ordering 2 or 3 things in restaurant, lunch/dinner, etc

IamaTexasCruiser

I've only ordered more than one entrée once ( two lobsters, since they are small) and I felt uncomfortable doing it, so I probably won't in the future. That said, Carnival allows it, so technically it is not wrong to do so. I think ordering more than merely a second entrée is taking it too far though. Carnival may not care if someone orders six lobsters and two steaks, but doing so would be embarrassing for me. But that's just me.

I order what I want. As long as I don't waste it, I don't care. Some times I'll order two appetizers, another time I might order 2 entries... but I've also been known to order an appetizer and dessert! A lot depends on my schedule during the day and when I managed to cram in lunch. If it was too late, I end up with a lighter dinner in the MDR 'cause I'm too full to eat a lot. Other times, I've had to skip lunch or make do with a snack, then I chow down at dinner!

Order what you like- no one will look at you funny, and if they do, explain that you're not expecting THEM to eat it, so if it bothers them, look away!

I can only eat small amounts at one time but I will order extra apps or entrees to try, we will share some and also due to a medical issue I have, I usually ask for the cover to take with me. I have often gone back and finished the food after an hour or so. My family does the same but quite often eat all of theirs at one sitting. It is allowed and not wasteful if you are truly enjoying that you ask for. It's one of the best parts of cruising, you get to have a bite of this or that and all for one cost. We enjoy the dining room most nights of our cruise because of this. Of course the buffets have gotten pretty robust lately so we may try that some nights on our upcoming cruises. We enjoy getting dressed and going to sit and being served, it's a treat for us and great for the end of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband usually orders 2 appetizers and I usually don't order any for myself. No one really cares about how much you order, but I have found that the servers appreciate it if you order all of your non dessert items at the same time instead of asking for additional dishes later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can only speak of my experiences at land based restaurants, I've ordered multiple appetizers and we share them as our meals. But we've never ordered 2 entrees. Why would we? We don't order 2 entrees when paying for them at regular restaurants so why order 2 on a ship? Nobody needs that much food. I'd feel sick.

I've only been on one cruise (Disney) and I hate to waste food. On that cruise, my son and I shared almost everything so we could try as much as possible. I would not feel funny about ordering two of anything but I would awful taking a bite or two and having it thrown away unless I didn't like the taste.

Edited by MastersLevelMama

I can only speak of my experiences at land based restaurants, I've ordered multiple appetizers and we share them as our meals. But we've never ordered 2 entrees. Why would we? We don't order 2 entrees when paying for them at regular restaurants so why order 2 on a ship? Nobody needs that much food. I'd feel sick.

Ship portions are not very large in the dining room for many of the dishes. We'll order an additional entree to split between us without the additional veggies or starches that usually come with it.

It's way less food that most people would eat at Lido for lunch or dinner. And we may get to get a bite or two each of something new without any additional bill.

Portions are not very large anymore because many people order multiple dishes. For example, sometimes I will order a meatless pasta dish and a meat entree like grilled chicken. The sides for the grilled chicken is usually only a small handful of veggies and maybe a small scoop of mashed potatoes. It really doesn't end up being any more food than an average person would eat at a buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can order most entrees in smaller portions just ask for appetizer size, and that typically makes up for not eating 3 complete entrees ;)

Glad to hear Carnival does this. Royal said they couldn't do that and brought me the FULL meal. Usually I just want to try the main part of the dish, which would be the meat, chicken or fish.

I would feel guilty only if it was something that I had eaten before. So I wouldn't order their flat iron steak and other entrees because I've eaten one of Carnival's flat iron steaks. The exception to this rule for me is lobster tail. I would order two of those no problem even though I have eaten it before.

This comes into play when at a port of call when the menu usually has a port of call area with regional specialties. I will order one of those and maybe an entree on the menu that I have yet to have the chance to try.

If I needed an appetizer size for my entree, would that be an issue? Or wanted a couple appetizer sizes for my entrée will I get odd looks? Sometimes, Bc of a medical issue, I just can't eat much at once.

Won't be a problem at all! There was a pasta dish I wanted to try, and I asked for an appetizer portion. The waiter said he couldn't promise it would be ready with our appetizers. Told him that was fine, and that I really wanted it with the rest of my meal.

Obviously there are some dishes that are more easily adapted to appetizer serving size. Order what you want and enjoy!

What about the specialty restaurants? It says app/salad, entrée, desert. But I have wondered if you can order say two apps. Maybe not the steak, I am normally stuffed anyway.

I haven't experienced it myself but I've heard you can ask for 2 appetizers, and depending on the waiter they will allow you. Often people have said they would substitute an app for the salad or soup... I think it all depends on your server.

Not only have I ordered a couple of appetizers and main entrees, I've ordered dishes that were not on the menu. I had to place my order the night before, but they made us a couple of Filipino dishes for the next night. It depends on the cooks and if they have the ingredients. There are a lot of Filipinos working on the ship so it was no problem.