Today's (9/11) NCL Update - Eastern Caribbean and What About Other Ships?

txagfan

The post below was made on Facebook and their website today.

September 11th 10:00 AM ET (2:00 PM UTC)

Due to the devastating impact in the Caribbean from Hurricane Irma, all of Norwegian Escape’s upcoming Eastern Caribbean sailings until November will be altered to a Western Caribbean itinerary. All guests scheduled to sail on any affected cruises will be notified of the change.

I'm curious about cruise and I understand as a Houstonian who just went through Harvey I know that there is a lot going on, but if they are going to put out any info why not be clearer:

1) Why only address Escape, it's just one of quite a few boats? There are other ships going to E Caribbean, including Epic, during this timeframe.

2) Does anyone have any insight on "until November" and what that means? Through November or until November?

Somewhat annoyed. Hysterically the Facebook post has several cruisers currently on Escape posting they don't even know this information lol...

. . .

1) Why only address Escape, it's just one of quite a few boats? There are other ships going to E Caribbean, including Epic, during this timeframe.

2) Does anyone have any insight on "until November" and what that means? Through November or until November?

Somewhat annoyed. Hysterically the Facebook post has several cruisers currently on Escape posting they don't even know this information lol...

At this time Escape is the only NCL ship scheduled to visit the Eastern Caribbean. Epic has one cruise scheduled on November 18th that goes that direction.

I suspect, thought I have no knowledge that sometime prior to mid November NCL will announce that all Eastern cruises scheduled before June 1, 2018 will operate as Western itineraries. Tortola and St. Thomas are simply devastated and it is going to take at least 6 - 7 months before they can even think about hosting visitors.

They have to get the infrastructure of the isladn back up and running, including power, phones, water, sewage, housing and food supplies. Those things are going to take precedence over getting ready for cruise visitors.

I hope that I am wrong on the time line but things don't move fast in the Caribbean and everything has to be shipped in.

No rationale for annoyance nor hysteria. That is just cruel and mean spirited in a time of crisis. changes to 10's of thousands of reservations don't happen overnight (esp with HQ closed) and people will be notified once the changes are made. Usually in the order of sailing. The Escape is immediately affected. Other ships will have their passengers notified when/if they change.

Due to the devastating impact in the Caribbean from Hurricane Irma, all of Norwegian Escape’s upcoming Eastern Caribbean sailings until November will be altered to a Western Caribbean itinerary. All guests scheduled to sail on any affected cruises will be notified of the change.

I'm curious about cruise and I understand as a Houstonian who just went through Harvey I know that there is a lot going on, but if they are going to put out any info why not be clearer:

Epic is currently in Europe doing Mediterranean itineraries. It won't be back till mid November when by then they will have a better idea of what can be done as far as Eastern Caribbean itineraries. The Getaway is also in Europe not sure when she is scheduled to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As well as Jade but only in December so I suspect they inform about Jade much later (San Juan, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St Lucia, St Maarten).

I am however fully expecting not to go to St Maarten at least. St Thomas not sure. I would expect this to remain eastern as they have quite a few ports. Perhaps just another sea day or substitute with other port(s) for St Maarten (and St Thomas).

No rationale for annoyance nor hysteria. That is just cruel and mean spirited in a time of crisis. changes to 10's of thousands of reservations don't happen overnight (esp with HQ closed) and people will be notified once the changes are made. Usually in the order of sailing. The Escape is immediately affected. Other ships will have their passengers notified when/if they change.

It is funny that people following NCL on Facebook know more than people on the ship, if you can't see the humor in that you need to lighten up. These are not people in any sort of danger, they're in Cozumel.

I can be annoyed if I want...I didn't expect to hear anything for a while, but to get an incomplete message and feel like your ship/itinerary may get short stick given it is a one-off is a little annoying.

Don't fall off your high horse.

We're on the Getaway bringing her back to this side of pond from Denmark next month and the itinerary includes St. Maarten and St. Thomas (Oct 24 & 25). I already knew a few days ago we are unlikely to stop at these two ports, but I am not doing anything to get anyone to tell us. The NCL Miami offices are closed until Wednesday and my PCC is away somewhere.

Now I wait - patiently - until NCL send us notification of itinerary change.

My heart goes to the people down there - St. M, USVI, BVI, Barbuda, San Juan, Cuba, Key West, etc. They are in for a long recovery and restoration period.

Who is annoyed again ? :rolleyes: what is in it for you - do you have a sailing coming up very soon ??

There are "evacuees" spending tonight in public shelters, homeless, sleep on a hard floor, military cots and air mattresses, unable to go home - without electricity and the "luxury" of air conditioning and clean drinking water, means to cook a hot meal or take a warm shower, many with special needs and others with medical issues ... and I can go on and on.

We have our NCL cruises coming up pretty soon and 2 staterooms fully paid for - and, I am not one bit annoyed and more than satisfied with NCL's management & operational performance.

What have "you" done or contributed to the relief efforts thus far ? Now, please get back to the horse.

The post below was made on Facebook...

They posted what they thought was relevant today. They do not know the answers to lots of thing. Their offices are closed. Their staff is not living at home. Escape is the only ship doing LOTS of cruises very soon (Sept/Oct).

How in the world would anyone know about Nov and Dec at this point.

For those people that did not know - is that NCL's fault? What do you suggest they do about that?

Maybe those folks that thing there should be "clearer" and more "personal" answers should get a job at NCL. Or call NCL and give them the answers that they do not have.

Annoyed? Really?

A lot of you got your jump to conclusions mat out for this one.

The question is a fair one given they gave a half answer already. I have NOT been calling NCL or anything like that as I am very aware of the situation in Florida. Again...I live in Houston so I know how things go.

Fwiw for all you high horse folks I made another sizable hurricane donation (same as I did for Harvey) to several funds benefitting Florida, USVI, and BVI...have you?

In the end if they had said "We are evaluating all cruise itineraries commencing in November or later" it would have been clear that no one knows, instead they addressed Escape through November.

If you don't like the post move on. The only people I'm bothering are you all, not anyone impacted by the hurricane unless they just have nothing better to do than be on here.

Thru Nov 30.

Not true...I am on the GEM out of NYC November 11th and our itinerary is the Eastern Caribbean for 10 days.I pray the people on those islands are safe. To be honest, I don't really care where we go. I will have a good time no matter what!

I certainly understand that some are very concerned about their upcoming cruises, but do they not have a sense of what has just happened. Two hurricanes impacting millions of people and thousands of companies. On Facebook, someone has to know where there December cruise is going. I wanted to tell them that I'm sure NCL is working on where all the cruises are going, but I'd guess they are understaffed due to their staff's houses being flooded and they are probably in shelters or someone else safe and not at work and that NCL is trying to make sure that their passengers on Escape are safe and get home and then the logistics of getting 2,000 stranded folks off St. Thomas. Not to mention, NCL can't change itineraries overnight, it takes planning conversations with ports, etc. So if it is until the end of November or the first of November, give them a break, I'm sure they will let you know which it is, and if that person has to know immediately where their December cruise is going, please cancel it and maybe donate that money to those that lost everything. My point is, give NCL some time to get things sorted out before you demand information or trash them. Sorry and end of rant.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Please give NCL and the other cruse lines a break, there employees at this moment are ensuring there families are safe and 2nd concerned about getting back to work. I think NCL and other cruise lines should be commended for Alan the help they are providing to there own employees and the islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thru Nov 30.

Copied from NCL.com just now:

I certainly understand that some are very concerned about their upcoming cruises, but do they not have a sense of what has just happened. Two hurricanes impacting millions of people and thousands of companies. On Facebook, someone has to know where there December cruise is going. I wanted to tell them that I'm sure NCL is working on where all the cruises are going, but I'd guess they are understaffed due to their staff's houses being flooded and they are probably in shelters or someone else safe and not at work and that NCL is trying to make sure that their passengers on Escape are safe and get home and then the logistics of getting 2,000 stranded folks off St. Thomas. Not to mention, NCL can't change itineraries overnight, it takes planning conversations with ports, etc. So if it is until the end of November or the first of November, give them a break, I'm sure they will let you know which it is, and if that person has to know immediately where their December cruise is going, please cancel it and maybe donate that money to those that lost everything. My point is, give NCL some time to get things sorted out before you demand information or trash them. Sorry and end of rant.
If the vegetation changed this much, just think of what happened to the structures etc...

virginislands_oli_2017253.0.jpg

Epic is currently in Europe doing Mediterranean itineraries. It won't be back till mid November when by then they will have a better idea of what can be done as far as Eastern Caribbean itineraries. The Getaway is also in Europe not sure when she is scheduled to come back.

The Getaway is scheduled to come back to Miami in October. They have 2 more Baltic 9 day cruises left after the one they are on now, then the transatlantic. Not sure of the exact dates in October.

It is a nightmare in most of Florida right now. People are trying to get back to their homes and see what is left. They are having a tough time with traffic gridlock,roads under water, and a shortage of gasoline. Just getting to Miami will be a challenge for awhile. I did hear on the news this am that the MIA was going to open with limited flights.That is a good start.

Edited by Seminole1975

I'm not sure why they should wait to make any sort of statement until they have answers for all questions. They're releasing information as they have it. The plan for the rest of this month is likely first priority and then they're worry about Oct/Nov/Dec.