CELEBRITY EQUINOX REVIEW - The Hurricane Irma Cruise

CruisingWalter

If you are on one of the S class ships, 12 x 12 is a good size for the shelves over the bed. They will fit nicely and there won't be room for them to slide back. An alternative or addition to these would be the kind of open-top storage cubes that you can buy at home stores or even dollar stores. If you get these with a handle on one side so that they are easy to pull out, you can use them like extra drawers for small items.

Thank you so much. I was getting ready to buy some of the smaller ones, which would have been a mistake.

Thank you for your detailed review. it was very helpful, as we have two upcoming cruises booked on the Equinox in 2018. I am a little confused about your comment regarding the classic drink package though. You indicated that any drink above the $9.00 limit was charged in full. I had heard that Celebrity had recently changed that policy and was only charging the difference. Can you or anyone else comment on that?

You are correct. The policy changed and now you just pay the difference in the drink price.

Fantastic review and IMHO spot on!! We did the same excursion to Harrison's Cave and I have to admit at first it seemed like a disappointment just bouncing through the woods, but our driver was a hoot and we had a fun group that asked every five minutes "are we there yet?" "I have to go to the bathroom", until he finally told us to "sit down and be quiet".. we love caverns and these were among the best, although they were definitely the most commercialized. then we got to the beach with the most spectacular scenery ever and the rum came out. Like you we just had the best time on this trip and recommend it to anyone wanting something interesting and fun but not strenuous.

I've always kept silent about the shows on X because I thought it had to be me....all I'm going to add to your comments is it's nice to find a kindred sole!

I do have one question though...we do concierge class as well and I'm curious since you were on board around noon why you didn't have lunch in the MDR...by the time we finished lunch our cabins were ready and it was nice to have a relaxed lunch instead of the bedlam at the buffet. Again,..spot on with the canapes ???? YUCK...until I discovered that I could ask for a fruit plate and after that I looked forward to canapes every day! Being not a true vegetarian, but a plant eater, I also agree with your assessment of the menu. On previous X cruises there were at least 2 vegetarian choices...our last cruise (Eclipse) had only one and most of the time it was Indian. Now, I like Indian food but not every night, and some of it was so spicy I thought my teeth would melt.

That being said, I'm booked on the same cruise in March! I really don't care where it's going because wherever it goes will be warmer than NY and it's cheaper than renting a condo and a car and eating in restaurants on the Gulf for 2 weeks.

Marvelous review....well done. :D

Thank you for you for a great review! I agree with the World Class Bar and the best drinks at sea. And Tamara is a lot of fun! I make those drinks at home now! And I also agree on the bad entertainment. I always hope for a nice jazzy blues band in one of the bars. They had a group Southern Blues? All women and great but alas they are gone now...

Thank you so much. I was getting ready to buy some of the smaller ones, which would have been a mistake.

If you are on one of the S class ships, 12 x 12 is a good size for the shelves over the bed. They will fit nicely and there won't be room for them to slide back. An alternative or addition to these would be the kind of open-top storage cubes that you can buy at home stores or even dollar stores. If you get these with a handle on one side so that they are easy to pull out, you can use them like extra drawers for small items.

Would you mind advising of the packing cube brand you purchased? I am having difficulty finding some that are 12" x 12".

Thanks

thank you for the review - it was very detailed.

carol[/quote

I also appreciate your review. I am also like looking forward to the Oct 15 Equinox cruise though not sure of the destinations yet love cruising, room service, entertainment and meeting new people!

I was on this cruise as well and had the same opinion of this cruise. I feel any cruise is a treat and I'm thankful to be on a ship.. that being said I doubt I'll sail Celebrity again. I've never been in my cabin so early while cruising each night. Other than drinking and dancing to a poor band entertainment was scarce.

Does anybody know the "real" reason the cruise director Sara Romera left in the middle of the cruise?

We were told it was a family emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you mind advising of the packing cube brand you purchased? I am having difficulty finding some that are 12" x 12".

Thanks

My wife found them on Amazon. They fold flat so they're perfect for travel. This is not the exact brand but they're like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072BRVSC2/ref=mp_s_a_1_11_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1505819522&sr=8-11&keywords=fold+flat+cubes

I do have one question though...we do concierge class as well and I'm curious since you were on board around noon why you didn't have lunch in the MDR...by the time we finished lunch our cabins were ready and it was nice to have a relaxed lunch instead of the bedlam at the buffet. Again,..spot on with the canapes ???? YUCK...until I discovered that I could ask for a fruit plate and after that I looked forward to canapes every day! Being not a true vegetarian, but a plant eater.

Marvelous review....well done. :D

Thanks for the kind words. We honestly never thought to ask for a different option on the afternoon canapés. As for the MDR we like casual for lunch. I actually neglected to mention the amazing grilled cheese at the Gastropub. That is awesome for lunch.

Policy changed back in April 2017.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the update. We were unaware of the policy change. It still worked out well to just go ahead and get he full package for us. But thanks for updating that info.

There, usually, is in the MDR. It is a separate menu and not generally part of the distributed menu and has many items on it.

Not sure if the OP's wife knew to ask for or did not care for the offered items.

Specialty Restaurants are a different issue, IME, they will have vegetarian/vegan items on the menu provided and not one which is separate.

bon voyage

We were not made aware of a separate vegetarian menu on any of the three Celebrity cruises we took. We have it offered on other cruise lines.

So happy sailing whichever line you select to cruise. I'm taking a break from Celebrity as well. I've switched to Azamara, Oceania and am trying Holland America for the first time this February.

We saw a billboard for the new MSC Seaside while leaving Miami and are very intrigued by that ship. Especially the 360 degree boardwalk with unobstructed views. Clever to put the lifeboats below that.

Thank you for your review... and sorry your wife was not catered to as she needed to be.

bon voyage

My wife doesn't require special catering, I always point out the vegetarian options in all my ship reviews. The waiters are always made aware she is a vegetarian at the meals so they can help with making selections.

I simply report our experiences.

Thanks for taking time to make this detailed review although I am not sure I was pleased to read it with an upcoming October Equinox cruise looming. I concur with many that some additional music venues would be welcome. I am thinking specifically of the BB King option on HAL along with their dueling piano bar. I note perhaps a sense of boredom with the X class ships and we are subject to the same having been on Eclipse and Reflection twice. X has not seemingly changed things up much on these vessels over the years (at least in a positive manner). We agree wholeheartedly that it is hard to have a bad cruise and will work hard so this doesn't happen next month.

You're going to have a great time. Hang out with Tamara and Johnny at the World Class Bar in the evenings and you'll have an awesome time! :)

Thanks for such a great review! Do you think packing cubes smaller than 12" x 12" would work in the shelves, or do you think they might become "unreachable" in the back of the shelf?

I don't know. The shelves are 12" deep because our cubes fit perfectly. I think if they are smaller than 6" deep you might have a little struggle getting to them.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your report. And when I went back to find something you said, I was stunned that it was as long as it is! But so well written (paragraphs, I love them!) and formatted, a pleasure.

I don't ever remember reading someone (other than myself and my husband) who thought the old (like a few years ago) gelato being much better than the new gelato. We got it for free on our last cruise last year (we were in a suite) and we only went there once. I don't know what they did to the wonderful frozen stuff they used to serve, I wish they would bring it back!

Thanks again for all of the great port info. I will re-read this when we sail in November.

I originally thought they changed vendors but on the behind the scenes tour we learned it's made onboard. So that's why I mentioned they might have changed the recipe.

Thanks

My wife found them on Amazon. They fold flat so they're perfect for travel. This is not the exact brand but they're like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072BRVSC2/ref=mp_s_a_1_11_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1505819522&sr=8-11&keywords=fold+flat+cubes

Thank you very much!

Thanks so much for your detailed report. As others have said, you have a writing style that is thorough and entertaining.

I have a question. Where is the World Class Bar? You said deck 5, but where We've been on Equinox twice and for the life of me, I cannot remember where it is, and cannot find it on the deck plans. Must be a senior moment!

Also, did you dock inside the pontoon bridge. We only did once in 4 trips there, and just loved it. I am hoping we dock there on Equinox next month.