Buying alcohol in Dubai

Cassandra14

Is it possible to buy drinks e. g. Gin in Dubai to take on board?

We are on the last WC leg Dubai to S'ton next April. .... if we had a bottle in our suitcase when arriving at the airport...would that be allowed?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I assume you are flying, in which case there is a large duty free shop in the airport arrivals hall. There is no duty free at the port. Why bother bringing it with you, as the duty free in Dubai is cheap.

Alcohol is a very murky legal area in the UAE as technically to purchase or consume alcohol in the country you should have a liquor licence, but in reality the rule is not enforced unless you are unlucky enough to get arrested for something else......

I read this as you are flying INTO Dubai to join a cruise?

There is a very well stocked duty free shop at arrivals with very very good prices ( mostly cheaper than LHR for example). Also you will get duty free SIZES, that is 1000 ml instead of standard retail sized bottles.

As a non Muslim you are allowed FOUR litres of alcohol (of any strength) OR a carton / 24 cans of beer into the UAE.

Bottoms up!

I read this as you are flying INTO Dubai to join a cruise?

There is a very well stocked duty free shop at arrivals with very very good prices ( mostly cheaper than LHR for example). Also you will get duty free SIZES, that is 1000 ml instead of standard retail sized bottles.

As a non Muslim you are allowed FOUR litres of alcohol (of any strength) OR a carton / 24 cans of beer into the UAE.

Bottoms up!

Hi,I can confirm this as I done this in Jan joining the Aurora,cheers,Brian.

I assume you are flying, in which case there is a large duty free shop in the airport arrivals hall. There is no duty free at the port. Why bother bringing it with you, as the duty free in Dubai is cheap.

Alcohol is a very murky legal area in the UAE as technically to purchase or consume alcohol in the country you should have a liquor licence, but in reality the rule is not enforced unless you are unlucky enough to get arrested for something else......

Could you tell me if they sell wine and Champagne in the airport duty free also, and if so, in your opinion, would the duty free price make it worthwhile to buy it there rather than carrying it from Australia with me?

Could you tell me if they sell wine and Champagne in the airport duty free also, and if so, in your opinion, would the duty free price make it worthwhile to buy it there rather than carrying it from Australia with me?

Yes, absolutely. Only issue I guess is whether they have the wine types you enjoy, but cannot think of any reason why not....certainly seems better than lugging from Australia, IMHO.

Of course if they scan your luggage and find it you will not get it back until the end of the cruise?

The OP is sailing on Cunard, alcohol won't be confiscated, unless you have a different experience to report ?

Yes, absolutely. Only issue I guess is whether they have the wine types you enjoy, but cannot think of any reason why not....certainly seems better than lugging from Australia, IMHO.

Oh I'm sure I can find something I like! Thank you for the information.:)

They do sell a good selection of wine and champagne at DXB arrivals.

Something for every budget.

Personally I bring a few fav bottles of WINE from Oz (In the suitcase! Many post offices sell Styrofoam wine mailing boxes, if you are worried) buy CHAMPAGNE I buy in DXB.

These is a current price guide for some of the champagne...

https://online.dubaidutyfree.com/ddf/category/liquor-champagne/_/N-7xo

It is not that it is totally wrong

https://ask.cunard.com/help/before-you-sail/alcohol?rating=1&submitted=true#rater

Cunard obviously cant make a decision until you are on the gang plank

Have to say reading their answer to the question if stopped I would

ask for a written explanation of why they "consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised."

I have sent them a comment to say they should say yes or no

how difficult would that be?

My understanding is that of course you can take alcohol onboard, however in the unlikely event that you turned up with enough alcohol to start your own bar service, then they reserve the right to confiscate it.

They do sell a good selection of wine and champagne at DXB arrivals.

Something for every budget.

Personally I bring a few fav bottles of WINE from Oz (In the suitcase! Many post offices sell Styrofoam wine mailing boxes, if you are worried) buy CHAMPAGNE I buy in DXB.

These is a current price guide for some of the champagne...

https://online.dubaidutyfree.com/ddf/category/liquor-champagne/_/N-7xo

Thank you for the info and the link.

Well it is interesting, but perhaps not relevant, you are allowed to drink in your room, both on QM2 and in your hotel in Dubai. Why do people go where there are these laws, then break them? I work in a dry community in Australia, I live there for 10 weeks at a time. I wouldn't dream of taking alcohol out there. You are allowed to hold hands though:halo:

One tip for unaccompanied ladies in Dubai is to always use the pink, all female driven taxis. As a (married) couple we found them excellent.

David

What an excellent tip! Plus you are supporting women working and driving there, which I understand is not encouraged.