Denali tundra wilderness tour

NitaO

http://www.reservedenali.com/

But I highly suggest that you book the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center instead ....... same road, same time period, but you go further into the park for 1/3 the cost. Plus the EVC is a lovely destination with an awesome view of the mountain if it's out, rangers, hikes, displays, running water, and flush toilets. There's also a bus dispatcher to assist if you want to take a different bus back.

The park web site is another good resource; the map clearly shows the destinations of the shuttles and tours: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

For independent visitors I never recommend the TWT at triple the cost. There seems to be some wrong assumptions for some reasons, that I don't find valid or factual. For many, Denali is all about what is outside the window. and distance is the reason to go there. Simple, the further you go the more you see. :) There is only 1 road which all buses transit. The skewed claims that shuttle buses are lacking I will continue to disagree with. Not only is it the best bargain of Alaska wildlife and scenery viewing, it offers the most freedom. Especially attractive is their 2 for 3 deal, that I've taken advantage of the last few years. There is never a "repeat" trip. Always something different. Take a look at the park web site and perhaps get more details, also consider the https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/newspaper.htm

More information than you will ever get on the TWT,

Yes, there's a drop down screen on TOURS only. It brings in wildlife sightings when the animals are far away.

The details are in the reservedenali link i posted earlier, if you want to see the differences between the TWT and Eielson shuttle:

http://www.reservedenali.com/tours-shuttles/the-denali-tour-experience/tundra-wilderness-tour/

And $130 vs $35.

I think some of my group want it narrated and something about the video screens. So do the shuttles have this or just a shuttle?

We did not take the Tundra Wilderness Tour so I can't say how the "narration" went. We did take the shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center and our driver gave us A LOT of information about the park. She stopped several times for restroom breaks and stopped for wildlife viewings so we could watch and take pictures. I can't say anything bad (other than the price) about the TNT because we didn't go on it, but I doubt very much that you will be disappointed with the shuttle to Eielson.

Yes, there's a drop down screen on TOURS only. It brings in wildlife sightings when the animals are far away.

The details are in the reservedenali link i posted earlier, if you want to see the differences between the TWT and Eielson shuttle:

http://www.reservedenali.com/tours-shuttles/the-denali-tour-experience/tundra-wilderness-tour/

And $130 vs $35.

I have some questions on differences between the two. We will be taking the Eielson Shuttle. We would be bringing our own lunch. Would we eat at the visitor center? I would hope it would not be on the bus. Also, I'm assuming we should pack a mini-cooler for sandwiches. Does the TWT even go to a visitors center or just Stoney Hill Overlook?

TWT only goes to Stoney Hill.

Yes, you can eat inside at EVC. There is limited seating inside and out. Water fountains.

I'm camping when I visit Denali so I pack a sandwich (like PB&J), apple, granola bar, bottle of water. I have a collapsible lunch bag It's not likely to be 90 on the bus so need for an ice cooler. OTOH I wouldn't take an egg or tuna salad sandwich. Nearly every hotel or restaurant sells a boxed lunch. As does the Moreno Grill inside the park.

TWT only goes to Stoney Hill.

Yes, you can eat inside at EVC. There is limited seating inside and out. Water fountains.

I'm camping when I visit Denali so I pack a sandwich (like PB&J), apple, granola bar, bottle of water. I have a collapsible lunch bag It's not likely to be 90 on the bus so need for an ice cooler. OTOH I wouldn't take an egg or tuna salad sandwich. Nearly every hotel or restaurant sells a boxed lunch. As does the Moreno Grill inside the park.

Thanks for all of the info. Our lodge (Creekside Cabins) sells box lunches. It probably makes sense to buy theirs and also pack some snacks in our small soft cooler. My fear was that everyone would eat on the bus and I'd rather not do that. We'll eat and take a break at and enjoy EVC, before heading back.

I don't know how people feel about the drop down video screens. I don't put much value on it and won't feel like I lost out by going on the NPS shuttle.

If you plan to stay on the same EVC shuttle for the return, you will have 30-45 minutes at the Center for your lunch. It kinda depends on how many stops were made along the way for wildlife. The driver HAS to take a break and tries to keep on schedule, but wildlife can get in the way ! It can take 4+ hrs to get to EVC but the return is usually much quicker because so many people fall asleep (without spotters, there aren't as many stops for wildlife) . If you decide to spend a few hrs at the Center to hike or if you decide to continue to Wonder Lake, there's a bus dispatcher who can assist with availability.

There are only a few restroom locations along the road so Tour AND Shuttle buses stop at each of them. About 90 minutes between stops. They're marked on the route map. https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

I've had bears a mile away or right next to the bus. i'm happy either way! I just appreciate seeing them in their own environment and it doesn't seem as intrusive as some of the bear viewing tours..

There's a Subway at Glitter Gulch if you want to share a sandwich.... just skip all the condiments so you don't have a soggy mess 4 hrs later.

Edited by mapleleaves
typo

You can also get sandwiches, pastries, candies, drinks and water at the Wilderness Activities Center, where the green shuttles leave from.

We just got back from a DIY Denali trip, and we chose the Wonder Lake shuttle. Our driver was super talkative and very knowledgable. We had lots of photographers on our bus, so we stopped often.

NitaO: I live in Alaska, which doesn't make me an expert, but I really question the wisdom of going to Denali and not going into the park at least as far as the Eielson Visitors Center. Going only to the Stoney overlook means that you will miss one of the most interesting (at least to me) sections of the park road. And the EVC is a great place to spend some time -- friendly rangers, interesting exhibits, bathrooms with hot and cold running water, and a water station to replenish your water bottles (the type you see in airports which have been plumbed in near traditional water fountains and the water falls directly down into the container). There are picnic tables outside and more tables inside to enjoy a lunch.

The park shuttles are narrated, and we have always found the drivers very outgoing and informative. And I suspect that some people think that the video screen will substitute for the lack of decent binoculars. They are not. Decent binoculars are still needed. If some members of your party don't have decent binoculars and refuse to purchase them once you have decided on lodging check if the hotel/ B & B rents binoculars to their guests, as I think that some do.

Since you are renting a vehicle it will be easy to get the "lay of the land" once you arrive. Entering the park road you will drive past the Wilderness Access Center (on the right); this is where you will board the park shuttle buses. There is also a grab-and-go stand selling pre-made sandwiches, bags of chips, fruit, hard-boiled eggs packaged singularly and so forth.

The Denali Visitor Center is farther along the road. The DVC has great displays and informative rangers. This campus also includes the Moreno Grill (hamburgers and so forth), and a bookstore. The Murie Science Center is a quick walk away.

We have been on the TWT and I definitely would not book that just due to the video screens. They really didn't add much in my opinion. Narration might be a reason to book at TWT, however. Although, our driver was not the best at narration, I would assume some drivers are excellent narrators.

Binoculars are a must.

The driver on our shuttle talked much of the ride & was informative & enjoyable. He said the tour drivers have a set script to follow.

We stopped at Target (near the Alaska Native Heritage Center on the way out of Anchorage) to pick up snacks, picnic supplies & water. Used that to pack lunches of cheese, crackers, fruit/nut bars, etc for snacks & lunch on the bus.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Edited by new_cruiser

I have watched some Youtube video of the NPS shuttle drivers as well as the TWT drivers. I actually enjoyed the clips of the shuttle drivers and thought the TWT guys talked too much. If a video is worth a thousand words, listen to this guy, who starts his tour at the one minute mark. I would love to ride with this guy. Eielson Shuttle Video . He provides good instruction. The video also shows a park ranger getting on at a stop (10 minute 30 second mark). as well and doing a talk. They had a great view of a bear at the 14 minute 20 second mark. I watched that video and and got comfortable with the idea of the shuttle. I might prefer the shuttle even at the same price. For my family of four to save $400 though is a great bonus.

Looking at the shuttles is it worth continuing on to the Wonder Lake or would you advise getting off at Elieson have a bit of off bus time, look around and then getting another shuttle back.

Is there much to see a Wonder Lake .?

Thanks

Looking at the shuttles is it worth continuing on to the Wonder Lake or would you advise getting off at Elieson have a bit of off bus time, look around and then getting another shuttle back.

Is there much to see a Wonder Lake .?

Thanks

We just did the Wonder Lake shuttle, and I'm glad we chose it. I had read that the farther you go into the Park, the more chance you have of seeing animals. After Eilson, we saw both a cow and bull moose, two caribou and a bear that walked beside the bus.

You only have time at Wonder Lake for about a 10-15 minute walk down to the water. It's beautiful, with lots of trees, but you don't see all that much (and if you have to take a bathroom break, you'll see even less). Still, I'm glad we went that far.

We aren't travelling until next September.

Would you need to book the shuttle to a long time in advance or is it just a turn up and ride shuttle.

Also someone mentioned discounts if you booked more than one shuttle. Does anybody know anything about that ?

Thanks

We aren't travelling until next September.

Would you need to book the shuttle to a long time in advance or is it just a turn up and ride shuttle.

Also someone mentioned discounts if you booked more than one shuttle. Does anybody know anything about that ?

Thanks

The park service holds back about 30% of the seats and they become available 2 days prior. I dont recall the EXACT details, but thats very close. One person can always find an available seat, 2 people usually can.

But if you're timeframe is limited and you're only there for a day or 2, what's the benefit of waiting. Im not saying you need to book in Dec when the reservations open, but i wouldnt wait until may.

Also, for Sept travel, keep in mind that the tours and shuttles end mid month.

The discount is the 3 for 2. Deatails on the park web site.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm