Ports AFTER a major Hurricane

topspin1267

It really does depend on how much damage. We skipped Cozumel one cruise because a hurricane damaged the pier to the point cruise ships could not dock. Hopefully, the islands will have only minor damage and will be back to normal quickly.

Following. We sail on the Freedom on October 14th, so very interested to see where Irma goes and what happens. We are only 38 days out so our ports are very likely to change I'm afraid. We have sailed during hurricane season before and never been affected. But we knew the risk! It will just be a new adventure, so we're just waiting to see what happens. Our itinerary being changed is nothing compared to those people that live in the affected places. I just pray for all those people in the path now. This one is not going to be good.

It really does depend on how much damage. We skipped Cozumel one cruise because a hurricane damaged the pier to the point cruise ships could not dock. Hopefully, the islands will have only minor damage and will be back to normal quickly.

Was that following Hurricane Wilma in October 2005? We were able to get to Cozumel in March 2006 on Carnival Miracle, but had to tender into Cozumel. Other than the immediate cruise center, a lot of damage was still visible and there was a lot of reconstruction going on at the hotels. I do remember after Hurricane Dean had a direct hit on Costa Maya that it took a few years till ships were stopping there again.

Have been on ships that were among the first or was the first back on Grand Turk, Cozumel, and Belize after hurricanes. The islands all do the best that they can do with what they have. They have always been thrilled to have the ships come back in. Again, as we always say...a cruise is what you make it. Don't expect the beauty of before damage. But do give them the support of having tourist come back in. Our prayers for all involved with this massive storm.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

I was wondering too--leaving October 28. At most of the ports they have stories to tell about past hurricane damage and how soon after they were able to start taking ships again. I imagine it's to everyone's benefit to get the tourist dollars flowing back into a damaged area as soon as possible. We just have to be patient that not everything may be up and running.

These cruises are the life blood of the economy for many of these areas. They're going to put everything they have into getting back up and running as quickly as possible, even if it means opening the port when there is still a lot of adverse impact from the storm on the venues and excursions there.

If ports are not substantially damaged or closed by the local authorities, and the area has basic infrastructure, the ship will still go.

We docked last year in Freeport not long after it took a direct hit from Hurricane Matthew (in fact we were one of the very first ships allowed back). The immediate port area was fine, but our private guide showed us a lot of the destruction sustained. It was heartbreaking. Homes either badly damaged or completely destroyed. Businesses just gone, downed trees and debris everywhere. Made us feel very grateful. But the people of Grand Bahama Island could not have been more welcoming. They were so happy to have us there.

Curious about this too, we're on an Eastern itinerary early November, sounds like some of those islands are going to get hit pretty hard.

Ultimately I'll be happy to just be on a boat, and I feel worse for the people that live there :( I guess we'll see!

In my experience, and I've cruised Carnival for years, Carnival will cancel ports damaged by hurricanes as long as local authorities ask them to. And after that, Carnival will donate money and resources needed to help the port and local area recover as they again begin calling in the affected port. I've also read media stories where Carnival sends in considerable donations ahead of resuming calls in such ports to help where needed. A few years ago I was on a Carnival ship that made the first call after a hurricane went through Grand Turk, and Carnival had employees out on the shore picking up debris trying to help them recover from the storm. In those cases, passengers can also volunteer to donate their port day to clean-up efforts too.

back in 2005 we were on the Grand Princess with Grand Cayman on our iten. Hurricane Ivan hit GC several weeks before we sailed. Our mission of sailing to GC was to drop relief supplies that were much needed. A view of the island through binocs was quite the devastating site. Vegetation was stripped.

Was that following Hurricane Wilma in October 2005? We were able to get to Cozumel in March 2006 on Carnival Miracle, but had to tender into Cozumel. Other than the immediate cruise center, a lot of damage was still visible and there was a lot of reconstruction going on at the hotels. I do remember after Hurricane Dean had a direct hit on Costa Maya that it took a few years till ships were stopping there again.

That was the one. We sailed in December on the Glory and stopped at Costa Maya instead.

One thing to keep in mind is that snorkeling and scuba adventures can be affected for years to come. When Cozumel took that big hit, we have been watching the reef at Chankanaab regrow ever since. The land damage can mostly be repaired; the reefs. cannot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed to Freeport last December, after it was badly hit by Matthew in October. Mind you, Freeport didn't have much to start with! Most of the beaches cruise passengers went to were simply gone. They had very quickly developed a new one complete with food, bathrooms, etc. I was impressed. Two negatives - taxi transport was inadequate...passengers got very ugly jockeying for taxis back to the ship. Also - there were TONS of bees. Locals explained that the hives had been destroyed in the hurricane and the bees were displaced.

We sailed out of Galveston after Ike (when we booked - at the last minute- we thought it would be bayport). There saw patches of devastation, and everywhere else life went on.

We also did Coz some time after Wilma, we ended up docked in town instead of the Carnival pier and other ships had to tender.

Things work out, when there is a will there is a way - not only with cruisers but those who make their lively hood from them.

We are going through the Panama Canal from the West Coast ending in Miami. Have reservations at a beach front hotel in Ft. lauderdale for 10/8/17. Don't know what condition the hotel or beachfront will be like, but will cancel if it's a mess & fly directly home. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Forums