Super ignorant question

CruzinKittie

Do you think Airplane mode would be okay when we want to take pictures with our phones?

Well really just keep in touch with our family via Facebook, that's all we really need to do.

Airplane mode works perfectly. If you get the internet package on the ship you can still use it in airplane mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you think Airplane mode would be okay when we want to take pictures with our phones?

Well really just keep in touch with our family via Facebook, that's all we really need to do.

Keep your phones on airplane mode so you can take pictures with them. As another poster said, don't turn it off/on because you may get charged if the calls/texts come through.

Then, you can just buy a plan onboard, if you choose.

Buy Carnival's Social Media Package. It's like $5 per day and less if you buy it online before your trip. We get this everytime and use it to message family at home through Facebook messager and to message each other on the ship. It works for Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and a few others. When you get on the ship just put your phone on airplane mode and then connect to Carnival's wifi. There is a paper in the cabin that will explain how to get on. Look it up on Carnivals website for more info.

I have ATT and they have an international plan that is $10 per day but they don't have a plan for Carnival ships. In Nassau there are many places that you can connect to wifi. I believe some of the major restaurants in Freeport have Wifi for a quick update. I generally put mine on Airplane mode and use my phone for pics as others do. This is the first time I am leaving my 18 month daughter at home so I have researched how I could contact her from the ship and islands. Also since most phones have wifi calling. I hear that if you turn the wifi calling on before you put it on airplane mode and have a wifi plan on the ship you should be able to use your phone. If my daughter was with me or I didn't have kids I would just go dark for those days unless I could connect to wifi on the islands.

Yea....um....this will for sure go against the grain, and come, based on the many comments similar to this one in reply to someone asking how to use their cell phone onboard while cruising, will come as a complete shocker and surprise.....you can actually, with complete understanding of the options for charges.....leave your phone on....and miraculously STILL enjoy your cruise!! Who knew right?!?!?

Ummm, nobody said you wouldn't enjoy the cruise while walking around with a phone, did they?

I wont do it, but that's just me. To each his own

We always put ours in airplane mode when on a cruise. We use it to take pictures and I have my step counter on my phone, so I like to have it with me for that reason. But we don't get any social media package or internet service for them. It's fine to unplug from those things for a few days. ;)

Turn your phones off. It will be a better cruise. If someone really needs to get a hold of you, they can contact Carnival and get a hold of you.

I hate these blanket statements. You have no idea of other people's needs. Yes, some people have a job where when they are off, no one from work will call them. Some of us own businesses and need to stay connected to take off 14 - 21 days, like my last 2 cruises. We are fortunate enough to be able to travel 2-3 months a year. In addition my iPhone has some very cool apps like, radar, GPS, camera (our only camera), notes, mag lite, weather, calendar, iMessage (work), calculator, HUB app, and Star Walk (awesome) to name a few. :D

Yea....um....this will for sure go against the grain, and come, based on the many comments similar to this one in reply to someone asking how to use their cell phone onboard while cruising, will come as a complete shocker and surprise.....you can actually, with complete understanding of the options for charges.....leave your phone on....and miraculously STILL enjoy your cruise!! Who knew right?!?!?

Yeah, I just do not understand people who scold other people for their personal choices. If someone is asking for information about cell or internet service, it is OBNOXIOUS when someone imposes their own values and choices by nattering at them to turn everything off. Maybe their idea of a vacation is completely unplugging, and that is fine. What is NOT fine is their presumptuousness in telling other people that they have/should do the same. Buncha buttinskys.

Ummm, nobody said you wouldn't enjoy the cruise while walking around with a phone, did they?

I wont do it, but that's just me. To each his own

And yet there you are, agreeing with a message which in its essence says everyone should do it your way. A very strange thing for someone who claims to believe in 'to each his own'

Yeah, I just do not understand people who scold other people for their personal choices. If someone is asking for information about cell or internet service, it is OBNOXIOUS when someone imposes their own values and choices by nattering at them to turn everything off. Maybe their idea of a vacation is completely unplugging, and that is fine. What is NOT fine is their presumptuousness in telling other people that they have/should do the same. Buncha buttinskys.

Wow...buttinsky....now there's a word you just don't see used enough!! I may use it more now that I can spell it!!

But what you said is what I think as well. There have been many posts from folks asking how to use their phones in whatever fashion they need/want while cruising. Along with lots of mis-information, there are also those responses suggesting, turn your device off, put it in safe and leave it there, enjoy your cruise. If someone asks the question of "how do I make steakhouse reservations before boarding" they get answers...not something like, why do you need to pay extra for food onboard, there is plenty to eat! Don't get why when the questions of phone use comes up, they are given advice vs answers...make little sense.

However, I've noticed something else that seems almost contradictory to the turn phone off advice, when people while onboard, post here from their cruise, as I've seen "Live from the Carnival (fill in ship name)" ask me anything!! Oddly, I don't see responses of, why are you posting here?!?!?! Put that thing away and enjoy your cruise!!! I guess then, those folks onboard are trying to be "helpful", but, when folks ask how to get online or use their phones, they get the advice to keep stuff off...I mean heck, those folks might want to be helpful once onboard!!

Okay thank you!! I wonder if it would be best just to turn off our phones during the trip.

This gets my vote ;p We turn them off and put them in the safe.

If you think there is someone you would need to call, buy a $10 calling card from Wal-Mart before your trip.

Okay thank you!! I wonder if it would be best just to turn off our phones during the trip.

That is what we do. We shut off the cell phones, and put them in the safe until we return back to port.