How long before Royal updates Eastern cruises?

volk904

Anthem doesn't tender at CoCo Cay.....

Currently, ships have to tender to CocoCay which keeps the largest cruise ships in Royal Caribbean’s fleet from visiting the island. A pier would not only allow any of cruise line’s ships to visit, but would also make for less missed stops due to weather. The development timeline for the pier is expected to take 12 months. Royal Caribbean told SeaTrade Cruise News that the development of CocoCay is a priority for the cruise line.

Of course it is a priority. One more stop where RCI has a captive audience and every dime spent goes right to its bank account.

Of course it is a priority. One more stop where RCI has a captive audience and every dime spent goes right to its bank account.

True but love that I don't have to spend a dime on it. Beach, chairs, BBQ are included. If you have the drink package, it's good on island also. Hardly any of the cabanas we used. With the few hours to be on Cococay, never understand why anyone would pay for a cabanas. Would have to half the price before I would think of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

With the few hours to be on Cococay, never understand why anyone would pay for a cabanas. Would have to half the price before I would think of it.

Private swimming area, chairs as well as loungers, private beach, private buffet with better food. 4 or so liters of water in an ice chest.

And you can split it with another couple, making it half price. :D

We're not usually ones to dump a lot of cash into the ports we visit. However, I think if we still visit St. Maarten in Nov. we'll change our ways at least this time around. They will need all the money they can get.

Hopefully you will stop there. That is very kind of you to want to spend extra money in St. Maarten. Hopefully more people feel the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Private swimming area, chairs as well as loungers, private beach, private buffet with better food. 4 or so liters of water in an ice chest.

And you can split it with another couple, making it half price. :D

True. Only saw 2 being used that day. But was early December, water was on the cool side. But as most from the northeast, didn't keep many from going in. Had it been warmer, more sunny. They might of had more booked. To me the beach were they were, was not as nice as the Free Beach,lol. Don't think a few bottles of water would be worthwhile. The included BBQ was very nice. So not sure how much better the lunch would of been. Last CCL cruise to Nassau they took us to their new private beach area. Nowhere as nice and lunch was cold burgers or barely warm hot dogs, cheap fruit drinks. Plus the boat ride back was horrible. So choppy almost took on water. Loved Cococay.

With St. Martin, St Thomas badly damaged and I assume St Kitts Also badly damaged I wonder when RCCL will change the Eastern cruises for this fall?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And still to await Jose in the coming days, St Kitts fine at the present time......

All so sad, a beautiful part of the world, but 'life changing' for so many locals who had so little before the storm.

St Marteen is destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assure you that the island is still there. Now there is no doubt that the man made structures and many people's lives are destroyed. That is sad. I really enjoy both sides of the lovely island.

JC

I've heard rumors that NCL was shifting all Eastern routes to Western through October but haven't been able to find an actual news source.

Actually, this press release specifically says Escape Eastrn itineraries are being shifted to Western: https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/hurricane-irma-update

I imagine others will soon follow suit.

I've heard rumors that NCL was shifting all Eastern routes to Western through October but haven't been able to find an actual news source.

Actually, this press release specifically says Escape Eastrn itineraries are being shifted to Western: https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/hurricane-irma-update

I imagine others will soon follow suit.

Won't that be lovely with 15 cruise ships in those ports. :eek:

JC

Come December once all the ships in the Med have repositioned to the Caribbean St Martin was scheduled to host up to 7 ships / day. Haven't heard about damage to St Thomas, but they are scheduled for up to 5 / day. Not enough space at small ports like St Kitts or even larger ones like Nassau and San Juan to make up for losing these two. Cruise lines will have to compete for port space. Have dealt with lots of nice folks in St Martin. Hope they recover soon.

St Marteen is destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly right. We have done a number of land trips to SXM and were just there for 3 weeks in May. Out of the 3 properties we stayed at 1 has said no reservations probably until mid next yr, another is somewhat ok, and haven't been able to get much info at all on the 3rd. The damage is huge and widespread. Our friends living on the island have only been able to sporadically contact anyone.

If you genuinely wish to see how SXM is doing try traveltalk dot com on the st marten bd. There is imho a zero chance of any cruise ships getting back there for months. It'll be that long for some to even have basic necessities restored.

Looks like it will take at least 6 to 8 months before any ship can dock.

I thought I read on another thread that there is a ship docked there now for humanitarian relief.

Are you saying that the piers are damaged or are you just guestimating when you think the island will be ready for cruise ships to return?

I thought I read on another thread that there is a ship docked there now for humanitarian relief.

Are you saying that the piers are damaged or are you just guestimating when you think the island will be ready for cruise ships to return?

Should of posted that it's going to take time before 4k+ of passengers can visit, shop, eat, or enjoy all they had to offer before the storm. Just docking is the 1st part of rebuilding.

Should of posted that it's going to take time before 4k+ of passengers can visit, shop, eat, or enjoy all they had to offer before the storm. Just docking is the 1st part of rebuilding.

Gotcha, I agree.:)

I am not sure of a timeline but this isn't going to be a quick return to normal. Bringing the ships back is important for the economy of the island, but too soon will not be beneficial.

Gotcha, I agree.:)

I am not sure of a timeline but this isn't going to be a quick return to normal. Bringing the ships back is important for the economy of the island, but too soon will not be beneficial.

True. It's a balancing act. Too soon and they lose the good will. Im sure the cruislines will work with them to get up as quick as possible. Just look at the situation in Freeport. 15 months after the storm, still lot's of complaints from cruisers not happy.

Looks like it will take at least 6 to 8 months before any ship can dock.

According to the cruise director on the Adventure, they just spent 7 hours picking up people from St. Martin.

I just watched an 8 minute drone video. Yes, there is widespread damage but there were plenty of cars driving on clear roads. Although, during one portion the video was taken from a car that appeared to detour across a golf course in a makeshift road.

The photos that I have seen from the Dutch side and especially the photos of Orient Beach damage were heartbreaking.

Hopefully, the cruise lines and the Dutch and French navies will deliver plenty of supplies to help rehabilitate the island.

According to the cruise director on the Adventure, they just spent 7 hours picking up people from St. Martin.

I just watched an 8 minute drone video. Yes, there is widespread damage but there were plenty of cars driving on clear roads. Although, during one portion the video was taken from a car that appeared to detour across a golf course in a makeshift road.

The photos that I have seen from the Dutch side and especially the photos of Orient Beach damage were heartbreaking.

Hopefully, the cruise lines and the Dutch and French navies will deliver plenty of supplies to help rehabilitate the island.

People are resilient, and they are capable. Expecting that because a store is blown down that the people won't figure out a way to make it work is just people living comfortable first world lives not understanding how people overcome obstacles. I don't know, but I bet that within a month the people of St Maarten figure it out. I know many of those folks and they are strong and determined.

JC