What do you do in Port Vila for the day??

It has been two years since we were last in Vila and when I last visited in May 2015, Cyclone Pam, had just been over the islands clear.png?emoji-frown-1741, and the town was looking a bit worse for were! And now we are going back there twice in the one year clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

We have been to Vila 8 times now.

The last two visit we did to Vila, I went Snuba driving and the couple of times before that we been snorkelling at different places (Which can’t remember the names of the places / spots at the moment, don’t have my notebook handy).

I am now looking for something different to do…., so I was wondering what do you do when you go to Vila?? clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Also for those who like to snorkel where have you snorkelled?? . Have you found any new places to snorkel?

And we will be duty free shopping and finding wifi clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I always recommend a tour by taxi to the Chiefs' Meeting House, stop outside Parliament House, stop at the lookout over town/harbour, drive through a village then to Mele Cascades. They are gorgeous. Pay the taxi at the end of the tour (approx AUD $80). Duty free shopping - we prefer Fung Kuei, but it is worth checking prices at a couple of other shops in town first. Fung Kuei will probably have the best prices or a dollar or so either way on alcohol.

Our first trip to Vila is coming up and I've been doing a lot of research. We've decided to forego snorkelling here as we are visiting Lifou too.

The tour we've chosen includes Mele Cascades, Blue Lagoon and a stop at a beach for lunch. Then back to the ship via a duty free stop. I think that will cover us for the day. There are many operators, most with great reviews if you're looking for something organised. Prices are reasonable for full day trips too, we're looking at $85pp including all entry fees and lunch which I think is good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first trip to Vila is coming up and I've been doing a lot of research. We've decided to forego snorkelling here as we are visiting Lifou too.

The tour we've chosen includes Mele Cascades, Blue Lagoon and a stop at a beach for lunch. Then back to the ship via a duty free stop. I think that will cover us for the day. There are many operators, most with great reviews if you're looking for something organised. Prices are reasonable for full day trips too, we're looking at $85pp including all entry fees and lunch which I think is good value.

That's a good price. It would include the entry fee to the Cascades. I think that is AUD$25 now.

I had a look online at the entry fees for both the Lagoon and Cascades Austraveller, and that would have taken us to about $40pp. Once you include a BBQ lunch (necessary for the bottomless pit who's tagging along [emoji23]) and the transport all around I'm definitely happy with the price. It avoids the time consuming and, I believe, stressful negotiation once we arrive at the port.

I'll report back on the experience once we return.

This sounjds excellent is it a cruise tour or a private one that we can check out?

Windsor this is a private tour with pick up from the port. Do CC rules allow me to point you in the right direction? If so I'll happily post the details for you to look at the Options [emoji4]

Windsor this is a private tour with pick up from the port. Do CC rules allow me to point you in the right direction? If so I'll happily post the details for you to look at the Options [emoji4]

Thanks for replying Yes CC allows tour operators to be mentioned It is Travel Agents whose names are taboo Thanks

Thanks Windsor,

In that case, we are using Yumi Tours and Transfers. They have a number of options on their FB and Website that you may like.

Other ones we considered were Vanuatu Limo Transfers, also highly recommended and Xander Klaus Tours. I found all to be very responsive to messages and happy to give quotes and options.

Thanks Windsor,

In that case, we are using Yumi Tours and Transfers. They have a number of options on their FB and Website that you may like.

Other ones we considered were Vanuatu Limo Transfers, also highly recommended and Xander Klaus Tours. I found all to be very responsive to messages and happy to give quotes and options.

We used Madmax tours in Vila, highly recommended, we had a great day, Blue Lagoon, Turtle cove and the Waterfalls inc BBQ lunch and duty free shopping. You can find him on Facebook.

Thank you both very much gives us something to sort out

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this information. We've just booked this tour as well. The price is now $90/adult.

Very friendly folk to deal with.(y)

We don’t often book excursions through the ship but in Port Villa we have had some of the best ones IMHO.

Over the years we have done:

Glass Bottom Boat and Optional Snorkel

This was DW's introduction to snorkeling. To this day I’m not sure how I convinced her to put on flippers and a mask and get in the water (she couldn’t come at breathing through the snorkel). She soon had the fish eating out of her hand, literally. We now own (cheap) snorkeling gear and take it on every cruise.

Off Road Buggies

A definite favourite. We were the oldest people in the group being about 40 at the time. :eek: But it was great fun. My sister returned from her first ever cruise this week and she and my BIL also did the buggies and had an absolute blast. They said that their group all seemed to be in their 40s.

Canyon Zip Line

We did very well for people who are scared of heights. I was impressed with the organisation and safety of this attraction. It’s owned and operated by an Aussie. Great views including seeing the ship from a distance.

Thanks for this information. We've just booked this tour as well. The price is now $90/adult.

Very friendly folk to deal with.(y)

I went back to check and yes $90pp but I'm happy with that.

I understand they are also substituting Rarru Cascades for Mele Cascades due to a change in ownership of the Falls. I'm looking forward to it either way.

Enjoy your trip [emoji4]

Thanks Windsor,

Be aware it is not Yummi as in tastes nice like I heard one person calling it on a recent cruise. It is Bislama for Our (You Me) just like the slogan for Tusker Beer , bia belong yumi (Our Beer).

Be aware it is not Yummi as in tastes nice like I heard one person calling it on a recent cruise. It is Bislama for Our (You Me) just like the slogan for Tusker Beer , bia belong yumi (Our Beer).

I already had it pronounced that way in my head, but was not aware of the meaning. It makes sense now though, thank you! I can impress the family and educate them when we arrive [emoji12]

• 4 months later...

Just an update for those interested. We have recently returned from our cruise and the Yumi Tours day was perhaps the highlight of our trip. The did hussle us away fairly promptly at the port but there was method in their madness. We beat the crowds to every single stop and had a fabulous day with a very entertaining and informative driver.

Can not recommend them highly enough.

We fought our way thru the mad taxi drivers (prices quoted made my head spin) took taxi boat to town (5$) had a walk around flagged down a few buses until they quoted the right price and went to the Mele Cascades (good but not great) and then walked down to the secret garden - type of outdoor museum - ok loads of information about Vanuatu - and then got bus straight back to the ship. Think the bus was about $2 and $4 back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the update ozscot1

How big is the group they will take?

My group could range from 5 to 9 depending on who wants to come.

Also, is the lunch gluten friendly?

Thank you

TraceyG :)

Tracey, we were a party of 4 but the mini bus would hold 12 or 14. We shared with another group and it added to the fun and chatter.

Morning tea was freshly sliced fruit and the BBQ lunch consisted of a number salads, fish (caution here, they don’t fillet Aussie style!) chicken, steak and sweet potato chips.

I suspect you’d have to talk to them first re the gluten free aspect. Phillip is the owner/manger and very responsive on FB.

Thank you ozscot01.

I have been told that this is the stop for duty free, I imagine that any booze will be looked after by security on return to the vessel.

Did you shop for duty free here?

Our group is travelling to NZ on return to Sydney, so will I have to pay Aussie duty?

TraceyG :)