First time Haven questions

Touyakun

Hi all, first time cruiser and turns out I will be staying in the Haven on the Breakaway. I have some newbie questions - any help is very appreciated!!

1.) How do you handle tipping (for steward, butler, concierge) - do you seek out the person on the last day? Just leave the tip in an envelope in your room? Do you need cash, or can you use your on-board account?

2.) I understand the Haven cards are "metallic". Can I still punch a hole and use a lanyard? Like are they just "metallic" colored plastic, or are they actually metal?

3.) Are the cards waterproof? I remember reading something about getting a sticker on your card with certain packages, seems like that would wash off?

4.) How crowded does the Haven on the Breakaway get (winter break, so probably full ship). Will there be enough lounge chairs for everyone?

And also a few non-Haven specific questions:

5.) My son gets really cold easily and we are sailing in February. He has a shorty wetsuit - could he wear that on the water slides? It has a zipper on the back. I know the freefall requires no metal, but I wasn't sure about the others. I could also throw a swim shirt or something over top to make it more slippery...

6.) What do you bring with you on excursions, and how do you keep it safe? I read that most people leave their passports on the ship on excursions - I'm confused about this, as I thought one of the important things of having a passport was in case you missed the boat! How do you keep your stuff (id, cash, etc) safe and dry? Waterproof lanyard case? I was thinking of the dolphin excursion, but it's just me and my son, so I don't have anyone else to hold my stuff and keep it safe.

Hi all, first time cruiser and turns out I will be staying in the Haven on the Breakaway. I have some newbie questions - any help is very appreciated!!

1.) How do you handle tipping (for steward, butler, concierge) - do you seek out the person on the last day? Just leave the tip in an envelope in your room? Do you need cash, or can you use your on-board account? We have always found them on the last morning to give them their tips. Our last cruise we couldn't find the butler so gave the money to the Concierge to pass along.

2.) I understand the Haven cards are "metallic". Can I still punch a hole and use a lanyard? Like are they just "metallic" colored plastic, or are they actually metal? They are metallic colored--you can punch a hole in it if you want. Just make sure that you don't punch through the strip on the back.

3.) Are the cards waterproof? I remember reading something about getting a sticker on your card with certain packages, seems like that would wash off? We don't have any problem--but we generally don't get our cards wet!

4.) How crowded does the Haven on the Breakaway get (winter break, so probably full ship). Will there be enough lounge chairs for everyone? Sorry, can't answer this one, but there are plenty of loungers--they will take excellent care of you!

And also a few non-Haven specific questions:

5.) My son gets really cold easily and we are sailing in February. He has a shorty wetsuit - could he wear that on the water slides? It has a zipper on the back. I know the freefall requires no metal, but I wasn't sure about the others. I could also throw a swim shirt or something over top to make it more slippery...

6.) What do you bring with you on excursions, and how do you keep it safe? I read that most people leave their passports on the ship on excursions - I'm confused about this, as I thought one of the important things of having a passport was in case you missed the boat! How do you keep your stuff (id, cash, etc) safe and dry? Waterproof lanyard case? I was thinking of the dolphin excursion, but it's just me and my son, so I don't have anyone else to hold my stuff and keep it safe.

We take cash, one credit card and one ATM card. We leave our passports on board. We also take the daily letter with the port agents contact info in case something happens--never has! We always do independent excursions and always make sure we are back at the ship (or close to it) an hour before all aboard. We do have a waterproof case for our stuff, but have never left it for long. We swam with the dolphins and just left it on the dock in Cozumel. No one has ever bothered it.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy your cruise!

1.) How do you handle tipping (for steward, butler, concierge) - do you seek out the person on the last day? Just leave the tip in an envelope in your room? Do you need cash, or can you use your on-board account?

You can do any of the above. It's up to you.

2.) I understand the Haven cards are "metallic". Can I still punch a hole and use a lanyard? Like are they just "metallic" colored plastic, or are they actually metal?

Plastic and can punch a hole just don't punch the hole in the wrong place (top).

3.) Are the cards waterproof? I remember reading something about getting a sticker on your card with certain packages, seems like that would wash off?

Waterproof. The SDP/UBP is printed on the card itself. No stickers.

4.) How crowded does the Haven on the Breakaway get (winter break, so probably full ship). Will there be enough lounge chairs for everyone?

There are enough chairs but it depends on where you want to sit. Being "front and center" is not guaranteed.

Great way to go on a first cruise!!!

While you can do either, we recommend that you use cash to ensure the recipient gets it all. Your room steward gets some of the daily service charge money, so your tip to them is above and beyond. We give it on the last day.

butler $10-$15 per person in room per day

Concierge $5-$10 per person per day

Steward $5-$10 per person per day esp if you have a big room.

Cards are plastic credit cards and can be punched. Go to guest services.

Water proof. If you pre order everything, it is printed on card and not a sticker. Even the stickers stay on.

There are usually open loungers. Maybe not on the sun deck. There are around 80 total loungers (inside and out) for the 200 people in the Hacwns.

6.) What do you bring with you on excursions, and how do you keep it safe? I read that most people leave their passports on the ship on excursions - I'm confused about this, as I thought one of the important things of having a passport was in case you missed the boat! How do you keep your stuff (id, cash, etc) safe and dry? Waterproof lanyard case? I was thinking of the dolphin excursion, but it's just me and my son, so I don't have anyone else to hold my stuff and keep it safe we never carry passports off the ship (and we cruise multiple times a year). The ship tells you to carry your room key and picture id. The answer to your other question is depends on how risk adverse you are. If we are at the beach, we don't bring anything that we would miss (e.g. Passports). If some one steels small cash, camera, phone, we would be mad, but the world would not end. .

Enjoy the Breakaway. We were in the Havens on her in June and it was wonderful

HAven is a joy on the Breakaway - we left our passports in the safe but we did make copies of them and brought those along on the excursion- there are " lockable" beach bags that you can bring along on the excursion and they can lock onto a chair . Search on Amazon - Don't try to tip before hand butler or concierge won't take it , they ask to wait till the end -there are lots of chairs in the pool area but not front and center always , there is also a second floor of lounges that is inside and then the areas outside too. Enjoy!,,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't try to tip before hand butler or concierge won't take it , they ask to wait till the end

We tip the butler a few times during the cruise, if we ask for things. Normally we give a tip when he/she deliver breakfast.

We give the concierge a tip when disembarking.

On my last cruise I did not expect to see the butler before he went off shift the last night of the cruise and we were getting off very early the next day. I just left the cash in a drawer before I left the room and called him on the phone and told him where it was and that was for him. We did happen to see him the next morning after all in another part of the ship and he stopped to thank us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

What if you don't use the concierge and book everything yourself? What else do they do for you? I have not been in the Haven yet but would like to know what they do for you.

Someone who has actually been there might be able to answer this better, but it is my understanding that they also help you with the priority embarking/disembarking and priority tendering. Assist you in getting the better/reserved Haven seats at shows. They can help you reschedule things like spa, dining, entertainment, shore excursions if you decide to make last minute changes. Probably other things too. I like to book all of my own stuff too, but I'm guessing I will still use the concierge for some things.

Your concierge will help you. Embarking & disembarking. Getting you reservations & priority seating. I love when people say they don't use them. Btw I bring thank you notes & on my last night I give my tips out to butler, steward, & concierge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for all of the information! Great to be able to get advice from people who have actually been there =) This is a great community

We are taking our first Norwegian Cruise on the Breakaway in the Haven on 10/8. I can tell you about how it was. Also, when you get your luggage tags (we just did), they have a letter that says you can pre-request things and email them. I did that yesterday & they got right back to me. I requested decaf coffee (can't have caffeine), non-feather pillows (and they emailed me back with a pillow menu!) for the fridge to be empty (as they charge you for wahtever is in there. and for a pitcher of iced water to be left each mid-day.

I'm getting excited!

You're going to love the haven because it's like a ship within a ship. It was super nice when we were out in the other decks of the ship and we could come back to the Haven and just be with in our own little bubble.

The haven for us never seem crowded at all. They have a really nice sort of soaking pool and we never had problems with chairs.

In regards to tipping and gratuities. We always always always are generous with tipping. Upon meeting our steward and our butler I always had them $50 apiece and thank them Ahead of time for taking care of us. This piece of advice was given to me by someone who cruised all the time. And I'm always very upfront when I tell them we are big-time ice connoisseurs :) we love our beverages cold with ice. We've never had anything but amazing service in the Haven.

And I'm not embarrassed to say that at the end of our cruise we are very generous with our gratuities to our steward, Butler, and concierge. There has only been one cruise that we've been on that we didn't tip our concierge a lot- and that is our latest cruise to Hawaii because frankly he didn't do anything. Our Butler did everything so he got his gratuity and what we probably would've given our concierge.

We left our passports locked in the safe and we took our passport cards with this in a waterproof lanyard around our necks.

Hope this helps.