how much do included drinks really cost per head?

drkitkat123

Just following from a previous thread I was wondering how much these really cost/head for a standard sort of package? And how much profit they make out of drinks/day/person. Obviously the cost price of drinks versus the cost of administration, point of sales IT infrastructure, extra staff to run back and forth swiping......

We are not big drinkers but have been on Celebrity where you had to swipe for everything and Regent where most things were included (can't quite remember if premium was included) and certainly the hassle free nature of Regent was very compelling even for not huge drinkers.

Cost allocation is a murky subject. At what point are all the overheard costs included/excluded? It is possible at times to prove/disprove the profitability of a particular service offering depending on the costs used. Bottom line ... management usually goes with their experience and instincts when looking at costs.

Start here: you can get about 33 shots (measured) from a fifth of booze. You do the math.

29b125850602a14abe8fb4b4de3a53b9.jpg

If you were dispensing the booze from your tailgate in the parking lot of BEVMAX, you might have a point.

martinis.jpg

figuring the cost of this type of service, provided equally in New York Harbor or off the coast of Zanzibar, is a different kettle of fish.

Start here: you can get about 33 shots (measured) from a fifth of booze. You do the math.

Are you saying that you get 33 shots per bottle? That means less than one oz. per pour.

Everyone says the Oceania pours are small, so this is decent revenue center for them.

Even at happy hour, 2 for 1 pours, they make money.

Most of the higher end pours, Grey Goose and most of the whiskies are all about $1 an oz when buying 750ML bottles. There are a few exceptions on the bar menu.

My husband buys the "alcohol included" on aii cruise, Princess and Celebrity so far and will buy the "prestige" package from Oceania on our first Oceania cruise in November.

There are right at 26 fluid oz in a 750 ml bottle. The cost of transportation, storage, and labor far outweighs the actual alcohol prices paid by Oceania.

I have no problem with Oceania making a reasonable profit from its beverage programs. As long as I a good product, on demand, at a reasonable price, I'm happy. Alcohol consumption is not necessary and Oceania allows one to bring their own aboard for those that dislike the options.

I suspect that the cost price of the average alcoholic drinks of one person/day would be <20 bucks. + add on all of on costs, staff etc

So even if they charged me 50/day in added cost for cruise (and I am by no means a big drinker), to me its worth the hassle of not showing my card and may even be cost effective for them with reduced hassle and accountability

I suspect that the cost price of the average alcoholic drinks of one person/day would be <20 bucks. + add on all of on costs, staff etc

So even if they charged me 50/day in added cost for cruise (and I am by no means a big drinker), to me its worth the hassle of not showing my card and may even be cost effective for them with reduced hassle and accountability

Agree with you. We have paid for the premium alcohol package just to avoid the hassle. It is worth it to us (and we are not big drinkers either). I do find it of interest that Oceania's competition (Azamara and Viking Ocean) have cocktails at a much more reasonable cost and I'm sure that they are still making a profit. While I cannot attest to the strength of their drinks, it is safe to say that the pours would not be less than on Oceania.

Agree with you. We have paid for the premium alcohol package just to avoid the hassle. It is worth it to us (and we are not big drinkers either). I do find it of interest that Oceania's competition (Azamara and Viking Ocean) have cocktails at a much more reasonable cost and I'm sure that they are still making a profit. While I cannot attest to the strength of their drinks, it is safe to say that the pours would not be less than on Oceania.

I think you are missing their point. drkitkat123 is alluding to not wanting to the hassle of showing a card. Buying the premium package does not mean that they will not ask for the card. You will still have that same 'hassle". and AZ would also need a card if not on their base included drinks so I don't know what that reference to other cruise lines is about, unless the more relevant Regent where a card is never required.

I think cost has little to do with it but revenue is the objective. If they go all inclusive they would not markup the cruise fare by $20 per day but rather $60 per day that they sell it for now. Well obviously can take less as that is $60 pd for all vs. $60 pd for some. But then there would be those potential customers who would not want to pay for drinks they do not want. I know I am paying for someone's diet coke needs, the selection of bottled water I skip, for evening shows I only sometimes take in, for those surf and waygu (?) turf burgers in Waves, etc. I am all okay with all that. In fact I like that. I admit I drink more espresso than if I was handed a chit to sign each time (thank-you all). And while I do drink, I prefer to have the option of buying a drink or buying a package. The ambience of all inclusive would be nice I do agree. But I would not want to pay for excursions I am very unlikely to take.

There is a solution coming. I can have my package and not sign too. Princess is first to roll out (hugely expensive) IT installation to replace the ship's key card. A small RFID tagged "medallion", tastefully worn on the wrist like a bracelet, around the neck, in ones pocket for the more modest. Along with sensors and displays throughout the ship, your every want and need can be provided for, even anticipated. Show up at dinner and they will be instantly alerted Drkitkat123 is on deck; "perhaps your usual shaken not stirred Vesper martini tonight, sir". It will know all. I can not have a package and order at will and you can have a package and no chits, no card, no signing needed. Just need to be happy that they know all about you, track your every move. But as was mentioned on another thread, trying to avoid all that is so 1990's. It's an AI world after all.

Once the staff gets to know you and realize you're bib , they rarely ask for your card until you're ready to leave the venue. Only exception might be if they, or the bartender, is rotating off shift or to another venue. For those not bib, yep they may well make you show the card each time.