Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

So on embarking on the ship from Southampton were should you place your bottles? In theory as there are 2 of us with 3 check in bags and 2 carry on bags you could take 5 bottles (not that's what we would do) Does anyone know how they are monitors this.

Hi all,

I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if asking questions that have already been asked and answered.

We're off next week on the Aurora, and I'm just wondering how the new policy is being implemented?

When you embark at Southampton, security scanning is done by Southampton port staff and not P&O. So is a secondary check being done as you walk on board? Likewise, at some destination ports there is onshore security checks, so again do they re-check once you step on board?

Likewise, on embarkation do they check suitcases? I'm wondering, if you were so minded, whether you could stash a bottle or two in your suitcase?

Hi all,

I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if asking questions that have already been asked and answered.

We're off next week on the Aurora, and I'm just wondering how the new policy is being implemented?

When you embark at Southampton, security scanning is done by Southampton port staff and not P&O. So is a secondary check being done as you walk on board? Likewise, at some destination ports there is onshore security checks, so again do they re-check once you step on board?

Likewise, on embarkation do they check suitcases? I'm wondering, if you were so minded, whether you could stash a bottle or two in your suitcase?

When boarding at Southampton there is no further check by P&O and yes, as you have worked out, the obvious work around is to pack a bottle or two in your case, well wrapped in clothing. The cases are not opened. They would be unable to mess around with them given the pressures of embarkation day.

When boarding at Southampton there is no further check by P&O and yes, as you have worked out, the obvious work around is to pack a bottle or two in your case, well wrapped in clothing. The cases are not opened. They would be unable to mess around with them given the pressures of embarkation day.

Don’t like this Selbourne, we have only ever taken 1 bottle on board at any time and now someone want me to take 2 in the case and 2 in hand luggage.

Perhaps it will all be resolved if the company are monitoring these threads. ;)

Unless you are bringing on wine I do not see the point of bringing any booze.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don’t like this Selbourne, we have only ever taken 1 bottle on board at any time and now someone want me to take 2 in the case and 2 in hand luggage.

Perhaps it will all be resolved if the company are monitoring these threads. ;)

Unless you are bringing on wine I do not see the point of bringing any booze.

Like you, we don’t bother to take anything at all now, partly for ease and also because we don’t find the on board prices to be prohibitive. I’m just conscious that this issue has caused major consternation for some people and I have always felt that there is a blindingly obvious work around for those who are bothered about this.

We’ve just come back off the Britannia in and out of Southampton we put one bottle in our case and one in hand luggage. We actually were in limits but there’s no way they could tie it up so yes you can do this. At ports they were scanning your bags and they had bottle storage but pretty sure you could just walk past it. We brought on bottles of soft drinks in ports with no one mentioning them so if you really wanted to you could decant into those. But onboard prices still good,

P&O prices are cheap relative to many other cruise lines but still expensive compared to prices on the other holidays we do i.e driving to the South of France and renting a studio or 1 bedroom apartment.

I realise it's personal choice and we could abandon cruising (only started in 2011) and stick to going to France but it's a little frustrating that P&O claim to only be coming into line with other cruise lines with this new policy, coupled with a 40% increase in auto gratuities, but 'have no plans to introduce a drinks package nor include gratuities in the cabin price'.

Either they are coming into line with other companies or not. Call me a cynic but it just seems to be a revenue building exercise to me.

Reading the thread on here re the increase in gratuities and on the P&O facebook groups, it could well backfire.

Although this thread concerns the alcohol policy I do think the two topics are linked.

What are rules for??? If you do not like P and O conditions then there are plenty of other cruise lines to go to. People disregard rules all the time and cause mayhem speeding, drink driving, avoiding taxes........,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cases and hand luggage are both scanned but there’s nothing to tie the two up so you can effectively each take 2 litres onboard or mixture of the drinks allowance one in hand luggage one in case. But I don’t see the need. Took a litre of gin as allowed on the 14 night cruise came back with half a litre.

Hi all

Just a quick heads up from our cruise got back saturday,the check in terminal are security checks only

they are not looking for alcohol,the cases loaded onto conveyor belts outside terminal are also scanned

for security only and not for alcohol. A friend of ours had one of those multi tools in his suitcase so they

keep his suitcase at reception and he had to go down and sign for it as they gave it him back because it

was less than 3 inchs long.

Ok port we did

vigo had port security so no checks on ship

cadiz had port security so no checks on ship

valencia had port security so no checks on ship

cartagena had port security so no checks on ship

lisbon had port security so no checks on ship

gibralta no port security so scanned on board.

Plus last cruise last year some room service food was free but now you have to pay for all room service food.

As I said earlier declaring is all optional. Crew are told not to force anyone to declare. Off late UK Border Force has started to raid P&O Ships for drugs and alcohol and there was a heavy fine on Oceans. Even crew are legally allowed to keep only one bottle but can buy as many as they want

Don't think cases are not scanned at Southampton, I had a very small penknife in a shoe and got called off the ship to open the case so they could measure it.

Yes they are scanned, but they are looking for dangerous or prohibited items, not for bottles - as evidenced by several others above. If someone is so bothered about the new restrictions, I maintain that they could pack 2 bottles within every single suitcase plus per person in hand luggage and would get them all on board without any difficulty whatsoever.

many people speed on the roads or drive using hand held mobile phones without getting caught. But some, probably a small percentage, do get caught. One can regard that as a risk worth taking or believe that standing the risk of being caught is not worth the risk. I guess that will be true with this policy. Do you want to be the one that is caught?

many people speed on the roads or drive using hand held mobile phones without getting caught. But some, probably a small percentage, do get caught. One can regard that as a risk worth taking or believe that standing the risk of being caught is not worth the risk. I guess that will be true with this policy. Do you want to be the one that is caught?
But even if you are caught, the alcohol is just put in storage. There is no penalty or fine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

What are rules for??? If you do not like P and O conditions then there are plenty of other cruise lines to go to. People disregard rules all the time and cause mayhem speeding, drink driving, avoiding taxes........,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tend to be a definite rule follower so agree to an extent: however P&O changed this policy after people had booked their cruises, with no consultation and very little lead in time to the change considering how far ahead they choose to sell cruises.

It hits wine drinkers in particular.

I can see that anyone who booked their cruise while the old rules were still in the T&Cs could be annoyed and decide to take something extra with them. They have a booking that says they can and P&O can’t just amend that unilaterally.

Going forward if people don’t like the rules they can indeed move line or lobby to have them changed.

We're on Arcadia in May.

Can someone please advise...

How do I purchase bottles of spirits for my cabin?

What is the on-board price of a 1L bottle of Smirnoff vodka, 1L of Grey Goose vodka, and 1L bottle of single malt whisky (e.g. Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie).

Thank you

We're on Arcadia in May.

Can someone please advise...

How do I purchase bottles of spirits for my cabin?

What is the on-board price of a 1L bottle of Smirnoff vodka, 1L of Grey Goose vodka, and 1L bottle of single malt whisky (e.g. Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie).

Thank you

This is the in cabin price list, they are all Ltr bottles and generally export strength

d80969e332dda0661501cb3de9c5b860.jpg

Thank you.

The prices compare very well with UK supermarkets. Average price for Glenmorangie is around £36, Smirnoff £16.00, but Grey Goose is less expensive on-board. 70ml Grey Goose is £38.00 in all the major supermarkets.

From a personal point of view, I don't think it's worth the hassle of bringing spirits on board, but maybe worth bringing mixers (e.g. tonic) as I expect the small cans are expensive.

I tend to be a definite rule follower so agree to an extent: however P&O changed this policy after people had booked their cruises, with no consultation and very little lead in time to the change considering how far ahead they choose to sell cruises.

It hits wine drinkers in particular.

I can see that anyone who booked their cruise while the old rules were still in the T&Cs could be annoyed and decide to take something extra with them. They have a booking that says they can and P&O can’t just amend that unilaterally.

Going forward if people don’t like the rules they can indeed move line or lobby to have them changed.

Totally agree - that's my issue. We got the notice a week after we booked. We don't really drink spirits and normally bring on a box or two of wine. I can't see us trying to smuggle any extra on board as we to normally follow the rules.

Only saving grace is as a lot of people say, drinks on board are reasonable.

We are just back from Azura and we never saw anyone asked to hand in any alcohol on boarding at any port and although we saw a table just behind the scanners we never saw anything on it.

I cannot decide whether P&O are not really monitoring what passengers are bringing on or whether all passengers were well behaved rule followers like we are. :D:D

We are just back from Azura and we never saw anyone asked to hand in any alcohol on boarding at any port and although we saw a table just behind the scanners we never saw anything on it.

I cannot decide whether P&O are not really monitoring what passengers are bringing on or whether all passengers were well behaved rule followers like we are. :D:D

That’s exactly the same scenario that we witnessed on Aurora recently. Can’t help but wonder whether the security staff are concentrating on more important things such as managing flow, ensuring passengers scan their keycards when getting on or off, assisting disabled passengers up / down ramps, scanning bags and passengers for metal objects. We saw the tables ready to store bottles but never once saw a bottle on them and I find it hard to believe that with the many thousands of passenger movements throughout the cruise that not a single passenger violated the new policy.

That’s exactly the same scenario that we witnessed on Aurora recently. Can’t help but wonder whether the security staff are concentrating on more important things such as managing flow, ensuring passengers scan their keycards when getting on or off, assisting disabled passengers up / down ramps, scanning bags and passengers for metal objects. We saw the tables ready to store bottles but never once saw a bottle on them and I find it hard to believe that with the many thousands of passenger movements throughout the cruise that not a single passenger violated the new policy.

As I have mentioned earlier the security staff are there to check prohibited items like knives drugs etc not alcohol bottles. One gangway is manned by restaurant staff and other by bar staff. As per training given by P&O they have told not to force anyone to declare. So it's upto you whether you want to declare or not. Remember it's extra work for the crew to carry all the bottles back to Bar Manager office. The restaurant & Bar staff are not Custom Officers.