Mini suite for Alaska?

villauk

We usually cruise on X but are considering booking Grand Princess instead. Would you recommend the mini suites on Emerald or Dolphin decks for Alaska? Do the aft Emerald cabins suffer any noise from the bar below? Wondering if the covered balconies would be more suitable to the weather conditions in that region? TIA :).

We normally book balconys but we decided to book a mini suite for Alaska so that we would have a comfortable place to sit inside when it was too cold to be outside. We were glad we did that. And, yes, I think a covered balcony is very important for Alaska. I can't tell you how many people I saw on the uncovered balconies below us who had their cameras wrapped in plastic bags so that they could take photos from the balcony in the rain. Enjoy your trip. Alaska is amazing.

Thanks :). We're considering changing over as the Princess is 10 nights and sails from San Francisco - somewhere we haven't been since our honeymoon.

We loved Alaska last time we visited, however it was on Royal and so we were unsure of cabin location, only having sailed once previously on Princess.

Regarding dining, is one able to book anytime dining or is it fixed times only?

Thanks :). We're considering changing over as the Princess is 10 nights and sails from San Francisco - somewhere we haven't been since our honeymoon.

We loved Alaska last time we visited, however it was on Royal and so we were unsure of cabin location, only having sailed once previously on Princess.

Regarding dining, is one able to book anytime dining or is it fixed times only?

ATD is supposed to mean...show up when you want to eat and we'll put you at a table, you choose the size of table you prefer.

BUT, on some ships they take reservations, which makes it not "anytime" IMHO.

On your Personalizer, you choose if you want ATD or TD early or late. We did ATD on our first couple of cruises and decided we prefer TD. Just walk in at the appointed time, sit down and continue the conversation(s) from yesterday. No lines.:D

I think the covered/uncovered balcony is a preference -- there are pros and cons. We did Alaska r/t SF on the Grand last year in August, and had a Dolphin deck (uncovered) balcony.

Granted, it did not rain. However, having an uncovered balcony allows more light into the cabin, and also gives much better, higher, lines of sight from within the room. Nothing overhead blocking the views. We'd do an uncovered balcony again to Alaska, and again bring small umbrellas just in case.

Mary

I think the covered/uncovered balcony is a preference -- there are pros and cons. We did Alaska r/t SF on the Grand last year in August, and had a Dolphin deck (uncovered) balcony.

Granted, it did not rain. However, having an uncovered balcony allows more light into the cabin, and also gives much better, higher, lines of sight from within the room. Nothing overhead blocking the views. We'd do an uncovered balcony again to Alaska, and again bring small umbrellas just in case.

Mary

Thanks for another perspective ;). What did you think of the Grand? Also, where did you stay in SF? Many years ago, we stayed in Union Square but we have teens with us this time and think Fisherman's Wharf may be more suitable to join the cruise. I would welcome any comments about the ship/cruise - good and bad points. TIA :).

We loved the Grand! It was our first Princess cruise, and we choose it because of the SF departure. We live in the South Bay, so no flights or hotel needed.

However, I agree with you that the Fisherman's Wharf area would be a lot more fun for your teens. We did stay overnight in that area a few years ago, and found a good deal at the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf. Nice room, convenient location. Do note that the buffet breakfast is quite pricey, if you don't get a deal that includes it, but you should be able to find more reasonable options close by.

On the Grand, be sure to try Alfredo Pizzeria for lunch at least one day.

We also loved grabbing a latte and breakfast egg sandwich at the IC.

A lovely ship, nice evening entertainment, really good food and excellent service.

Mary

Be aware that the center staircase on Grand doesn't go very high. You simply run into a "crew only" door. Not a biggie but we did laugh at ourselves when we went up that staircase not once but twice even though I knew in advance it didn't really go anywhere. D'Oh!

Go with covered cabins (Emerald mini suite) in case the weather doesn't cooperate. You won't regret it. If you can get the last one on the side, it has a larger balcony. I would then mark it no upgrade so you keep the covered balcony.

I personally would not leave out of SFO. I would fly directly to Vancouver and spend more time in Alaska but this is your choice.

We are booked in E731 on Emerald Princess in 3 weeks. I booked this mini suite specifically for the covered, 18' balcony. Its also not above the nightclub like the one on the port side is. I figured Alaska is all about the views and this seemed the best choice for us. Being the last cabin, we will also get a pretty good view aft. We also had our reservation marked "No upgrades".

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Are Emerald and Dolphin the only two decks that have mini-suites? I am booked in a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck, and I back and forth on whether I should be concerned that the deck is open.

I'll have to go triple-check the likelihood of rain in late May.

Are Emerald and Dolphin the only two decks that have mini-suites? I am booked in a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck, and I back and forth on whether I should be concerned that the deck is open.

May is usually dry but you can have rain anytime. If there is an Emerald deck one, I would go for it just in case. These are great mini suites.

Not sure on that, but Emerald is the only deck with covered balconies.

Thanks for all the comments :). We spent 5 nights in Vancouver the last time we visited Alaska, but our teens have never been to SF, hence us considering a change this time. Haines and Victoria are also on the itinerary, both new to us.

Good to hear no noise from the bar below is heard in those minis on dolphin deck. Is Grand similar to Caribbean Princess?

we have been to Alaska 3 times and love a balcony .......mini suite offers slightly more space and small couch where most standard balcony just gives you one straight back chair.......often time Princess accomodations like mini suites cost more than a regular verandah room with couch on other cruise lines which is why we have sometimes traveled with other cruise lines.....but a balcony is great in a place like alaska

We've done "4.5" Alaska cruises: mini B223 on Coral, mini E725 on Sapphire (and my folks were in E723), mini D425 (I think) on Grand, suite C749 on Ruby for an Alaska Sampler (hence the .5), and mini D305 on Ruby. We're avid photographers who take lots of gear to Alaska, and we find the extra space of a mini to be a near-necessity, but I also appreciate the ability to get just a little bit of space when I want to relax. E725 on Sapphire wasn't noisy at all, but we have stayed in E732 on Ruby for a one-night repositioning cruise and I did find that I noticed the thumping from the club for a little while.

Our take is we'd never do anything less than a Balcony for Alaska, and probably wouldn't do anything less than a Mini. We do enjoy a suite, but tend to save that for special occasions or super-short cruises.

Thanks for all the comments :). We spent 5 nights in Vancouver the last time we visited Alaska, but our teens have never been to SF, hence us considering a change this time. Haines and Victoria are also on the itinerary, both new to us.

Good to hear no noise from the bar below is heard in those minis on dolphin deck. Is Grand similar to Caribbean Princess?

To be clear, the club bass is heard from the cabins on the port side (left), but not on the starboard (right). E732 is noisy, E731 is not.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk