A Bit More Respect For the Crew, Please!

Fern Crest

I've seen and heard far worse. While they crew may be cautious to say anything to these rude schucks, I have no such qualms directly challenging these heathens in a fearless and appropriate manner.

The "just looking" person eyeballing the buffet who just seems to wedge in while there's a huge line? They get told where to go, loudly (but politlely).

The "elevator squeezer" who wedges in while reaching to push the already-pushed button? Same thing.

The finger-snapping "Hey Honey, over here" doofus? A calm "Where are your manners? How would you like it if I addressed your wife or mother like that?" works wonders.

Rude audacious behavior will continue if left unchecked by those of us not raised in a barn.

That's a good way to get into a fight and get kicked off the cruise. I used to be like you but a few years ago I got my concealed handgun license and took a few handgun self defense classed and they preached and preached that if a felony isn't being committed, keep to yourself and don't get involved, there's absolutely no reason to interject into the situation. I'm just saying that if you play white knight and "come to the rescue" of the ship worker by telling the rude person off, that rude person may be drunk enough or enough of an a-hole to pop you in the face or turn it into a huge scene that may escalate into a fight, and then you're both getting tossed off the boat at the next port

That's a good way to get into a fight and get kicked off the cruise. I used to be like you but a few years ago I got my concealed handgun license and took a few handgun self defense classed and they preached and preached that if a felony isn't being committed, keep to yourself and don't get involved, there's absolutely no reason to interject into the situation. I'm just saying that if you play white knight and "come to the rescue" of the ship worker by telling the rude person off, that rude person may be drunk enough or enough of an a-hole to pop you in the face or turn it into a huge scene that may escalate into a fight, and then you're both getting tossed off the boat at the next port

Quite right. Smart people only pick battles that they can win or when their self interest is at risk. Otherwise, stay out of it and let the professionals handle the situation. Impulse heroes are for fools.

I have no problem with saying something to those who are being rude to the staff. Just did it yesterday morning, getting my last made-to-order omelet in the back of the Lido buffet on Ecstasy. Woman in front of me ordered by saying, "yeah, ham cheese & peppers." No Good Morning! No please. And when he handed her the plate, she grabbed it without a word and started off. I said loud enough for her to hear, "I'm sure she's just in a hurry and meant to say please and thank you." She stopped, turned, glared at me and said, "Thanks" and off she went.

I hope the half-dozen people in line behind me got the message, too.

It's just uncalled for. When you ask for something, you say Please. When you receive something, you say Thank You.

I did see something that made me happy. Going up the little stairwell that comes out on the middle of Lido, ther were two older women climbing the stairs very slowly. A couple came through the door and started down the stairs. The man noticed them, stopped, went back up, waited until they finally reached the top and held open the very heavy door for them (and the rest of us behind them). As I stepped through, I thanked him for doing that for those women.

I think Americans and people from the "Anglosphere" tend to be pretty polite and most think of themselves as polite. I had a Russian ethics professor who made me question this. A lot of Americans and Canadians think of Russians as not being as polite because they don't say please and thank you as often, but our professor pointed out there is more to politeness than language choices. Politeness is a mindset and about considering how your actions affect others. Who is more polite, the person who cuts in the guest services line to give special comments about a staff member or the person who waits patiently and says please and thank in order to have her tips removed?

Biggest issue today is people only care about themselves. We are becoming a society that has no social grace anymore. I believe we can thank technology for a good part of that one as everyone is so self absorbed in that screen in front of them, we have forgotten how to properly interact as human beings.

I myself OFTEN try to politely correct people onboard. Line jumpers are promptly advised where the line ends for them to join. Rude, unsupervised children are often politely told their behavior is not acceptable. People rude to the staff members are always given a first hand demonstration by me saying.."they really meant to say please, or I think what they meant to say was thank you."

The worst are the self entitles. It is not just poor manners but they actually believe they are entitled to behave the way they are.

Couple cruises ago these 4 women I would guess in their 40s-50s were in the buffet at a table by us and snapped their fingers at someone cleaning tables and demanded they go and get them drinks. The poor girl looked dumbfounded but did as asked...then they barked at her to go get them something from the buffet. I loudly voiced that this is a self serve buffet and you need to serve yourself. Full service is only in the dining room. The one woman just gave me the evil eye and had the gaul to demand they get her something else. One of two gentlemen seated at a table next to me got up and walked over and told the woman she needed to get up off her big fat butt and get her own food and stop being so $#@! rude. She snapped back she paid for her #^@% cruise and it was their job to do whatever she wanted.

OMG I almost fell out of my chair. Myself and like 4 other tables around her proceeded to inform her how wrong she was..and the whole time she just rolled her eyes at us and was saying things like "whatever!"

The worst are the self entitles. It is not just poor manners but they actually believe they are entitled to behave the way they are.
Typically because, "I paid big money for my vacation," (as if other people did not).

She snapped back she paid for her #^@% cruise and it was their job to do whatever she wanted.
Just like that. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest issue today is people only care about themselves. We are becoming a society that has no social grace anymore. I believe we can thank technology for a good part of that one as everyone is so self absorbed in that screen in front of them, we have forgotten how to properly interact as human beings.

True...I always find it both amusing and abhorring that people think they are so important that so many people would care what they are doing, who they are with, what they are wearing etc and post selfies all day long...it is the epitome of the narcissistic and self absorbed current society, it is really the root of many social deficiencies we see everywhere around us (not just on cruise ships). :(

Just off the lovely Conquest (my new favorite ship!), where we saw some of the most ridiculous behavior ever.

More than once we saw people snap their fingers or whistle to crew members. :( :o :mad:

First time was at the Pizza Pirate. A group of people, late twenties or early thirties, snapped their fingers at the men behind the counter, demanding whichever pizzas, wanting it right away, snickering and making racist comments amongst themselves. I thanked the pizza guys for my pizza, and said I was sorry for the rude behavior, they just smiled and said thanks, and went back to dealing with the jerks.

Second time, a 50ish couple were in the adult pool, and out of nowhere started doing a dog whistle to get the attention of a wandering bar server.

What gives, people?!?

There's rude people every where, not just on a ship. I would never apologize to anyone for someone's rudeness, the apology should come from the ones being rude not from you who acknowledged that they were rude. Being nice to the crew was a nice gesture on your part. You can't control what other people do or how they will act, it's a futile exercise.

I applaud the OP for caring about being respectful toward the crewmembers. Yes, you will get a bad one every now and then, but they are rare.

As for those claiming different countries as being so much more polite, BS. My wife and I both worked over 20+ years a the largest tourist destination in central FL. We met visitors from about every corner of the world and believe me, no country, not the US or anywhere else, has a lock on rude people, it comes from everywhere. Forget that "ugly American", it's more the ugly tourist. Thankfully, most are not like that.

This is very true. We recently stayed at a 4 star hotel in Reno last week. When I made the reservations I specifically requested and paid for an upgraded room. When we arrived, the room was not ready. I asked where we would be located. We were stuck in a sub-par room overlooking a parking lot and road. I was not happy. The person checking us in basically said TS, do you want the room or not? Then he said "I see you're looking at my name tag, here I'll write it down for you so you get the spelling of my name right." Then I bantered again with him requesting a different room. He flat out said NO! I'm not going to argue with you like a child. I couldn't believe it. So when I received the survey after our stay, I told them the whole story. I received an email from customer relations apologizing for his behavior and offered us $50 credit when we stayed there again. I emailed the person back and told them to spend the $50 on additional training for the rude check in clerk and we wouldn't be back. BTW, the clerk was a foreigner - from Thailand.

True...I always find it both amusing and abhorring that people think they are so important that so many people would care what they are doing, who they are with, what they are wearing etc and post selfies all day long...it is the epitome of the narcissistic and self absorbed current society, it is really the root of many social deficiencies we see everywhere around us (not just on cruise ships). :(

This is exactly what I think when I am on social media. I enjoy sharing photos with friends, but the constant selfies make me crazy. Post pics of your family, your latest home improvement project, your vacation, your garden - anything but you sitting in your car making duck lips. And people that check in every single place they go - I don't care if you're shopping at the mall, eating at a restaurant or waiting in your doctor's office. I certainly don't care to read the details of your latest ailment - not talking about those who are dealing with cancer treatments - talking about those who post about having the flu, having a headache, toothache, etc.

Along those same lines are the celebrities that think we actually care about their political views. Excuse me, we pay to see you pretend to be someone else - if we want your opinions, we'll ask for them.

Okay, rant over.

This is exactly what I think when I am on social media. I enjoy sharing photos with friends, but the constant selfies make me crazy. Post pics of your family, your latest home improvement project, your vacation, your garden - anything but you sitting in your car making duck lips. And people that check in every single place they go - I don't care if you're shopping at the mall, eating at a restaurant or waiting in your doctor's office. I certainly don't care to read the details of your latest ailment - not talking about those who are dealing with cancer treatments - talking about those who post about having the flu, having a headache, toothache, etc.

Along those same lines are the celebrities that think we actually care about their political views. Excuse me, we pay to see you pretend to be someone else - if we want your opinions, we'll ask for them.

Okay, rant over.

I think you and I have a lot in common :D