Would the staff prefer USD or EURO on a Mediterranean cruise?

Sox Fan Cruiser

We like to give wait staff and bartenders some extra cash when we close our tab at the end of the night. We always tip in USD but if we are in the Mediterranean should we tip in EURO? It doesn't matter to us. What do you think the crew would prefer? I am assuming it would be EURO as they can use it off the ship.

Thoughts?

We like to give wait staff and bartenders some extra cash when we close our tab at the end of the night. We always tip in USD but if we are in the Mediterranean should we tip in EURO? It doesn't matter to us. What do you think the crew would prefer? I am assuming it would be EURO as they can use it off the ship.

Thoughts?

From all the Mediterranean sailings we've done, although the onboard currency maybe USD (except for MSC where it is Euro) the staff have expressed a preference for Euros as they can then spend them ashore without having to exchange USD on the ship using the less than attractive rate offered by the cruise line.

This is especially beneficial for their 'essential' personal purchases.

There is a trade-off involved because you might want to do a number of $1 tips, but if you want to tip approximately the same amount in euros you have to use a coin, since there is no 1 euro bill. And many have opined, here, about not using coins. So it a bit of a conundrum. Don't tip because 5 euro is too much, tip with a (frowned upon?) 1 euro coin, or tip with a $1 bill. The larger, end of cruise, tips if you give those, are easier because the lack of a 1 euro bill is not an issue for those.

I have a year to figure this out, since that is how long until our Med cruise.

There is no choice for Europeans in the med, either euro or for us pounds. not getting dollars just to tip. Should give us our OBC in a form that we can use for small tips, ie an IOU off the OBC.

And that's why the crew will take anything. They have onboard banking and exchange too.

One day I was in a shop and a crew member was buying some stuff, it took him a while to find the right currency and I know he had US$, Euro, Pounds, Aus$, NZ$ and others I couldn't identify as he rifled through looking for the one he needed.

Not $ or € but prior to disembarking the Equinox in Barcelona a while back the staff in Cafe al Bacio were thrilled to receive magazines in English as they were so difficult/expensive to get ashore.

Simple things.

Maybe they were thrilled out of being polite. Give 'em cash -- they'll be even more thrilled. ;)