Swiss Muesli recipe?

Herfnerd

Just returned off the Eurodam and my wife LOVED their Swiss Muesli for breakfast and from the Lido Sweet Shop. A search found a recipe from 2005 but didn't know if it has changed in the last dozen or so years. I know we should have asked before we disembarked but does anyone have anything a little more recent??

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am from Switzerland and very happy to read that HAL does amazing Birchermüsli! Been wondering about it and looking much more forward to breakfast now! :)

Thanks for sharing your impression!

Just to echo sailingskyward's post, just google "Birchermüsli" and you'll find a bunch of recipes. There's the "original" one and then several variations... :)

I can't tell you the recipe, but I believe you will find an authentic recipe by searching for it by it's Swiss name:

Birchermüesli

Hope that helps. Glad to know I'm not the only one who loves it!

Thank you for this information.

My husband and I love the Swiss Muesli served onboard, I'm going to make it for us to enjoy at home too.

Looked it up. That sounds tasty! I will have to try it on my Alaska cruise next summer.

Sounds like the inspiration for the overnight oats that's the big rage here now. I've been wanting to try that, too but haven't yet. I hate cooked oatmeal and thought this might be a better option.

If you get a chance, would you post that old recipe? I love muesli! Always loved my trips to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland because some permutation of muesli would be on the breakfast buffet. And, in the US, the muesli at the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco is pretty tasty. There used to be a good muesli at what is now the Marriott Waikoloa on the Big Island - it was a popular hotel back in the day for German tours going around Hawaii.

If you get a chance, would you post that old recipe? I love muesli! Always loved my trips to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland because some permutation of muesli would be on the breakfast buffet. And, in the US, the muesli at the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco is pretty tasty. There used to be a good muesli at what is now the Marriott Waikoloa on the Big Island - it was a popular hotel back in the day for German tours going around Hawaii.

Here ya go!

Swiss Muesli Like Holland America's

4 servings

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon honey

1 to 2 apples, peeled and grated

1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or almonds

1 cup low-fat yogurt (any flavor you wish)

Combine oats, milk and honey and leave soaking in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning, add the grated apple, hazelnuts or almonds, and yogurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Thanks 1

Here ya go!

4 servings

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon honey

Thank you for the recipe. I also tried HAL's muesli for the first time this year and loved it:)

Making my own Bircher Müsli I also thoght that the one by HAL is pretty good. Not that sweet as on other cruise lines. Not that "watered down". The only complaint... I had to make "my own" every morning. Sorry, but an espresso cup half filled with Müsli is just to fill a tooth... So I grabbed an empty bowl, Müsli as a base, added prunes, rasins and a fruit cup. Then I was happy :hearteyes:! But actually our table was covered with empty bowls, cups and more...

I use a mix of 6 whole grains and grind them, water them overnight. Then I mix a mix of 5 flakes (like rolled oats) with raisins, milk and yoghurt (for those who like it Chia seeds) and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I add dades, walnuts to the grain and blend it up (dades replace the honey). Apple and banana added and blended and then the yoghurt mix is mixed into it. I have a special kitchen appliance (not just for that) which is able to grind grains or just "grate" nuts, apples, banana or simply stir in stuff. So it´s all made in one bowl.

steamboats

Here ya go!

4 servings

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon honey

Thank you! I made this the other night and yesterday we just could not stop eating it! I also suggest raisins and walnuts. Soooo good!!!

To you Muesli makers: Is it really necessary to grate the apples? That sounds like a lot of work. One recipe did call for cutting the apples, skin and all, into small pieces. Has anyone tried doing this?

My wife made this the other day and just cut up an apple into small bits - tasted fine to me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To you Muesli makers: Is it really necessary to grate the apples? That sounds like a lot of work. One recipe did call for cutting the apples, skin and all, into small pieces. Has anyone tried doing this?

Cutting the apple into small pieces will do it also. The important thing with Bircher Müsli is that you soak the flakes (and grain) overnight. If you add raisins add them to the overnight part. All other fresh ingredients like any kind of fruit/berries or nuts are added in the morning.

I usally have apple and banana in my Müsli as both is available all year round. I have some blueberries in my fridge so they will go into the Müsli tomorrow morning as an add on.

I do have my own recipe (sorry, it´s in German). I think I have to add a couple of more photos. That´s one of the first ones I put online. I didn´t take any photos of the single steps. As I just made the grain and the yoghurt mix I will take some photos and add them. And I use this kitchen appliance called Thermomix (German company). Pretty expensive but absolutly great!

steamboats