First time

nanaforbes

Now that it's early Sept., I'm getting more excited about my first cruise,nervous too. Not sure what to do or what I need to wear. I need to know how much money to have. I'm on a real limited budget, so I don't have a lot to spend. Do I have to get off the ship when we get to any of the ports?

The above post is correct. The poster Clarea (Bob) is very knowledgeable and you can pretty much take any of his posts as Gospel! That being said many (not all) ports have an area for shopping, some have restaurants, bars etc.. These areas are right there when you get off the ship, so no need for additional transportation. You might just want to get off the ship and get yourself a drink or snack (or not), and just find a nice spot to sit and "people watch" for an hour or so. Many of the shops in these areas have stuff that is not expensive if you want a souvenir. I hope you enjoy your cruise!:)

On my first cruise, my spending budget was about $500.00 for 7 days and I was able to stay within that fairly easily. The only things you NEED to pay for onboard are your drinks, unless you drink lemonade or iced tea which, I believe are free onboard. I am not much of a souvenir hound so I didn't spend any money there.

You do not have to get off of the ship, nor, should you decide to explore one of your port stops, you are not required to book a tour with the cruise line. You can ave a lot of money here by hooking up with some fellow cruisers and sharing an excursion withh a local tour company. There are many threads here in the forum that should be able to help you there. You may want to use your Sea Pass card as a debit card as opposed to having the ship ill your credt card at the end of the cruise. Put a fe whundred on it and that way you know how much you have. You can always check your balance on the TV in your stateroom.

Don't let money ruin your fun. there is plenty to do and enjoy eithout having to worry about blowing your budget.

You will love it.

Definitely get a guidebook from your library on your ports (reference section is where you'll find them!)...that way, you will know something about the places you'll visit, and you can do a beach day pretty cheap...or wander about the port area...if there is something there that might interest you! If you decide to stay on the ship, the pool will not be as crowded as on sea days!

You don't pay for anything during the cruise in cash....it's all charged to your cabin. You can put cash down to hold your account, or give them a credit card....and settle in cash on the last night if you like.

Included drinks are ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast. All alcohol and sodas cost extra...and they're not cheap.

Clothing is whatever you'd wear to that climate....shorts/tees, swimsuit during the day...at night, capris, sundress, slacks, etc...are fine. The ship will have a "formal" night, but you are under no obligation to dress up...it's merely a suggestion.

Nothing more relaxing to me than enjoying a relatively empty pool area with a good book and cold drink (bring an empty bottle and fill with ice and water or lemonade from the WJ) while most of the other passengers are off the ship in a port in which I have no interest. Do be sure to either budget for tips or prepay them.

We also love to spend port days on ship, pools are so nice and quiet, but many ports have lots of things in walking distance so you can window shops of buy small sovereigns for a few bucks and if you want a drink and do not have a drink package it is normally lots cheaper to drink in port that on the ship