Sewing machine on a 15 day cruise

Momyar

Hey all, I love to sew and hubby and I are taking a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. 9 total sea days.

We're not gamblers, drinkers or partiers.

He's encouraging me to take a machine. The machine is only 11 lbs and would fit in a carry you on.

What do you think?

You would prefer to be in your cabin sewing, while you would be missing the beauty of a cruise? Seems like a waste to take a cruise if you want to spend your time sewing. BTW, I love sewing too, but, long, cold winter days take care of that.

Hey all, I love to sew and hubby and I are taking a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. 9 total sea days.

He's encouraging me to take a machine. The machine is only 11 lbs and would fit in a carry you on.

What do you think?

Don't see why not, although I question why you're asking for feedback on the idea. Unfortunately (as you've already seen), you won't get 100% positive feedback.

I'm a big believer in spending your cruise doing whatever you want, even if it's 7 straight days in your cabin watching tv and ordering room service, as long as it's not making someone else needlessly unhappy. Since it's not like you're asking for permission to practice the trumpet on your balcony, I don't see why it's anyone's business.

If you're one that presses as you sew, know that irons aren't allowed in the cabins. You would have to go to the laundromat for that.

If you decide to take your machine I'd like to know how it works out. We cruise several months at a time and I sometimes wish I had a machine with me.

Some people sit on balcony read and watch the sea go by every day.

Why not sew and watch the sea go by. To each their own.

That's what's nice about a cruise, can do whatever you want, might not be

what someone else might do but what you want to do.

There are actually quilting cruises where lots of folks bring their machines and do quilting. I know because my wife is a quilter although she doesn't want to do a cruise of that sort. She takes her tatting which is much easier to deal with. Taking a sewing machine on a cruise is not at all unusual - it's just that most folks haven't heard of doing so.

I say go ahead and take it and have a blast. Sitting on the balcony sewing - or sitting where you can see out the window and sewing both sound good. If it's something you enjoy and it makes you happy then I can't see any reason not to take the machine along.

My wife has a couple of machines. One for her quilting and larger stuff and one that she uses for smaller stuff and also takes to her small subgroup of her quilting guild when they have certain types of meetings. (I'm just glad she doesn't want a long arm machine as we don't have room for one and they are pretty dang spendy.)

make sure you don't try to take a power strip to connect more than one item through to the socket. Look at http://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

Nothing wrong with a power strip as long as it doesn't have surge protection. It's the surge protection that's not allowed on ships. I use this one and there is nothing wrong with doing so:

enhance

What do you think?

If it's quilting, how about making up a few "kits" so you can do hand piecing or appliqué (Hawaiian style). I alway take my embroidery. I love to do "days of the week" towels. (After the fact, I can use & remember "did that towel on such & such cruise")

If you want your machine, take it. Pressing would be an issue.

:pI'm a quilter, and I am strongly considering taking my sewing machine along on our next cruise ! Only thing is.....if you like to sew, you may need to have an ironing board and iron handy, and you'll have to go to the laundry room in order to use the irons. ( No irons allowed in the cabins).

I think it's a wonderful idea to do some sewing on sea days, especially the long voyages across the Pacific. It's your cruise, and if you love to sew, then that would make you happy ! You have booked a suite, so you can set up your machine on the desk, at the very least. There should be an outlet close by.

Have a wonderful time, and send us some photos !:p - EBC

The greatest challenge will be finding a surface of a comfortable height. The desk will likely be somewhat high for your comfort, but might work. The coffee table, definitely too low, and the balcony table never struck me as sturdy enough for a whole lot, kind of shaky with a machine going on it. Whatever floats your boat...go for it.

On the Hawaiian cruise there will be some fun activities and lei making classes. Also, in Lahaina on Maui, there is a quilt shop in the shopping center - have fun.

I need so much "help' these days to do needlework - magnifying light, and needlework stand to keep the work steady, that I have given up on the idea of taking it with me on longer cruises. If we could drive to an embarkation port, I just might.

What do you think?

Whatever floats your boat.

Nothing wrong with a power strip as long as it doesn't have surge protection. It's the surge protection that's not allowed on ships. I use this one and there is nothing wrong with doing so:

enhance

I ordered mine due to reading posts about these a long time back. Recommend it.

make sure you don't try to take a power strip to connect more than one item through to the socket. Look at http://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

I agree that in most cases, using a US power strip is not a problem. What the article linked above, and the subsequent link to the USCG Safety Notice does not make clear is that the fires that were caused by the power strips were the result of the power strip both being surge protected and having a US style circuit breaker. Even in ship's power, if you try to draw too much power through a power strip, even a circuit breaker that only opens the "hot" wire will stop current flow, and no fire will be possible. The problem comes when the semi-conductors in the surge protection circuit are exposed to reverse voltage from the ground wire to the "hot" and "neutral", which can cause these semi-conductors to fail and carry current in the reverse direction causing overheating and fire. Now, since the circuit breaker opens the "hot" leg, no current flows in that wire, but it will continue to flow in the "neutral" wire. So, you have to have a combination of a US style circuit breaker and surge protection to be dangerous.

Didn't want to take this discussion too far off track, but wanted to clear up a misunderstanding regarding power strips and the USCG Safety Notice, which many professionals don't realize doesn't explain the phenomenon clearly.

i bought myself an outlef extender, like for christmas lights. it is perfect for cruises, and no surge protection.

i'm intrigued by this portable sewing machine, is it made to be portable or just happens to be a weight you feel comfy carrying on? i think that's kind of neato. i don't know how to use a sewing machine, well i do but i'm no very good at it. i would be careful about what scissors you bring.

i knit and my friend made me a knitting kit with a small set of dmc scissors to cut the yarn. i'm scared to bring it on and get it confiscated.

I think it's a great idea. I know that, when I sew, one of the biggest impedances to progress is having to stop and make meals and clean up and keep things going around the house. You won't have to worry about that on a cruise.

I once read about a woman who booked passage on a freighter and brought her machine along. She sewed new living and dining room curtains during her days at sea.

Sewing is a hobby, not unlike reading or working out or playing trivia. Unfortunately, it requires more equipment and space, but in a mini suite you should be fine.