Super ignorant question

CruzinKittie

but this is my first time cruising. I tried to post this under the Elation board but it wouldn't give me the option to post on that board. Anywho...

I'm sailing from Jacksonville to Nassau and Freeport. My ex-husband pays the cell service for me and my boys as part of our divorce agreement. I want to ask him to ask AT and T if they will charge us for using our phones-text, data, calls, etc., from the ship or the islands. However, he's pretty jealous we are going at all so I don't know that he would give me a straight answer or even bother to call and ask. Has anyone tried to use their phone on a cruise? I know you can buy the Internet package but I wasn't sure how all that worked.

Thanks in advance for suffering the newbie :D

Okay thank you!! I wonder if it would be best just to turn off our phones during the trip.

We do this. Phones are turned off and stay in the safe.

What exactly do you want to do? Carnival's Hubb app has an onboard chat feature for $5 per device. Load the app before the cruise. There are also several internet/messaging plans to choose from. Calls from the cabin are $1.99/minute.

ATT has some plans that include Canada and Mexico. They also have several international cell plans. att.com can give you an idea of pricing.

ETA-there is no Elation board except for the roll calls. These can be very informative.

I don't have AT&T but I can tell you my teenage son years ago had a few calls and texts from ours and the bill was outrageous.

I would try being upfront with him and asking him to call and check. I would think if he doesn't want an outrageous bill or simply just the option to converse with his children during that week that he would be willing to check on the prices at least. But I suppose not everyone is amicable after a divorce.

IIRC the social media plan will work for you. It's the cheapest plan. It's only good for one device at a time. Think it's a bit cheaper if you purchase it before your cruise.

Yes, in airplane mode you can do most things, including pictures and wifi. Try it out at home.

We go a bit further by also turning off Cellular Data in addition to airplane mode.

Generally a plan will charge extra for international service. There's two types of service you'll run into on a cruise. 1. International service on the islands. You can either pay as you go or purchase a per day international plan for this. On Verizon pay as you go rates are approx $2 a minute for phone calls, $.50 per text, and data rates are exorbitant. Verizon offers an international pass at a rate of $10 per day if you want to use your normal plan internationally.

On the ship is another story. On the islands you are roaming and using cell towers. On the ship you are using satellite service. The international plan won't cover this, its charged as you go at similar rates to what I quoted earlier.

You do not want to use data when you are roaming. A gig costs you $20 at home and approx $2,000 when roaming.

If you do not need cell service many people put their phones in airplane mode and purchase internet plans on the ship/use internet in businesses in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

but this is my first time cruising. I tried to post this under the Elation board but it wouldn't give me the option to post on that board. Anywho...

I'm sailing from Jacksonville to Nassau and Freeport. My ex-husband pays the cell service for me and my boys as part of our divorce agreement. I want to ask him to ask AT and T if they will charge us for using our phones-text, data, calls, etc., from the ship or the islands. However, he's pretty jealous we are going at all so I don't know that he would give me a straight answer or even bother to call and ask. Has anyone tried to use their phone on a cruise? I know you can buy the Internet package but I wasn't sure how all that worked.

I believe the usage fees of using cells has been covered by others, but....Just a FYI: I am the account owner of mine and my adult sons cell phones. I can see every single phone number they call and receive and for how long connected. I can also see every number they text or receive. I don't know if I would want my ex to be able to see that info. Something to think about. (And no, before anyone accuses, I don't snoop on my sons. I just know that information is there when I view my on-line bill.)

I believe the usage fees of using cells has been covered by others, but....Just a FYI: I am the account owner of mine and my adult sons cell phones. I can see every single phone number they call and receive and for how long connected. I can also see every number they text or receive. I don't know if I would want my ex to be able to see that info. Something to think about. (And no, before anyone accuses, I don't snoop on my sons. I just know that information is there when I view my on-line bill.)

yeah i'm pretty boring though. Just me and the boys and the cats ;p;p:halo:

Just buy the Social Package. $4 a day if you buy before the cruise! I used Facebook Messenger to call home. You won't get any charges as long as it's in airplane mode. If you want to be even more careful, just turn off Mobile Data before you leave Jacksonville. I use my phone the entire cruise for taking pictures. I haven't gotten a charge.

AT&T btw offers a $10 add-on for 24 hours on each line if you have a Mobile Share plan. You can use your data in the Bahamas like you do on your normal plan (for us it's 15 GBs). I will probably pay this when I'm in Nassau next month. But IMO, just cruise! Turn off your phone for a bit.

Making cellular service phone calls on the ship when out to sea is either $2.49 or $2.99 per minute.

Supposedly, you can use Wifi calling on the ship if you purchase Carnival Wifi (never tried it myself)

In port, Wifi calling should be an option (see who offers free wifi at each port)

Do you think Airplane mode would be okay when we want to take pictures with our phones?

Well really just keep in touch with our family via Facebook, that's all we really need to do.

Airplane mode makes your phone into a camera. You can do the social media plan for $5 (day). Entire family can use, but only one device at a time. Also, if you need to check in and print out boarding passes, go down to the carnival computers, sign onto the computer there and print. Example, if you have SW, go to the southwest.com. Only on the carnival computer can you do that. My DH and I shared the plan with no problem.

You said phone is paid for you and the boys. If that is more than one phone, I would always only bring one phone with me, just in case it gets lost or stolen. Then only one phone would have to be replaced. My son lost his brand new phone in Mexico. He thinks it was taken out of his pocket, but can't prove it.

Yikes I think i'm just going to turn my phone off all together when i'm not taking pictures

Keep in mind that if you turn it back on to take pictures and it's not in airplane mode, you could receive texts/ voicemails from when it was off and get charged. That happened to me before... it said no service so I didn't bother to change things and then once we got closer to an island all the sudden it got service and texts/picture messages started coming in.

I would do as others suggested and put it on airplane mode as your ship leaves that first night. It's not worth it to me to risk screwing things up and have a huge phone bill to come back to. Plus it's always better to post pics AFTER a trip to people don't know you are away, but I'm sure you're already aware of that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Make sure you have proper authorization docs with you and/or signed by your "jealous" ex if your boys are minors or you may have problems boarding

I said may have...not will have

But better safe than sorry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your on holiday! Put your phones the and kids in the suitcase and enjoy your holiday! You should not expect your husband to pay for international service! Enjoy your cruise and call your Mom from a pay phone, if needed!

Your on holiday! Put your phones the and kids in the suitcase and enjoy your holiday! You should not expect your husband to pay for international service! Enjoy your cruise and call your Mom from a pay phone, if needed!

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shut the phone off and enjoy your cruise!!

Here is a link to AT&T's International Plan information:

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/compare-options.html

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shut the phone off and enjoy your cruise!!

Yea....um....this will for sure go against the grain, and come, based on the many comments similar to this one in reply to someone asking how to use their cell phone onboard while cruising, will come as a complete shocker and surprise.....you can actually, with complete understanding of the options for charges.....leave your phone on....and miraculously STILL enjoy your cruise!! Who knew right?!?!?

We all put our phones on airplane mode and got the social media package. I could imessage the boys to check in with them and we used that or FB messenger to touch base with people back home. I don't know how people using THEIR phones as cameras affects other people's cruises. If turning your phone off and locking it in the safe is what you like to do, so be it. For those who want to use their phones on the cruise, that's their business and there is nothing wrong with it.