Changing your voicemail before a cruise?

slyone14

Just curious to see if im the only one who does this. I never answer my phone while on a 7 day cruise nor do I have a desire to text everyone I know before I go. So I change my voice mail the day of the cruise to advise im away from phone and will be unable to return any calls till such and such date. Anyone else do this?

You've just let everyone know that you will be away from home, opening yourself up to a home burglary. Same with your social media posts from vacation.

I do not post it on fb, heck I rarely go on fb these days. I don't know, I just think being gone 7 days, what if someone calls me and I don't call them for 7 days and they are worried or something, lol

You must have not been on a ship in the last few years or so.

If you have, you would notice that 70% of the passengers spend the majority of the time staring at their phones.

It is like they are not even away.

So why change a voicemail??

I do not post it on fb, heck I rarely go on fb these days. I don't know, I just think being gone 7 days, what if someone calls me and I don't call them for 7 days and they are worried or something, lol

It's really a tradeoff. If you change your message, you're advertising the fact that you are away from home to anyone that calls. If you don't change the message, some that call you might wonder why you haven't called back. I think I'd rather the latter.

With both our home and mobile phones we have plans that send us an email with the message, attached as a sound file, if any are left for us on either systems. Since we always have internet onboard we can reply to important messages with either an email, usually or a VOIP call if it's really necessary.

Also we advise family and close friends and neighbours of our travel plans so they know we are away. ;)

Doing so doesn't advertise to anyone that calls that we are away from home for a certain time period.

Edited by robtulipe

Some carriers have wifi calling. I am with T-Mobile and they have it. So on the ship with a wifi package, I can call. I also have 20 cent per minute calls (and unlimited data and texting) in many countries. So in port I can call.

And my voice mails get transcribed into text on my phone, so I can read them. Not perfect, but I can get an idea of if I need to respond.

And the people that matter, my family, close friends, boss, all know that I am gone and will be mainly out of touch.

I would NOT advertise that I was away.

I don't change my voicemail at all to say we are away I don't want to broadcast it and open myself to a would be thief. I also don't post pics on any social media until I am home. I DO check messages while in ports and return calls if necessary.

I don't change my voicemail at all to say we are away I don't want to broadcast it and open myself to a would be thief. I also don't post pics on any social media until I am home. I DO check messages while in ports and return calls if necessary.

We do the same with the voice mail and photos on Facebook. The important people know where I'm at and how long I'll be gone.

I post on fb. Everyone who knows me knows I on a cruise. I have my fb locked up pretty solid to non friends. Plus nothing in my house worth stealing. No money no jewelry etc. No power tools. I have family stay here sometimes too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No for many reasons. Like most people said, first, anyone who's gonna contact me knows where I am, second, it's unwise to alert people your home is unoccupied for many days, and most importantly if someone calls me and I don't call them back for 7 days then that's just what it is. They get called back in 7 days. I feel absolutely no obligation to manage others feelings. If they're worried that's not on me. It's not wrong to go on vacation without informing others. I'm an adult. I can do whatever and go wherever I want.

I tell my immediate family that I'll be gone. Then when we get on the ship phones go in the safe. We do take them out to ports with wifi so we can check in send an email usually to my son who watches the house and pets while we're gone and my mom who worries until we return. Then back in the safe.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Um, no. We don't change our VM message. As for social media, I have limited my FB access so I have no problem posting there when we're on vacay, but putting it on VM is a big no. We get way too many spam calls as do most people.

Nope...I don't change messages, or feel obligated to. A mere 12 years ago, few folks were so attached to their phones. If someone called, and you didn't answer, they might leave a message..and you would call back when you felt like it. A call to you is NOT an obligation to return that call, unless you want to.

I can guarantee, with utmost certainty, that life will go on without answering texts or calls, or checking FB! Honestly...that stuff is "fluff" and doesn't affect you at all.