Princess Ship Design

Jimbo59

The bump up is what I like the best! That open air view from the bump up part is wonderful. :)

OK. I guess I can concede that point. The view is much better than the view from the straight around Promenade. However, the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide promenade on the Sun Class ships is fantastic even if it doesn't offer that great forward view.

OK. I guess I can concede that point. The view is much better than the view from the straight around Promenade. However, the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide promenade on the Sun Class ships is fantastic even if it doesn't offer that great forward view.

Too bad Sapphire and Diamond Princess no longer sail from the West Coast. They had wide Promenades AND the wrap-around bow feature.

I have to disagree with you there. (OK, I guess I can't really disagree about the best you have personally seen but...)

The Sun class ships are much better than the Grand class when it comes to the Promenade. There is no "bump up" at the bow and the Promenade is wide enough to have full loungers and still have lots of room for walkers. Our first cruise was on Sea Princess and we were surprised when we found that not all ships had that wonderful Promenade.

My first Princess cruise was on the Sea Princess with my mom back in 1997. We loved that ship. I also love the Sapphire that has the full loungers on the Promenade. But, I loved the Regal too. We never seemed to have issues finding a nice view of the ocean when we needed it. We also had a great balcony. Loved the Atrium on the Regal.

ar, I will certainly make an effort to get the horn sounds on video-maybe not as we leave New York as I'll be on our aft balcony and probably out of earshot but I imagine it will be played leaving some of the ports and I'll make a point of being up on deck near the funnel. I'll also try to get the dancing fountains if they are not canceled due to wind. They are one of the features that make me scratch my head. But at least they are not waterparks or rope courses soiling the upper decks. Regal looks very ship-like and has a nice profile.

We chose the itinerary first as we don't cruise as often as we would like to. We needed something between our January 2017 cruise on the Celebrity Reflection and January 2018 on the Crown Princess. The caveat was that we didn't want to fly to Europe this year. New ports with maybe a chance to see some fall foliage and some places that otherwise we wouldn't visit on a land trip. I am not forgetting lobster....

Carol has scant knowledge of the Royal class and I'll let her see it for itself as she makes her own opinions and has different needs when it comes to ship architecture/usage of space. I won't have to be dragged on board screaming (the screaming happens on disembarkation) as waiting on board is good food, service and entertainment and a big new photo opportunity. I have a new camera and lenses.

I don't spend much time inside the ship unless it is raining which may well be the case in October. I'll dress for Alaska and be happy if the weather cooperates.

45 days to go.

Norris

Norris,

Looking forward to your review but will be late to the party on purpose.

We are on the Royal from Oct 11 thru Nov 5. Med cruise followed by TA.

We were on the Royal in 2014 so will be interested to see the changes since dry dock....most especially the central staircase.???? Has the crush on the central elevators changed since opening the staircase?

DH needs to use the elevator so I pay attention.

The buffet certainly blows the Grand Class out of the water. Fantastic.

Judy

PS Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

monkey see, monkey do... Princess, Celebrity, HAL... all going down the wrong trail... we will go on the Royal for the 14 day TA in October... suspect we will not like the design as well as Grand class. Giving it a try... we have been on Celebrity... not our favorite line for a variety of reasons, like Cunard Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth design... it is all about the $$ on Princess, Celebrity and HAL... miss the more traditional cruise experience.

There still is a promenade. It just doesn't go all the way around. There are sitting areas on the promenade - midship on either side and also aft on both sides. And we loved sitting on the Lido deck at the very back.

If you look into the definition of "Promenade Deck" it seems most people regard it as a deck for walking on the length of the ship often going all the way round. If you take promenade to mean; deck for walking on, this would refer to all decks which would be ridiculous. A small open deck anywhere on the ship which you could walk about on could be regarded as a promenade deck leading to a ship having a multitude of "promenade" decks.

Does signage on board Royal and Regal say Promenade Deck on the deck to which we refer or do they call it someting else?

Regards John

Does signage on board Royal and Regal say Promenade Deck on the deck to which we refer or do they call it someting else?

It is called the Promenade Deck on the deck plans and also in signage such as elevators and posted ship maps. Any activity or event on it is listed in the Patter as being on it.

Norris,

Looking forward to your review but will be late to the party on purpose.

We are on the Royal from Oct 11 thru Nov 5. Med cruise followed by TA.

We were on the Royal in 2014 so will be interested to see the changes since dry dock....most especially the central staircase.???? Has the crush on the central elevators changed since opening the staircase?

DH needs to use the elevator so I pay attention.

The buffet certainly blows the Grand Class out of the water. Fantastic.

Judy

PS Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Judy, we don't get back from our cruise until Oct 23 and that's when I'll start the review so it'll be in full swing when you get back on November 5th. We sail the 14th October for 7 days but are adding two days at the end to spend in New York.

No doubt I'll take pics of the central staircase that had to be put into action after criticism from passengers- a bonehead move rumored to be a cost-saving decision which has probably cost more once the ship left the shipyard.

Enjoy your cruises on the Royal!

Norris