A Bit More Respect For the Crew, Please!

Fern Crest

Just off the lovely Conquest (my new favorite ship!), where we saw some of the most ridiculous behavior ever.

More than once we saw people snap their fingers or whistle to crew members. :( :o :mad:

First time was at the Pizza Pirate. A group of people, late twenties or early thirties, snapped their fingers at the men behind the counter, demanding whichever pizzas, wanting it right away, snickering and making racist comments amongst themselves. I thanked the pizza guys for my pizza, and said I was sorry for the rude behavior, they just smiled and said thanks, and went back to dealing with the jerks.

Second time, a 50ish couple were in the adult pool, and out of nowhere started doing a dog whistle to get the attention of a wandering bar server.

What gives, people?!?

I've seen and heard far worse. While they crew may be cautious to say anything to these rude schucks, I have no such qualms directly challenging these heathens in a fearless and appropriate manner.

The "just looking" person eyeballing the buffet who just seems to wedge in while there's a huge line? They get told where to go, loudly (but politlely).

The "elevator squeezer" who wedges in while reaching to push the already-pushed button? Same thing.

The finger-snapping "Hey Honey, over here" doofus? A calm "Where are your manners? How would you like it if I addressed your wife or mother like that?" works wonders.

Rude audacious behavior will continue if left unchecked by those of us not raised in a barn.

We've seen it too, turns my stomach. One of our favorite parts of cruising is getting to know the crew. People suck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Charlie Brown of "Peanuts" fame once said (I'm paraphrashing): "I love mankind, I just can't stand people." :)

Edited by joepeka

I've seen it go both ways. I was playing a table game when a fairly frail Asian guy asked politely if he could join the table in not-very-good-English. He laid two $100's on the table and the dealer asked for his sail and sign card. They went back and forth for a while, to me it was evident he was saying he didn't have it, but the dealer insisted, and finally called the pit boss over. The pit boss got an attitude but allowed him to play without scanning the sail and sign card. He eventually lost all $200 and politely excused himself. The pit boss came over to the table and announced "It's always the Asians."

I was stunned for just a moment, then scolded him for calling out race. He replied that the Asian men don't want their wives to know how much money they lose. I was stunned again. True or not, why would anyone assume that applied to him. I think the pit boss was a racist.

I told the pit boss "You are in the customer service business, you have no right to discriminate the way you have done, and I've noted your name." He apologized.

I did report the pit boss and I was thanked by Carnival.

I've seen it go both ways. I was playing a table game when a fairly frail Asian guy asked politely if he could join the table in not-very-good-English. He laid two $100's on the table and the dealer asked for his sail and sign card. They went back and forth for a while, to me it was evident he was saying he didn't have it, but the dealer insisted, and finally called the pit boss over. The pit boss got an attitude but allowed him to play without scanning the sail and sign card. He eventually lost all $200 and politely excused himself. The pit boss came over to the table and announced "It's always the Asians."

I was stunned for just a moment, then scolded him for calling out race. He replied that the Asian men don't want their wives to know how much money they lose. I was stunned again. True or not, why would anyone assume that applied to him. I think the pit boss was a racist.

I told the pit boss "You are in the customer service business, you have no right to discriminate the way you have done, and I've noted your name." He apologized.

Well done. That type of behavior is uncalled for from crew or passengers. I too would call him on it if I heard it.

I've seen and heard far worse. While they crew may be cautious to say anything to these rude schucks, I have no such qualms directly challenging these heathens in a fearless and appropriate manner.

The "just looking" person eyeballing the buffet who just seems to wedge in while there's a huge line? They get told where to go, loudly (but politlely).

The "elevator squeezer" who wedges in while reaching to push the already-pushed button? Same thing.

The finger-snapping "Hey Honey, over here" doofus? A calm "Where are your manners? How would you like it if I addressed your wife or mother like that?" works wonders.

Rude audacious behavior will continue if left unchecked by those of us not raised in a barn.

I too have no problem calling people out for rude behavior. And especially if it is infringing on my enjoyment of an event or trip. Nothing like turning around and calling out two soccer moms who have talked so loudly during a football game about very inappropriate topics (in front of their own children as well as other children) and talking so loudly that we had trouble hearing the loud speaker at times. What a rush :cool:

Why so sensitive? You call the pit boss racist and say that he is discriminating against the guest. Not sure that making an observation based on experience qualifies for racism but it sounds like no one was discriminated against. He got to gamble and they took his money. How was he discriminated against, they ask for your room card all the time. If they said you can't gamble without your card and then let some white people gamble without their card, that's discrimination.

Also "frail Asian guy" and "not-very-good-English" might be considered offensive to some people. Would that make you a racist?

Why so sensitive? You call the pit boss racist and say that he is discriminating against the guest. Not sure that making an observation based on experience qualifies for racism but it sounds like no one was discriminated against. He got to gamble and they took his money. How was he discriminated against, they ask for your room card all the time. If they said you can't gamble without your card and then let some white people gamble without their card, that's discrimination.

Also "frail Asian guy" and "not-very-good-English" might be considered offensive to some people. Would that make you a racist?

You don't think making a comment it's always the Asians is racist? Seriously....

Respect goes both ways. Give and take. When the Asst. Matrid'i sorry for spelling, stands at our table and literally yells at us over a food issue all respect is lost. 3 nights in a row. Third night DH backed him into a quiet room for a civilized conversation. Yelling stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums