hypothetical question

haawwks27

room already booked. 2 people in a JS.

if someone was newly free to join the cruise, would they be allowed to join the already purchased room? or would they have to book a new room for themselves?

If the room accommodated more than two, and there was space left in the muster station, they could be added to the existing reservation.

It's all about muster stations! If MANY cabins have more than 2 in them, the ship could be "sold out" even if cabins are still available. There is a finite number of passengers allowed.

Better to add the person when booking, rather than trying to add later! You can always cancel the 3rd person within the cancellation window.

Your next question is what is the cost? When I did this they charged the then-current price to add a third person to that class of cabin, not what a third person would have cost at the time of initial booking. Also they didn't charge me additional deposit, but I don't know if that is normal.

If you're thinking of doing it go ahead and add the person now, you can always remove the person before final payment. As noted by several above you don't want to wait because even though the cabin has accommodations for a third person they might not have room in your lifeboat if too many people in your corridor add a third or fourth person to their cabin.