A Bit More Respect For the Crew, Please!

Fern Crest

Respect goes both ways. Give and take. When the Asst. Matrid'i sorry for spelling, stands at our table and literally yells at us over a food issue all respect is lost. 3 nights in a row. Third night DH backed him into a quiet room for a civilized conversation. Yelling stopped.

I'm not following. I think I must have missed part of the story here....

You don't think making a comment it's always the Asians is racist? Seriously....

Since racist is now being mentioned in this thread, here's a post from an ex poster openly accusing cc as racist. Nothing to do with them 'frail Asian guy' at all. Quite amuzing and funny to read. Enjoy.

Why is "Cruise Critic" a racist company?

Reading the reviews on Cruise Critic, I see that John Deiner has written quite a bit regarding NCL. My question however, is regarding the Community boards of Cruise Critic of which until recently I was a contributing member. However, it appears that I upset somebody as they did not understand English Northern humour and I have now been permanently banned from the forums. Despite apologising to xxxx (intentionally edited out) and her colleagues on more than one occasion, nobody has advised me of the real reason why they banned me. I do suspect the company is racist against Englishmen. My e-mails are now totally ignored which is a disgrace and would not be allowed to happen in England.

The vindictiveness of the people who run Cruise critic and their rudeness in not responding is staggering. Would it be too difficult to see me re-instated? I wonder.?

Why so sensitive? You call the pit boss racist and say that he is discriminating against the guest. Not sure that making an observation based on experience qualifies for racism but it sounds like no one was discriminated against. He got to gamble and they took his money. How was he discriminated against, they ask for your room card all the time. If they said you can't gamble without your card and then let some white people gamble without their card, that's discrimination.

Also "frail Asian guy" and "not-very-good-English" might be considered offensive to some people. Would that make you a racist?

good points

The Icelanders and the Kiwis are still very civilized.

DirtyDawg..and Finland. Don't forget the Finnish people.

As well as Canadians.....and Aussies

Ok, those too.

But definitely not the Dutch! :D

(that a little Monty Python rumour)

I worked 36 years in the service industry. 25 years in the airline industry, and 11 years in the health care field, among some other in between jobs. I learned early on, that you have to let the rude comments and behavior roll off your back, otherwise it will eat you up and make you angry. I saw it happen with other co workers, and it took a great toll on them. I believe that the crew on Carnival, and probably most cruise ships, also have learned to do this.

This however is in no way condoning such behavior. I have been travelling for a very long time, and have witnessed airline, hotel, restaurant, and cruise ship employees being belittled and berated. Granted there are times when we do experience somewhat poor service, but there is a way to address those issues, and rudeness, loudness, belittling and berating people is not the way to get things looked after.

Sadly, as others have said, people are people, and you will see all kinds of behavior from them, both good and bad.

So just saying that, long time service industry employees, do mostly learn how to personally deal with that kind of thing. I am sure there are others who dont cope well with it, and probably move on to do something else.

As for rudeness of employees; I only experienced once; a night clerk at a hotel front desk, but ended up with us both laughing and no hard feelings.

Ok, those too.

And us brits are very civilized... can't repeat what i say about some fellow across the pond cruisers/tourists 😬😂... but alot have a high sense of entitlement thats for sure.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

I've always said, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar!" When something is not to your satisfaction, you will almost always get better service by being kind and not making a scene. Face it, no one wants to help a jerk!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've always said, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar!" When something is not to your satisfaction, you will almost always get better service by being kind and not making a scene. Face it, no one wants to help a jerk!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the States great Presidents was Theodore Roosevelt who said; " Speak softly and carry a big stick; and you will go far." I'm usually the speak softly one. Mrs. Dawg, let's just say she didn't get an 'A' in the Dale Carnegie "How to be a Diplomat" course, is the big stick. In most cases, the speak softly, or honey, approach works wonders. But on the rare occasion I have to turn it over to my DW, and those poor customer service folks rue the day when they had to deal with Darth Dawg.:evilsmile:

i've always said, "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar!" when something is not to your satisfaction, you will almost always get better service by being kind and not making a scene. Face it, no one wants to help a jerk!

Sent from my ipad using forums

this!!!

One of the States great Presidents was Theodore Roosevelt who said; " Speak softly and carry a big stick; and you will go far." I'm usually the speak softly one. Mrs. Dawg, let's just say she didn't get an 'A' in the Dale Carnegie "How to be a Diplomat" course, is the big stick. In most cases, the speak softly, or honey, approach works wonders. But on the rare occasion I have to turn it over to my DW, and those poor customer service folks rue the day when they had to deal with Darth Dawg.:evilsmile:

Darth Dawg.:evilsmile:! I love it!!!!

Ok, those too.

Bwahahaha, I was going to type that! And then Mike Myers stole it for "Goldmember" I think?

I have been lucky enough not to witness rude behavior towards the staff, sometimes cruisers get a little cranky with each other, usually when they're trying to get their Cheers money's worth. I would definitely speak up. The stories of "Ugly Americans" (if you are not aware of the term, it has nothing to do with their/our appearance) are embarrassing and shameful. I speak up if/when I see people being treated as "less than" whether I'm on vacation or at home. Some people are you-know-what-holes and some like to emulate the giant orange head.

I don't see describing someone as a frail Asian with not very good English is racist but it could be if it was said in a sarcastic way. I didn't see that here. I work with some people who still call Asians "Orientals", makes me cringe every time!

Koombaya!

Just sort of makes me shake my head and despair for the future of us mortals. I just don't understand the mindset that since they've paid money for something, they are entitled to be treated like royalty.

Well, like someone mentioned, karma has a looooong memory. I try to never get on her bad side.

I applaud the OP for caring about being respectful toward the crewmembers. Yes, you will get a bad one every now and then, but they are rare.

As for those claiming different countries as being so much more polite, BS. My wife and I both worked over 20+ years a the largest tourist destination in central FL. We met visitors from about every corner of the world and believe me, no country, not the US or anywhere else, has a lock on rude people, it comes from everywhere. Forget that "ugly American", it's more the ugly tourist. Thankfully, most are not like that.

Forget that "ugly American", it's more the ugly tourist. Thankfully, most are not like that.
I suspect that some of that reputation came from the fact that when that phrase came into common usage Americans, enjoying the postwar prosperity that many other nations were deprived, were more likely to be vacationing someplace alien to their own culture.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

A few years back while doing my EARLY morning walk throughout the ship, I encountered one of the cleaning crew having some difficulty trying to get all of his cleaning equipment out of a restroom. I reached out to hold the door open and he motioned that he was ok. Of course I insisted and held the door. Now I look back and think since they are instructed to bow to the passengers, I hope doing a kind gesture toward them wasn't a bad thing.

A few years back while doing my EARLY morning walk throughout the ship, I encountered one of the cleaning crew having some difficulty trying to get all of his cleaning equipment out of a restroom. I reached out to hold the door open and he motioned that he was ok. Of course I insisted and held the door. Now I look back and think since they are instructed to bow to the passengers, I hope doing a kind gesture toward them wasn't a bad thing.

I think if the crew member asked for your help, he might be chastised if they found out. But since you clearly offered, he deferred but you insisted, I doubt anyone on the cruiseline would fault him. You were just being considerate and he, I'm sure, appreciated it.

Ok, those too.

Ascribing positives based on race or national origin is every bit as racist as ascribing negatives. Kinda gives an impression of (certain) white's supremacy.

Just sayin'

Just off the lovely Conquest (my new favorite ship!), where we saw some of the most ridiculous behavior ever.

More than once we saw people snap their fingers or whistle to crew members. :( :o :mad:

First time was at the Pizza Pirate. A group of people, late twenties or early thirties, snapped their fingers at the men behind the counter, demanding whichever pizzas, wanting it right away, snickering and making racist comments amongst themselves. I thanked the pizza guys for my pizza, and said I was sorry for the rude behavior, they just smiled and said thanks, and went back to dealing with the jerks.

Second time, a 50ish couple were in the adult pool, and out of nowhere started doing a dog whistle to get the attention of a wandering bar server.

What gives, people?!?

The best thing about stupid people is they can't keep it to themselves.

Just off the lovely Conquest (my new favorite ship!), where we saw some of the most ridiculous behavior ever.

More than once we saw people snap their fingers or whistle to crew members. :( :o :mad:

First time was at the Pizza Pirate. A group of people, late twenties or early thirties, snapped their fingers at the men behind the counter, demanding whichever pizzas, wanting it right away, snickering and making racist comments amongst themselves. I thanked the pizza guys for my pizza, and said I was sorry for the rude behavior, they just smiled and said thanks, and went back to dealing with the jerks.

Second time, a 50ish couple were in the adult pool, and out of nowhere started doing a dog whistle to get the attention of a wandering bar server.

What gives, people?!?

Ok beside these idiots on this ship what was it about the Conquest that made it become your favorite ship ?

Thxs

Sea ya

Éric

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ascribing positives based on race or national origin is every bit as racist as ascribing negatives. Kinda gives an impression of (certain) white's supremacy.

Just sayin'

Actually the Icelanders and the Kiwis were mentioned because they are # 1 and # 2 on the Global Peace Index which measures the relative peacefulness of 163 independent states and territories around the world covering 99.7% of the world's population. There are many factors that go into the rankings but race is not one of them. And besides, adding Kiwis to any joke always makes it better! ;)

As for the Dutch................................... just Google Monty Python. :D

Edited by DirtyDawg