Anyone know what kosher dishes that they make for the main dining room?

A friend was able to order baked salmon on Celebrity and RCI. She contacted the cruise lines ahead of time and also discussed with the dining room managers when she boarded. They took very good care of her.

The fish was double wrapped in aluminum foil and baked in the oven. Nothing was added prior to baking - no seasoning, oil, or butter. They did the same with vegetables. They brought the food to her still wrapped. She brought her own bottle of kosher salad dressing for her green salad.

She was also able to order the prepackaged kosher meals. I believe she selected her prepackaged meal choices about a month prior to the cruise, so that they would be on board. Several different kosher desserts were also available.

She also brought her own kosher grape juice boxes for Shabbat. Also, she brought a small battery-powered Shabbat "candle" onboard. She had to explain/show it to security when she checked in for the cruise.

If this food/cooking method is acceptable to you, contact the cruise line.

Hope this info is useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you are on a specific Kosher cruise (where they will Kosher a galley and bring rental dishes aboard), the Kosher meals are prepared ahead of time and brought on to the ship frozen from a local supplier. They will be heated and brought to you on a paper plate, still wrapped, along with plastic silverware.

A friend was able to order baked salmon on Celebrity and RCI. She contacted the cruise lines ahead of time and also discussed with the dining room managers when she boarded. They took very good care of her.

The fish was double wrapped in aluminum foil and baked in the oven. Nothing was added prior to baking - no seasoning, oil, or butter. They did the same with vegetables. They brought the food to her still wrapped. She brought her own bottle of kosher salad dressing for her green salad.

She was also able to order the prepackaged kosher meals. I believe she selected her prepackaged meal choices about a month prior to the cruise, so that they would be on board. Several different kosher desserts were also available.

She also brought her own kosher grape juice boxes for Shabbat. Also, she brought a small battery-powered Shabbat "candle" onboard. She had to explain/show it to security when she checked in for the cruise.

If this food/cooking method is acceptable to you, contact the cruise line.

Hope this info is useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. People bring on battery-powered candles ALL the time. They are great to use as a night light in the bathroom. People use them on the balcony to create a romantic mood. Truly common.

• 1 month later...

I am a strictly Kosher cruiser and have been sailing RCL for many years and there is some truth in all of the above but not all the truth.

The meals are not packaged in aluminum trays like on a plane, but rather each element, appetizer, soup, main with sides, and dessert is separately packed in plastic dishes and double wrapped in plastic. Usually the area Maitre D will come to you at supper and ask what you want for all meals the next day based on the available inventory which he will show you. You can take as much or as little as you want but keep in mind that quantities of each item are limited especially on longer cruises, and when it's finished it's finished. So don't eat all the beef the first night

The food is presented to you closed on paper plates and you can ask the waiter to take it out of the plastic wrap if you desire (it is very messy to do it at the table) But remember there is a problem according to Halacha (Jewish law) if he opens a heated dish with his non kosher knife. I bring 2 small colored kids scissors with me and give it to the waiter. On Shabbat I ask them to defrost all the food and put it on the steam table and not in the oven which is a problem. Also ask for the gefilte fish to be served cold

The food is usually not bad and sometimes very good and they will always give you cut or uncut vegetables. Fish as written above is usually salmon and made double wrapped.

What helps here is that the kitchen departments are totally separate because of the fear of contamination and mixing is not allowed so a veggie knife is just that and did not just cut meat a minute ago

Bread is the biggest problem as sometimes there are Challah rolls but most times not. The bagels usually have a hechsher but you have to check every cruise. So too are the frozen waffles and pancakes

The entire staff is very well versed in Kosher laws and you can ask them to bring you a photo or the actual package of anything they have if you want to see if it is Kosher.

I have never been hungry after a meal and neither should you. Enjoy Be' Tayavon

Very interesting summation. Where does most of the food come from? Do they get it locally, depending on where you are cruising from? Do they prepare it themselves in Kosher kitchen and then freeze it and send it to your ship, or is it prepared by one main company which RCI uses for these meals?

We keep Kosher in our house, but when we cruise, we only do fish (Kosher fish at that), or vegetarian meals. That's our thing. We have cruised with others who have done as another poster suggested, have their food (salmon) cooked in foil and presented to them in that foil packet.

For us, we usually just tell people we are sort of vegetarians and do not eat any meat, instead of trying to explain Kosher dietary laws to people. believe me, it is a lot easier that way. :):):):)

Cheers

Len

Very interesting summation. Where does most of the food come from? Do they get it locally, depending on where you are cruising from? Do they prepare it themselves in Kosher kitchen and then freeze it and send it to your ship, or is it prepared by one main company which RCI uses for these meals?

Cheers

Len

Thanks.

All meals are prepared on land by Kosher catering companies and brought on ship frozen. I was told that they are supplied by RCL to the ships throughout the world along with their regular inventory supply. Nothing is bought locally. I was on one ship that was running a little low and they contacted another ship that was to be in port with us the next day to transfer meals to us

They usually use three companies with Borenstein Caterers being by far the best in my opinion. If you request Kosher food in advance through Special Needs ask for Borensteins. It sometimes helps

• 5 months later...