More Diversity from the Gulf Coast

From the cruise line's standpoint, there's a balance that needs to be struck between efficiency and variety, and the current balance is clearly the balance that works best. Also keep in mind that there are upscale cruise lines who's whole business model is predicated on the fact that they offer a more unique and special experience than the entry level, mass market cruise lines. So for example, instead of our upcoming Carnival cruise, we could have taken their sister cruise line, Seabourn, and visited Jost Van Dyke, St. Barts, and Guadeloupe, or taken a longer voyage that included Puerto Limon, Colon, San Blas Is., Santa Marta, etc. While I think passengers would be happy if every cruise itinerary was different from the next, so they could pick and choose among the broadest range of choices, that's simply not consistent with the efficiency necessary to justify offering the more affordable price-point.

Who else would like to see more diversity in offerings, port combos from the Gulf Coast?For example, a 7 day eastern Carribean could replace Freeport for Half Moon Cay. Or a Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel 7 day. Thoughts?

I would love to see Carnival offer more eastern and southern Caribbean cruises from Gulf coast ports, and I mean visiting ports other then Nassau and Freeport. Even when Carnival moves ships around, the Gulf coast cruises visit the same old western Caribbean ports over and over.

Sounds like OP needs to put together a business plan, get some investors, and buy a used ship. They obviously have an idea that is not currently being met by others in the business.

Now I'm not a business major and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'm thinking that if there was a boat load of money to be made by following the OP's suggestion,, a current cruise line would already be in the market.

I see the OP's point. Charleston is the closest port to us but almost all cruises leaving there go to Nassau and/or Freeport - our 2 least favorite ports.

We live near a beach so excursions to a beach don't hold our interest.

Except for beautiful beaches, after going there a couple of times, Nassau and Freeport aren't a draw for us. Thus, even though it's nearby, we've only been out of Charleston once and that was on the Sunshine. :(

It really comes down to distance. Can a ship go from the gulf ports to the eastern Caribbean and be back in 7 days? I believe the answer is no, hence why they don't.

Yes, most definitely distance is a concern. However, my point being is they could go to Half Moon Cay and get back in time. This is really the only port they could get to in 7 days but don't. I feel like it may have to do with that port being used so frequently by cruises departing Florida.

It really comes down to distance. Can a ship go from the gulf ports to the eastern Caribbean and be back in 7 days? I believe the answer is no, hence why they don't.

There are 7 days going out of Galveston to the Bahamas all the time. Not sure why they couldn't do the same and go further southeast.

Every now and again, they could do an 8-9 day cruise; I doubt it would kill them. At least try it. After my next dream cruise, I will have done all carnival itineraries from New Orleans. NOLA has me spoiled. I prefer not to change home ports (unless it is alaska, etc-- something big and special).

Not sure what we will do after next cruise...

Years ago they used to have 10-11 day cruises from Galveston (returned to Galveston too).

Then followed up with shorter cruises...I was on an 11 nite cruise from Galveston...Splendor of the Seas.(yes Royal) but couldn't any cruise line do this?

I quess economics would be the deciding factor.

Edited by mnh
Cruise line

I would pay more to have one less port day to be able to enjoy eastern Caribbean ports of call from Gulf embarkation ports on a 7 day cruise. I'd also enjoy 8-10 day cruises to eastern and southern Caribbean ports of call from NOLA, and I would think ships could easily do that in that timeframe.

From Galveston ... Panama Canal cruises or Southern Caribbean ... 14 days

Do a search for Galveston port, day cruise

I'm not interested in cruising from Galveston due to Texas' crazy liquor laws. And 10 days is the most I can cruise due to work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The desire for something less run of the mill would naturally have to be accompanied by the willingness to do something yourself that is less run of the mill, i.e., embarking from a different port, selecting a longer cruise, paying more money, etc. The ubiquitous, more popular, and less expensive cruises are going to be the ones that appeal more broadly.

While longer cruises may hold appeal to die hard CC members, once you get above 7 days, the demographic of cruisers changes, so the demand for these longer cruises changes, and obviously the marketing types at the cruise lines have modeled this, and found that there is not enough demand to keep ships full, even with alternating long and short cruises.