Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay

idraconis

Despite the media exaggeration (only one outlet said the cruise ship terminal was ok), looks like the island did ok. Please try to venture out of the cruise ship area and spend money whether on taxis, local restaurants, golf carts...it helps the rebuilding process.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're on the Carnival Glory leaving 9/16, and Carnival just emailed us stating that we are going to Amber Cove instead of Grand Turk.

Did you go under your booking to see if it reflects the updated itinerary and if it gives you the option to pick excursions in Amber Cove? I can't remember what the cutoff is to purchase so not sure if they would be there or not.

St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Tortola, Key West: All four ports are closed indefinitely. Gene Sloan at USA Today is reporting that St. Thomas and St Maarten could be closed to cruise ships for weeks, and possibly for months. Norwegian Cruise Line has replaced all Eastern Caribbean itineraries until November with Western Caribbean ones and Royal Caribbean has ships that will be stopping in St. Kitts and St. Croix instead of St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

San Juan: The eye of Hurricane Irma passed 50 miles to the north of San Juan. As a result, the area received just minimal damage and the port has reopened. The shops in Old San Juan began to reopen two days after the storm.

Grand Turk: Reports came in from Grand Turk saying that the port reopened on Tuesday September 12. However, officials are now stating that a few minor repairs are needed and the port should reopen in a few days.

Nassau and Freeport Bahamas: The ports are operating as normal.

Half Moon Cay: Holland America Line sent out a statement saying that Half Moon Cay was not damaged and is fully operational.

Did you go under your booking to see if it reflects the updated itinerary and if it gives you the option to pick excursions in Amber Cove? I can't remember what the cutoff is to purchase so not sure if they would be there or not.

I just checked and there are not any shore excursions posted for availability yet.

While I don't believe the beaches would be closed, I still wish they would just replace it with an Island that wasn't hit hard by Irma for a couple months. GT doesn't offer much to begin with.

Maybe give some thought to how much our cruise dollars mean to the people on this island. Jack's shack has reported they received little damage and will be up and running, wonderful beach and place to go. We rented a golf cart a couple of times and toured the island. Lots to see, from Flamingos to wild burros, to playing with Topher the dog at Jacks in the water.

Pat

Replacing GT with Amber Cove for now.

huh, i thought heald said grand turk was already open for business and carnival was sailing for her? My cruise already in november has grand turk and st thomas..looks like i am on the main mystery cruise.

Edited by csoud68

Maybe give some thought to how much our cruise dollars mean to the people on this island. Jack's shack has reported they received little damage and will be up and running, wonderful beach and place to go. We rented a golf cart a couple of times and toured the island. Lots to see, from Flamingos to wild burros, to playing with Topher the dog at Jacks in the water.

Pat

When the main attraction for a port is a dog at a beach bar, that should tell you all you need to know.