also think about the cruisers that parked their cars in Galveston. History also suggests they will be a loss. With life and limb at stake in these types if situations though, its worth remembering physical things can be replaced while people cannot.

I just feel so bad for everyone whose lives and property are in the path of this storm. It truly is sad. I hope everyone heeds the authorities who are advising the public. It's always best to get out of harm's way.

Good Point...After Serving in All types of Public Emergency Service.....and Having Served in Combat.... Comments like this....... " But said, we might as well have some fun with this one...when life hands you lemons, make lemonade!"...are out of line for what people in the Texas Area might have to go thru in the Next Week.

Mike

Mpdog42

Edited by mpdog42
Addition

Good Point...After Serving in All types of Public Emergency Service.....and Having Served in Combat.... Comments like this " But said, we might as well have some fun with this one...when life hands you lemons, make lemonade!"...are out of line for what people in the Texas Area might have to go thru in the Next Week.

Mike

Mpdog42

Well bless your heart. You know NOTHING about me, my family or our service, so kindly refrain from passing judgment, OK?

I too live in an area subject to hurricanes and serious flooding so I am no stranger to what people in TX and the rest of the gulf coast may be facing in the days and weeks to come. I said UPFRONT that I was sorry.

But this is a board about CRUISING - and I asked for input as to how this would shake out. Everything in life cannot be doom and gloom and believe it or not it's OK to lighten the mood!

Anyone who reads these boards knows that, already, and in the days and weeks to come, people will be bemoaning their vacation woes - they didn't have insurance, vacation ruined, can't get time off for another year etc. And while that is sad, many cruisers put themselves in the position by not choosing a different vacation or by covering it with insurance.

I thought it would be fun to see exactly HOW close someone could get to predicting the unpredictable.

I think all 3 ships will return Tuesday. That there will be more than the refund or 50% for shortened to lure cruises back - perhaps 25-50% on a future cruise of equal length. And I predict that no matter what Carnival does there will be tons of upset people, who remained safe and healthy, but lost or had an altered vacation, that want to gripe because it was ultimately their lack of prior planning and understanding about the risks that contributed to their woes. Yes, those cruising now will lose their cars. Have good car insurance. Yes, it's a hassle but it is just a car. And it all boils down to this - if you cruise in hurricane season, this can happen.

So Mike - if you really DID serve, you will agree with me that cops, medics, firefighters and military have some of the "sickest" sense of humor around and use it and laughter as a coping mechanism - in other words, they take life's lemons and make lemonade.

I'm hoping the port reopens soon but i have a vested interest as in i am supposed to be on the valor September 4th and local weather forecast is for harvey to reenter the gulf on Tuesday and head north and hit Galveston on Thursday as a tropical depression. As of now the storm surge in Galveston is supposed to be 3-4 feet, what will cause flooding is the 25 inches of rain. And yes public servants have a sick sense of humor, in 2015 i worked 4 disasters (1 fire, and 3 floods) as an animal control officer. Joking is the only way to deal with euthanasia of animals.

Carnival is crazy they announced that the port at galveston is already closed and the hurricane is far away but that there no changes in this weekend cruises.IDIOTS

I am supposed to be going out on the Breeze on Sunday. Somehow don't think that is going to happen. Hoping carnival will get off their butts and cancel the danged thing so I can get a refund and make other plans. They're going to have to divert to another port, Galveston is likely to be flooded until next week.

The tidal surge is expected to be over 20 feet, so all parked cars, terminal and anything else in the way will be a total loss. Returning cruisers will definitely have a reality check. They may not even be returned to Galveston. A lot is still unknown.

Where did you read this? We live here and haven't heard that, and for good reason. Ike had storm surge of twenty feet in a few places, but it was pushed by 110mph winds. At this point, and based on forecasts the this won't happen in Galveston.

It's going to rain, it's going to rain a lot. No one here is expecting or forecasting a 20 ft storm surge. Cars flooded one time since cruising started here with the Celebration and that was due to a direct hit from Ike. Galveston wasn't flooded for days like another poster predicted, water went down in under 24 hours. We returned to full port operations and cruise ship operation after three sailings from the now closed Bayport terminal.

All four ships will wait it out offshore. The only reason the Conquest came here was due to devastation in New Orleans after Katrina. Galveston returned in a matter of days after Ike, and we've never looked back.

Hmmmm....roll the cameras.... could be a Poseiden Adventure mini-series.

I just got off the Breeze last Sunday. Ironically I actually tried to switch our cruise to this week on the Breeze but could not get a Spa cabin so we stuck with our original plan. Whew!

Where did you read this? We live here and haven't heard that, and for good reason. Ike had storm surge of twenty feet in a few places, but it was pushed by 110mph winds. At this point, and based on forecasts the this won't happen in Galveston.

It's going to rain, it's going to rain a lot. No one here is expecting or forecasting a 20 ft storm surge. Cars flooded one time since cruising started here with the Celebration and that was due to a direct hit from Ike. Galveston wasn't flooded for days like another poster predicted, water went down in under 24 hours. We returned to full port operations and cruise ship operation after three sailings from the now closed Bayport terminal.

All four ships will wait it out offshore. The only reason the Conquest came here was due to devastation in New Orleans after Katrina. Galveston returned in a matter of days after Ike, and we've never looked back.

It was on the 6 pm news and just repeated on the 11 pm news, all major stations. 3 feet of rain, surge has been upgraded to possibly 30 feet, major flooding and 130 MPH winds. Don't kill the messenger. Please stay safe.

Good Point...After Serving in All types of Public Emergency Service.....and Having Served in Combat.... Comments like this " But said, we might as well have some fun with this one...when life hands you lemons, make lemonade!"...are out of line for what people in the Texas Area might have to go thru in the Next Week.

Mike

Mpdog42

Well bless your heart. You know NOTHING about me, my family or our service, so kindly refrain from passing judgment, OK?

I too live in an area subject to hurricanes and serious flooding so I am no stranger to what people in TX and the rest of the gulf coast may be facing in the days and weeks to come. I said UPFRONT that I was sorry.

But this is a board about CRUISING - and I asked for input as to how this would shake out. Everything in life cannot be doom and gloom and believe it or not it's OK to lighten the mood!

Anyone who reads these boards knows that, already, and in the days and weeks to come, people will be bemoaning their vacation woes - they didn't have insurance, vacation ruined, can't get time off for another year etc. And while that is sad, many cruisers put themselves in the position by not choosing a different vacation or by covering it with insurance.

I thought it would be fun to see exactly HOW close someone could get to predicting the unpredictable.

I think all 3 ships will return Tuesday. That there will be more than the refund or 50% for shortened to lure cruises back - perhaps 25-50% on a future cruise of equal length. And I predict that no matter what Carnival does there will be tons of upset people, who remained safe and healthy, but lost or had an altered vacation, that want to gripe because it was ultimately their lack of prior planning and understanding about the risks that contributed to their woes. Yes, those cruising now will lose their cars. Have good car insurance. Yes, it's a hassle but it is just a car. And it all boils down to this - if you cruise in hurricane season, this can happen.

So Mike - if you really DID serve, you will agree with me that cops, medics, firefighters and military have some of the "sickest" sense of humor around and use it and laughter as a coping mechanism - in other words, they take life's lemons and make lemonade.

You know..... I could play the "one" up game all day with you....But you know what.... I really don't care,and yes... "We".. do use Sick Humor but we don't use it around "Civilians" like you.....I think your post was in "Bad Taste" and that's my "Opinion" and well leave it like that.

God Bless Texas (Hopefully Now)

Mpdog42

Edited by mpdog42
Addition

It was on the 6 pm news and just repeated on the 11 pm news, all major stations. 3 feet of rain, surge has been upgraded to possibly 30 feet, major flooding and 130 MPH winds. Don't kill the messenger. Please stay safe.

I think you're referring to the areas near Corpus Christi. Galveston isn't in that affected area. I do think it's a bit optimistic to think that the port will resume operations before at least Tues, but we'll see. Wouldn't surprise me to see the ships divert to another port.

Looking at all options, I think two Carnival ships could turn around in NOLA on Sat. One ship could do NOLA on Sunday, and another could go to Mobile on Sunday. There are four ships out there - one is Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas. EM

Saying 40 inches of rain is coming in. Historically Galveston has never seen this much rain. Flooding is going to happen.

No way ships will be able to make port for a while.

Louisiana is also in the same mess. Effects New Orleans now.