Cancelled cruise question

Old trucker

My wife and I are scheduled to sail out of Tampa on Sunday September 11th. I did not purchase travel insurance. I know that I cannot cancel and receive any refund, however the travel agent told me that if Carnival cancels I would receive a refund. My question is, from those who have experienced such things, do you think they will cancel if at all before Sunday morning. If they do cancel and issue me a refund how long will it be before the funds are back in my account? I would appreciate any information and would find it helpful thank you

My wife and I are scheduled to sail out of Tampa on Sunday September 11th. I did not purchase travel insurance. I know that I cannot cancel and receive any refund, however the travel agent told me that if Carnival cancels I would receive a refund. My question is, from those who have experienced such things, do you think they will cancel if at all before Sunday morning. If they do cancel and issue me a refund how long will it be before the funds are back in my account? I would appreciate any information and would find it helpful thank you

I think you would reach more people with direct experience if you post on the dedicated Carnival forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

I just listened to the latest update for projectionn for course Irma may take. THEY do no know yet.... If Miami will ge it wrose, or Tamps,, or Georgia and Carolinas. Until they have a b etter idea which states will be hit worse, no one can answer you. Curently, USVI, British VI , St. Maaarten, and maybe San Juan are under fire..

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Carnival will make a decision once the weather forecasters get a better picture of exactly what Irma's path will be.

If Carnival decides to cancel your cruise, it will take a few days for them to process everyone's cancelled cruise. Remember there are quite a few people on your ship.

I know this is hard on everyone, including you, but be patient.

You have a couple options if you want to cancel now they will allow you most likely to get a credit for a future cruise. If you want to wait till they cancel it you can get a refund and they're saying it takes up to three weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have a couple options if you want to cancel now they will allow you most likely to get a credit for a future cruise. If you want to wait till they cancel it you can get a refund and they're saying it takes up to three weeks

Are you saying that Carnival will give you a refund if you cancel at the last moment even if you don't have insurance? Sure doesn't give much incentive to buy it then, does it?

You have a couple options if you want to cancel now they will allow you most likely to get a credit for a future cruise...

As of 5PM on Wednesday night Carnival posted this regarding the 9/11 sailings: "Our intention is to depart on Monday, as scheduled. We will confirm our plans on Saturday at 1:00 PM."

If the OP decides to cancel on his initiative and he will lose 100% of his fare. It's nerve wracking not to know exactly what Carnival will do about the upcoming sailing but if he wants a refund he has to wait for their decision.

I have to disagree. If the OP decides to cancel on his initiative and he will lose 100% of his fare. It's nerve wracking not to know exactly what Carnival will do about the upcoming sailing but if he wants a refund he has to wait for their decision.

Well you're incorrect you're the CEO has already posted that if there's any changes to the itinerary you will get a credit if you don't want to except the change

Well you're incorrect you're the CEO has already posted that if there's any changes to the itinerary you will get a credit if you don't want to except the change....

Just copied this from Carnival's weather alert his morning (red text my emphasis):

"At this point, we have not changed the duration of any of our cruises. However, should that occur, and you decide to cancel because your cruise duration has changed, you may do so and receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid,.."

So if the OP's cruise sails as scheduled, and lasts as long as scheduled, he's out of luck if he decides to cancel with that current notice still up. That, plus the OP is hoping for a refund and not a future cruise credit if he doesn't sail.

Just copied this from Carnival's weather alert his morning (red text my emphasis):

"At this point, we have not changed the duration of any of our cruises. However, should that occur, and you decide to cancel because your cruise duration has changed, you may do so and receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid,.."

So if the OP's cruise sails as scheduled, and lasts as long as scheduled, he's out of luck if he decides to cancel with that current notice still up.

And there is also a big difference between a future cruise credit and a cash refund since most future cruise credit's come with a bit of small print (must be booked by a certain time, must be used by a certain time, etc.).