Alcohol question :)

Scottygirl1

Hello all, we are new to Royal Caribbean and are booked on Ovation of the Seas for early next year. My question are as follows:

1) Are there many wines available on the deluxe drinks package? I noticed that wine list I saw for the pub all wines were over the $12 amount. We like sauvignon blanc and there's not much around for $12 or less.

2) Can we buy a bottle of wine to take to our room and do we get the 40% off this (while on the drinks package)

Thanks in advance - any other information would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have a recent bar/wine list?

... Are there many wines available on the deluxe drinks package? I noticed that wine list I saw for the pub all wines were over the $12 amount. We like sauvignon blanc and there's not much around for $12 or less. ...

Different bars have different wine selections, You may have to check aroiund, but you should find at least a couple of wine choices that are within the package limits.

I'm pretty shocked at the prices actually... now second guessing choosing RCL. I thought we'd be OK with the deluxe drink package but then to have to pay more each time we get a drink seems wrong. The biggest shocker is the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc - it's considered a cheap wine here in NZ but to buy on board it's more for a glass than a bottle! Oh well... we will just get on with it and hopefully find a wine we enjoy that's within the price range.

Does anyone know if Sprite zero is an option? Well any diet lemonade actually. I know there is always a diet coke but sometimes that's all.

I'm pretty shocked at the prices actually... now second guessing choosing RCL. I thought we'd be OK with the deluxe drink package but then to have to pay more each time we get a drink seems wrong. The biggest shocker is the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc - it's considered a cheap wine here in NZ but to buy on board it's more for a glass than a bottle! Oh well... we will just get on with it and hopefully find a wine we enjoy that's within the price range.

Does anyone know if Sprite zero is an option? Well any diet lemonade actually. I know there is always a diet coke but sometimes that's all.

As I said in my previous post, you do not have to pay a dime more to have a wide selection of drinks, including Sauv Blanc. The price of a glass being more than the price of a bottle is standard, at least in the US. Maybe in NZ you can get $3 glasses of wine idk. In any case, yes, they have Sprite Zero and Minute Maid Light in the freestyle machines that you have access to if you have the "soda" package.

Edit: Also, you can take on two bottles of wine per stateroom that has someone 21 years or older in it, so take on your preferred wine and open it in your cabin and enjoy glasses ship wide for no charge, or open/take the bottle into public venues and pay the corkage fee.

Thanks Tina - so if I choose a drink at the bar I can get diet sprite as a mixer? No we can't get $3 wine here but can get a great sauvignon for $10 which is approx $7 US. I'm happy to try different wines while on board and I'm sure there will be something that I'll enjoy within the range. I'm not a great wine buff so can certainly compromise.

Thanks Tina - so if I choose a drink at the bar I can get diet sprite as a mixer? No we can't get $3 wine here but can get a great sauvignon for $10 which is approx $7 US. I'm happy to try different wines while on board and I'm sure there will be something that I'll enjoy within the range. I'm not a great wine buff so can certainly compromise.

Now that I'm not quite sure about. I think a lot of bars have cans, and I don't know how extensive that selection is. I will tell you that with the deluxe package you get a soda package included so obviously it's not ideal but you could just pop to a machine and get some diet sprite then get your drink on the rocks and pour the diet sprite in. Again, not idea, but possible. I know they're different ships but Harmony had probably 3-4 Sauv Blancs that were "included" (no extra charge). A bottle of your Kim Crawford SB can be found here on land for under $11 USD so yeah, it seems like in NZ glasses are frequently less than the bottle. My favorite wine is Château Ste. Michelle Riesling which is under $7 a bottle and a glass is gonna be $7 or more anywhere you go, always.

Edit: Obviously it's a personal choice but I think you'll be happy with the drink package so I would encourage you to get it.

Kim Crawford is a $14 bottle of wine here, but high alcohol mark ups are on every cruise line, it's a huge money maker.

As I said in my previous post, you do not have to pay a dime more to have a wide selection of drinks, including Sauv Blanc. The price of a glass being more than the price of a bottle is standard, at least in the US. Maybe in NZ you can get $3 glasses of wine idk. In any case, yes, they have Sprite Zero and Minute Maid Light in the freestyle machines that you have access to if you have the "soda" package.

uuhhh, yes you do. Wine is capped at $13 per glass so if you order a $17 glass of wine, even with the drink package, you will pay an additional $4. Wines at $13 or less are very limited.