Do cruise ships ever get "overbooked"?

Artemis908

Have there ever been any cases where someone has showed up to the pier, cruise fully paid for, but maybe with a guaranteed room, so no room assignment, and then told "whoops! We overbooked the cruise ship! There's no cabin available to you"?

Very very rarely, but it has been reported.

The ship has a term called "sailing over capacity" ... but it isn't really what you're talking about. Here's what I know about it:

Once we sailed over Thanksgiving, and we very much disliked our table assignment -- we were assigned to a separate, small room instead of the main dining room; this was years ago when traditional dining was the only game in town. We were not happy with being assigned "to the kids' table room", and we asked for a change. We were told that the ship was sailing at "over capacity" and no change was possible. I asked what "over capacity" meant, and they said that when the ship sails with 2 people in each and every cabin, they are "at capacity" ... and on holidays when the ship sails with 3rd /4th passengers (probably mostly kids), the ship is considered "over capacity", and these inferior secondary dining rooms are opened.

That cruise was noticeably more crowded than other cruises (before or after), and it's why we will never again sail a holiday. Well, that plus the price was higher because of the holiday.

So, not really what you were asking; rather, it's a related topic.

Have there ever been any cases where someone has showed up to the pier, cruise fully paid for, but maybe with a guaranteed room, so no room assignment, and then told "whoops! We overbooked the cruise ship! There's no cabin available to you"?

I friend of mine had a booking for connecting inside cabins this summer in the Med. Think it was 2 weeks b4 they were due to leave they had a phone call asking if RC could move them to a family cabin as the ship was overbooked. They gave them a 50% cash refund £3000 plus $500 obc needless to say they snapped their hand off.

I friend of mine had a booking for connecting inside cabins this summer in the Med. Think it was 2 weeks b4 they were due to leave they had a phone call asking if RC could move them to a family cabin as the ship was overbooked. They gave them a 50% cash refund £3000 plus $500 obc needless to say they snapped their hand off.

We also received a similar call for our cruise on Allure last January. We had 2 BW balconies with 2 people in each. They asked if we would move to another BW cabin that slept 4. Both cabins were fully refunded except for taxes and fees and we were able to keep the $450 OBC from each cabin.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

A few years ago the first Norwegian Gem N/E Canada cruise was overbooked, and I was sent an email 5 weeks before the cruise telling me they would refund every think I had paid in plus give me a credit of $1,050 for a future cruise, to be taken within a year. I accepted and so did at least 5 others I knew of. So we waited to do said itinerary until last week on the Anthem. We already had a deposit on a Panama Canal cruise and the credit we used on it made the port fees and taxes more than our cruise fare. We never book gty cabins, the lower price not worth the uncertainty involved.

On a Princess cruise, about 5 days before the sailing, we received a call with a "rollover" offer. They moved us to another sailing of our choice with a one category upgrade and a full refund of our cruisefare as refundable OBC on the new sailing (for 3 balcony cabins, it was almost $8000 in OBC). So, we booked the exact same itinerary for the same week the following year, and essentially received an upgraded cruise (3 minisuites) for free. (Interestingly, for the second sailing, they also called and asked if we wanted to combine two of our three cabins into a family suite, but we declined that offer because it was too far away from the third cabin and we wanted to be near eachother).

We were local to the embarkation port, so no flying involved. This was 8 years ago.

The ship has a term called "sailing over capacity" ... but it isn't really what you're talking about. Here's what I know about it:

So, not really what you were asking; rather, it's a related topic.

RCCL reports in their SEC filings that they sail at 105% + capacity on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's a thread from a couple who got called on their way to the port that they were overbooked and did not have a cabin for them. They did eventually get to sail, but it does happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could you please post the link to that thread so it can help future cruisers.

I always make sure that I have a room assignment prior to the cruise. In fact from now on I will pay a bit more to have my room assigned at the time of booking.

On a Princess cruise, about 5 days before the sailing, we received a call with a "rollover" offer. They moved us to another sailing of our choice with a one category upgrade and a full refund of our cruisefare as refundable OBC on the new sailing (for 3 balcony cabins, it was almost $8000 in OBC). So, we booked the exact same itinerary for the same week the following year, and essentially received an upgraded cruise (3 minisuites) for free. (Interestingly, for the second sailing, they also called and asked if we wanted to combine two of our three cabins into a family suite, but we declined that offer because it was too far away from the third cabin and we wanted to be near eachother).

We were local to the embarkation port, so no flying involved. This was 8 years ago.

I would also be sure that the cruiseline took care of changing my airline ticket and paying all differences even if I booked it on my own.

Man for $8,000 OBC I would purchase the Ultimate Drink Package, Specailty Restaurnts every night and then out of my own pocket Upgrade those mini suties to the best suites I could get. Then witth the refundable OBC leftover purchase a Next Cruise onboard with the leftover money and pay the difference for another suite.

I always make sure that I have a room assignment prior to the cruise. In fact from now on I will pay a bit more to have my room assigned at the time of booking.

Link is in post # 4 if it doesn't open for you search in Royal Caribbean for a thread called "Cruise Oversold" started by Rick-n-Lisa

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2480927

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It has been several years ago...but we did have one sailing where the "computer" had double booked a large number of cabins. These were not "guarantees"... they were specific cabins. They discovered it about 36 hours before sailing. There were still a few cabins open so they were able to move a few people but others were told not to go to,port. They did call people and "ask" for "volunteers" to reschedule. I don't remember what they "offered" as far as compensation.

Not sure how much it's really going to help future cruisers. As Bob mentioned in post #2 it's extremely rare that this happens in fact that one thread that was mentioned was the only one that I can remember happening out of many millions of sailings. As posted by several people including myself Royal goes above and beyond by offering free sailings and or huge OBC's to existing guests with multiple cabins in order to accommodate everyone in these extremely rare circumstances.

There is no way that I would let a few isolated instances influence my decision to potentially save a substancial amount of money by booking a guarantee.

There is no way that I would let a few isolated instances influence my decision to potentially save a substancial amount of money by booking a guarantee.

Plus, there will others who will take the compensation package before you really have to get bumped.

I would also be sure that the cruiseline took care of changing my airline ticket and paying all differences even if I booked it on my own.

Man for $8,000 OBC I would purchase the Ultimate Drink Package, Specailty Restaurnts every night and then out of my own pocket Upgrade those mini suties to the best suites I could get. Then witth the refundable OBC leftover purchase a Next Cruise onboard with the leftover money and pay the difference for another suite.

This was in 2009/10. Outside of gratuities, we didn't spend the OBC, so we got most of it refunded, and were able to take 2 more cruises (with RCI)

So I am wondering then when the proper time is to call Royal up and ask about room assignments... like is it safe to leave my home without knowing we have a room.

If you call and ask they will just quote you from the website that rooms can be assigned any time up until the point of sailing. You won't get any information from them.

Hi there,

Cruise ships do overbook sometimes. Passengers are usually notified in advance, but there are always exceptions. We have an article on times when you could be bumped from your sailing, and there's a whole section on overbooking: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340. (Note: The piece is in need of an update, but generally the info is pretty evergreen.) Hope it's helpful!

Never had it with Royal but I did get this unbelievable offer this summer from Princess to move off a cruise

MPORTANT NOTICES

**ROYAL PRINCESS SPECIAL FREE CRUISE OFFER**

Princess is extending a special offer to guests booked on the 15 July 2017 Royal Princess sailing. Move off this voyage for three free cruises up to 14 nights anywhere in the world!

Offer:

* 100% Cruise Fare refund (as refundable onboard credit)! * Three Free Cruises up to 14 total Nights! * Air/Hotel change fees up to 800 GBP!

This offer is only available by calling 0843 374 0014 Please act quickly as this offer will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. *Travel agencies will receive a 700 GBP bonus commission per cabin if offer is accepted with the original commission protected.

Such a shame we couldn't take the deal

Not really overbooking, but a few years ago we sailed from San Diego on a Panama canal cruise. The last stop on the previous cruise was Cabo (Tender Port) . Because of a broken cable they had to leave a lifeboat in Cabo. They held 150 local passengers in the terminal as the Coast Guard inspected the ship and certified that there was enough lifeboat capacity. The Coast Guard signed off and we sailed with everyone, so things can happen but thankfully not often. We were told in this case it would be local people who did not fly to the port that would be offered to change to another cruise, compensation etc