Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay

idraconis

dont flame me for saying this as i am just reporting...my travel agent just told me that although the grand turk port is open, the beaches will be closed until december 14.

it looks like margaritaville will be operational but no swimming or walking on the beach..

dont flame me for saying this as i am just reporting...my travel agent just told me that although the grand turk port is open, the beaches will be closed until december.

it looks like margaritaville will be operational but no swimming or walking on the beach..

Wonder why the beach would be closed? I mean CCL maintains that beach at the end of the dock....seems like they could clean it up fairly quickly....no real infrastructure there.

There may not be a beach left. New sand would have to be pumped in from off shore or barged in.

Thats a weird spot too, because its so shallow right the shore, and then maybe 300yrds out it just drops away to like 7k feet. Cant imagine what that would do for storm surge, etc.

Wonder why the beach would be closed? I mean CCL maintains that beach at the end of the dock....seems like they could clean it up fairly quickly....no real infrastructure there.
i agree. maybe the main public beaches are closed..i dont know.

lol....I'm sure.

On a different note I do t like GT and will stay on the ship. I thought the beach there was nasty , this is just my opinion. After HMC GT yuck

If you have any interest in snorkle/scuba, its great for that. But yes I agree the beaches in general are OK at best....

dont flame me for saying this as i am just reporting...my travel agent just told me that although the grand turk port is open, the beaches will be closed until december 14.

I find this hard to believe. Water conditions change on a daily basis. This seems very far out.

If this is the case, I'd rather be routed to a different functional island. I have no desire to hangout at the pool at Margaritaville. That would be a wasted day.

here is the Cruise Port and Jack's Shack on Google earth, the cruise ports is all cement and weathered the storm, not really sure about the condition of Jack's Shack

https://earth.google.com/web/@21.43250347,-71.14808723,1.27540251a,1283.93044066d,35y,-108.7575103h,45.00196225t,0r/data=CmEaXxJZCiUweDhlYjJkNDRkYTM5MWU5NTk6MHgyM2RiMDU3OWQ0MWU3NGRlGXaiJCTSbjVAISKNCpxsyVHAKh5KYWNrJ3MgU2hhY2sgQmVhY2ggQmFyICYgR3JpbGwYAiAB

I don't want to be in the water so close to all the crap coming off the ship....it just felt polluted to me.....probably just in my head:eek:

Will check out Jacks in February

What exactly do you think is coming out? When I was there the water was crystal clear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The beach is indeed so nice by Jack's Shack. And it's usually much less crowded than by Margaritaville.

Has there been any news as to its condition after Irma?

The last post on Jack's FB page said they were all fine post-Irma (including the dogs) but no info regarding the shack.

I find this hard to believe. Water conditions change on a daily basis. This seems very far out.

If this is the case, I'd rather be routed to a different functional island. I have no desire to hangout at the pool at Margaritaville. That would be a wasted day.

While I don't believe the beaches would be closed, I still wish they would just replace it with an Island that wasn't hit hard by Irma for a couple months. GT doesn't offer much to begin with.

While I don't believe the beaches would be closed, I still wish they would just replace it with an Island that wasn't hit hard by Irma for a couple months. GT doesn't offer much to begin with.

Not having much to

Offer was one thing that appealed to me We've been 3x and we've Beach combed, taxied in to town with lunch at a beach restaurant and snorkeled and relaxed at Jacks Shack afterward. All great days.

Do they have lounge chairs and umbrellas there? How far is the walk?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are some near there for rent by other people, but we just lay on our towels or sit at a table and chairs while having some drinks. It's a little bit of a hike, but if you stay down and walk along the water, it's a lot easier. I find it worth it because by the ship, the water has seaweed and stuff in it and the beach had a lot of it too. At least there has been when I've been there.

The beach is indeed so nice by Jack's Shack. And it's usually much less crowded than by Margaritaville.

Has there been any news as to its condition after Irma?

The last post on Jack's FB page said they were all fine post-Irma (including the dogs) but no info regarding the shack.

A friend shared a video just a little while ago. The Shack survived! I'm so happy for them!