Sewing machine on a 15 day cruise

Momyar

Hey all, I love to sew and hubby and I are taking a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. 9 total sea days.

We're not gamblers, drinkers or partiers.

He's encouraging me to take a machine. The machine is only 11 lbs and would fit in a carry you on.

What do you think?

On my first cruise, there were two ladies who had brought their sewing machines with them. They set them up every sea day in the card room and made stuff. They were working on small projects like fabric key chains. Now, I haven't seen a card room on a ship in awhile so you may have trouble finding a table next to an outlet.

i bought myself an outlef extender, like for christmas lights. it is perfect for cruises, and no surge

i knit and my friend made me a knitting kit with a small set of dmc scissors to cut the yarn. i'm scared to bring it on and get it confiscated.

I always take my knitting/crocheting. I fly with childrens blunt scissors and never a problem. Years ago I started an afghan on a 7-day cruise where we had sea days. I have a 10-day cruise this time so I'm taking it again. It is sitting on 36 inch nylon circular knitting needles and will be packed in the big suitcase.

I like the idea of taking a sewing machine. If I was not flying I would consider a sewing machine.

Hey all, I love to sew and hubby and I are taking a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. 9 total sea days.

We're not gamblers, drinkers or partiers.

He's encouraging me to take a machine. The machine is only 11 lbs and would fit in a carry you on.

What do you think?

Also, just wanted to add that my husband and I took this Hawaii cruise from San Francisco in November 2015. I do papercrafting. So I took my markers and 20 or so pages of paper that I had already stamped with images to color that I planned to use on Christmas cards. There was a lot of time to work on crafts on all those sea days. It was nice to have time to do it without having nagging thoughts about housekeeping or being interrupted by kitties :D

Why not bring your sewing machine? If that's what you enjoy doing, then go for it! There are outlets right at the desk and you could put it there with the presser foot below you. I've brought crafts along to do doing sea days and found it very enjoyable. :)

Business opportunity for the OP? Set up the machine and then provide a trouser alteration service for cruises passengers who have spent too much time in the MDR ... ;);)

Take it! I'm a quilter and understand the pleasure you receive from sewing. My only concern would be bringing supplies along for the project. Handwork is always the first item packed for a cruise. We leave in October on the Royal for 26 days and I have Sashiko blocks ready to go! You might enjoy appliquéing a Hawaiian block on your cruise. Happy stitches, Karen

I was initially thinking, why does this woman need anyone else's opinion on this, but now I see it was a good question to ask since it produced so many useful ideas and interesting responses. I, for one, never realized how many people sew or quilt on long cruises. I know they do other crafts and practice their arts. My dad and stepmother took us on a cruise and during at-sea days, she was perfectly content to skip all the "beauty of the cruise" to do her Pergamano or make her exquisite greeting cards.

The idea of setting up a pop-up alterations station was clever and funny. Too bad it would be allowed.

You would prefer to be in your cabin sewing, while you would be missing the beauty of a cruise? Seems like a waste to take a cruise if you want to spend your time sewing. BTW, I love sewing too, but, long, cold winter days take care of that.

I see people knitting, coloring, reading on their computers, so why not sewing? However the OP chooses to spend her time, why not?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

I pre made lots of reverse applique blocks to bring on a cruise so I could just sit and hand sew while sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine ...I got lots more done than I would have at home !!!!! And all I had to bring was the blocks,thread,extra needles and small scissors ..it was great

Take it! I'm a quilter and understand the pleasure you receive from sewing. My only concern would be bringing supplies along for the project. Handwork is always the first item packed for a cruise. We leave in October on the Royal for 26 days and I have Sashiko blocks ready to go! You might enjoy appliquéing a Hawaiian block on your cruise. Happy stitches, Karen

Now I know what to bring on our Hawaiian cruise -- the Hawaiian pillow block I bought the last time we were there (7 yrs ago) and never touched! Thanks for the idea.