Latest Info on Ports and Itinerary Changes for Upcoming Sept-Oct-Nov Cruises

garycarla

For those wanting to know what changes are taking place, here is the best answer around.

NOBODY KNOWS.

Really folks.

* The vast majority of the cruise line staff are just a bit busy right now trying to deal with ships that have nowhere to go and tens of thousands of passengers.

* They are shutting down many of the cruise line offices.

* Staff are trying to secure their homes or getting their families out of harms way.

* People on those Islands are trying to find a place to live.

* Authorities are attempting to evaluate the damage and what needs to be done.

* The storm has not even hit Florida yet, so no idea what damage will occur at the cruise port in Miami. Or cruise line offices. Or staff. Or....

To expect any answers right now is ________. (you full in the blank)

Nobody knows. Nobody. Even if everyone was at work, they still do not know what they are dealing with yet. If anyone thinks they should be posting updates beyond the current week is just not thinking.

Meanwhile, I hope everyone's plans work out well. Be safe out there.

Very misleading post title.

Also, I've seen what you've been saying the last couple of days and honestly, concern about a long planned vacation does not equal a lack of concern for those in the storm's path that are suffering life changing losses. I have both. But I do come here to see if anyone has insight or info on the cruise part of it because, it's cruise critic, and I have an upcoming cruise i need to manage one way or the other.

Agreed about the misleading (and click-baity) thread title. People are right to be concerned and anxious about their vacation plans (especially when they involve flying into an area that was just devastated by a hurricane). This doesn't make them callous or unmoved by the plight of those who live in the affected areas. The sermonizing and virtue signaling is unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Monitor the web site. They are now operating at reduced capacity from an alternate site so don't call if you don't have to know what to do right away. Decisions are made day by day looking out one more day. If there is no info on cruises departing it means they haven't decided. Many decisions are made after you board! They aren't obligated to announce itinerary changes before sailing.

Agreed about the misleading (and click-baity) thread title...

Yes, I would agree. I was actually going to put a "click bait" disclaimer in the post.

And yes, folks have every right to be concerned. I get that. I would be.

But, people are starting new posts left and right and many are expecting some answers. They do not exist. Concern or not, there are no answer.

Sorry... maybe I had too much room on my soap box this morning.

Okay...one more.. anyone that is calling NCL right now asking similar questions should be forced to walk the plank. They are swamped (pun not intended, but approriate). Let the few people still working do their job.

I agree, please do not call NCL UNLESS you have an immediate need. NCL has been doing a great job of posting charges on their web site "Hurricane Alert". If you do not want to deal with itinerary changes then cancel now and rebook when things have settled down. For those that don't want to lose out on vacation time, why not volunteer to help those in need in your community. It could change your life and open your heart ❤️ in ways you never knew could happen. We live in South Texas and it amazes me how strangers have come together and helped us be Texas Strong. Praying for Floridians.

I can walk and chew gum at the same time...I can worry about my hard earned vacation money spent AND still be concerned about the storm, the islands and the people in it's path.

To imply that I'm uncaring or callous because I or anyone is asking about their upcoming cruise (ours in 3 weeks) is insulting.

Edited by mftinvermont

Very misleading post title. Also, I've seen what you've been saying the last couple of days and honestly, concern about a long planned vacation does not equal a lack of concern for those in the storm's path that are suffering life changing losses. I have both. But I do come here to see if anyone has insight or info on the cruise part of it because, it's cruise critic, and I have an upcoming cruise i need to manage one way or the other.
YES!! This is exactly how I feel about this topic! You can have concern for the islands AND your own cruise at the same time, and like you said this is cruise critic, where we walk about cruises!!

I can walk and chew gum at the same time...I can worry about my hard earned vacation money spent AND still be concerned about the storm, the islands and the people in it's path.

To imply that I'm uncaring or callous because I or anyone is asking about their upcoming cruise (ours in 3 weeks) is insulting.

The original post was not directed to folks that walk, chew gum and worry about their vacation while still concerned about the storm. So, nothing was implied about you.

It was directed to people that expect an answer now about the status of their cruise. Of course those folks are concerned, but there are no answers at this time.

Not every post or comment applies to everyone.

Apologies to those that were offended (unless you were one of those calling NCL or TA looking for answers today).

Agreed about the misleading (and click-baity) thread title. People are right to be concerned and anxious about their vacation plans (especially when they involve flying into an area that was just devastated by a hurricane). This doesn't make them callous or unmoved by the plight of those who live in the affected areas. The sermonizing and virtue signaling is unnecessary.

Could not have said it better. Some of the commentary (mostly from the frequent posters) is ridiculous.

Here is the terrifying info from the Windtravler Tortola based blogger whose family owns Aristocrat Charters:

Folks: the situation in Tortola, if you can believe it, is becoming even more dire. Fear and panic are setting in and friends on the ground are scared. Looting has begun. I have reached out to the Chicago Tribuneto tell the story ( Windtraver is from Chicago) as BVI is getting little to no coverage. It is very unsafe on Tortola and hundreds and hundreds of people need evacuation. Another storm is coming and almost everyone is homeless and without adequate shelter. Rumor has it St. Maarten is a war zone....Tortola will follow suit if WE DO NOT GET EVACUATION SERVICES AND A MILITARY PRESENCE IMMEDIATELY!!!! Anyone in this network who can help I appreciate it. Scott has landed in PR and I have warned them not to go to Road Town for fear of ambush. So few working boats and cars people likely to storm them...We do not need more people going IN, we need to get people OUT.

For those who really want the latest; here it is.

Weather Updates 2017

Hurricane Irma

September 7th at 11:00 PM (3:00 AM UTC)

Norwegian Cruise Line is continuing to closely watch the forecasted path of major Hurricane Irma. Further to our update from this afternoon, Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Sky have both safely departed from PortMiami. Norwegian Escape is sailing at full capacity with approximately 4,000 displaced guests from both ships that were unable to secure flights back home.

All cancelled sailings are as follows:

• Norwegian Sky, September 8 from Miami
  • Norwegian Escape, September 9 from Miami
  • Norwegian Sky, September 11 from Miami

Guests whom were unable to cruise aboard one of our cancelled sailings will be provided with a full refund, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

As the safety and security of our team members is our top priority, the company's Miami headquarters closed at 2 PM on Thursday, September 7, 2017 and re-open as soon as it is safe and practical. To help ensure that we continue to operate with all the necessary shoreside support, key staff members are being relocated out of Miami and the storm zone. Our call centers will be operating remotely, so please be advised that hold times in our call center may be longer than normal. Our website will remain available 24/7. Travel Agents should use our dedicated booking portal on NCLU and guests can view their booking information on the My NCL portal. As soon as this major weather event is clear of the region and we can bring our staff back to Miami, we will re-open the offices. Additional updates will be posted at NCL.com.

For those wanting to know what changes are taking place, here is the best answer around.

NOBODY KNOWS.

Really folks.

* The vast majority of the cruise line staff are just a bit busy right now trying to deal with ships that have nowhere to go and tens of thousands of passengers.

* They are shutting down many of the cruise line offices.

* Staff are trying to secure their homes or getting their families out of harms way.

* People on those Islands are trying to find a place to live.

* Authorities are attempting to evaluate the damage and what needs to be done.

* The storm has not even hit Florida yet, so no idea what damage will occur at the cruise port in Miami. Or cruise line offices. Or staff. Or....

To expect any answers right now is ________. (you full in the blank)

Nobody knows. Nobody. Even if everyone was at work, they still do not know what they are dealing with yet. If anyone thinks they should be posting updates beyond the current week is just not thinking.

Meanwhile, I hope everyone's plans work out well. Be safe out there.

People have every right to be concerned about the fate of an upcoming cruise. People have every right to call NCL if the need arises and ask those questions solely for the peace of mind. Who are you to say "don't call" because NCL is busy? People have invested thousands forupcoming cruises and many have to juggle hotel reservations, flight itineraries, etc. and turn to these forums for news, advice and perhaps comfort. My family and I are suffering this very predicament. We have a cruise scheduled to embark on the 16th with a one night pre-cruise stay at a local hotel. Because you say so, we should not be concerned? Get off your high horse already. And to say that my worries imply that I have no compassion for the people in the area is beyond absurd.

Already having said to get off your high horse, you can now_________ (fill in the blank)

People have every right to be concerned about the fate of an upcoming cruise. People have every right to call NCL if the need arises and ask those questions solely for the peace of mind. Who are you to say "don't call" because NCL is busy? People have invested thousands forupcoming cruises and many have to juggle hotel reservations, flight itineraries, etc. and turn to these forums for news, advice and perhaps comfort. My family and I are suffering this very predicament. We have a cruise scheduled to embark on the 16th with a one night pre-cruise stay at a local hotel. Because you say so, we should not be concerned? Get off your high horse already. And to say that my worries imply that I have no compassion for the people in the area is beyond absurd.

Already having said to get off your high horse, you can now_________ (fill in the blank)

Well said.

Yes, people should be concerned. Nobody said they should not.

It is very difficult sitting at home wondering what is going to happen.

Yes, people want to know what to do.

This storm could shut down Miami port and they might have to cancel cruises like yours.

If anyone actually believes calling the cruise line today for answers will actually get answers, then by all means call. My opinion is they do not have any answers and will not have any until at least Sunday when they find out if they even have a port to board the ship from. And, every call that like that will only delay the things they are dealing with right now that they can do someting about it.

Your concerns are very valid. No doubt about it. I am truly sorry for those that are currently experienceing these issues and are unable to get answers.

Edited by garycarla

Did the OP really just pull a clickbait on us?

Yes, yes he did and deservedly so. Too many posts asking questions no one, not even my Irish "seer" Grandmother, could answer. We all need to be concerned but no one has answers to questions of the future.

I wish everyone a safe journey, please stay well advised of the progress the storms are taking. Good luck to all, stay safe.

Drink package + ship... I'm on vacation. Just get me away from the storm!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I'm with you, and I don't even drink. I am sailing on Breakaway in three weeks. At this point, I am not sure we will make Nassau or Great Stirrup Cay. My travel companions and I have the exact same opinion; if we have to float around in the ocean for 7 days, who cares? Breakaway is a beautiful ship with plenty to do and that would still easily beat sitting in an office at home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I think the title is appropriate. If you want to know the status of a future vacation somewhere in Florida or the Caribbean right now, the answer is: No one knows and No one can answer your questions. So asking status questions seems illogical to me.

We have a family vacation to Disney middle of next week. I would love to know if this will happen or what status WDW will be in on Sept. 14. Will the Epcot Wine Festival still be going on. Or will Epcot even exist? But right now, the only truthful answer is: No one knows. I may not like that answer but it is the only honest answer today.

Wait a couple days for your status questions. Let the storm move through and let essential services get restored. To think that an island with no power, water or internet will be able to answer a status question about your Fall cruise is not logical. Monitor reliable sources and pray for all of those involved. Then next week, ask all of the status questions you want. Good luck to all in the path of Irma.

I read where 9/10 is the peak day for hurricanes. To plan a cruise from Miami seems too big a risk to me and not worth the agony . The petty inconveniences and complaints from cruisers is sad. Just be glad for where you live and pray for south Florida

I read where 9/10 is the peak day for hurricanes. To plan a cruise from Miami seems too big a risk to me and not worth the agony . The petty inconveniences and complaints from cruisers is sad. Just be glad for where you live and pray for south Florida

I can walk and chew gum at the same time.....I can worry about my hard earned vacation and still give best wishes and hopes to the people in the path of this dangerous storm.

To think people asking questions about their vacation is heartless or callous is insulting.