Continuing on from New York to Montreal on the Mariner!

SGolffan

Today was a transition on the ship if you haven't been following the other blog. We are staying on after the 18 day cruise from San Francisco to New York. We are staying on for an additional ten days to enjoy New York to Montreal. We heard 30+ new staff have been transitioned onboard from our server this evening. We know for a fact we have new Captain; which is the first female Master per passages. She hails from Livorno, Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jackie - I agree with you-- as one of the folks who sailed with you on the Explorer last November, I fell in love with this new ship. When we sailed on the Mariner this past April, we were so disappointed. Perhaps, we were comparing it to Explorer. It was just looking "so tired". The staff were still "Regent". All were determined to make the voyage wonderful. Looking forward to sailing the Explorer again, in less than two months.

Sheila

I have to also agree that Explorer (We have sailed now 4x with the Explorer: maiden voyage, inaugural carribeen,

Crossing from Miami to Barcelona and London to Reykavik), we love and is superior! We have traveled almost 200 days with Regent and one of my first blogs was the difference we have acknowledged.

Our first cruise was on Mariner in the Med in 2011 and we loved the ship. It does need a much needed refurbishment in certain areas for a five star cruise.

We are truly enjoying our cruise and the staff has been amazing! Kudos.

Jackie - I agree with you-- as one of the folks who sailed with you on the Explorer last November, I fell in love with this new ship. When we sailed on the Mariner this past April, we were so disappointed. Perhaps, we were comparing it to Explorer. It was just looking "so tired". The staff were still "Regent". All were determined to make the voyage wonderful. Looking forward to sailing the Explorer again, in less than two months.

Sheila

Hi Sheila - it is hard not to compare other ships to the Explorer. At least we know what to expect when we board the Mariner in Miami but are hoping that we have a better feeling when we board the Voyager in March since the Voyager was our favorite ship.

SGolffan, I knew that Lorraine was boarding the Mariner - she is lovely and has been with Regent for a long time. Would you mind telling me who the General Manager is now? I believe that Michael, the G.M. on our cruise got off of the ship in San Francisco. Thanks much!

Thanks for letting me know. Guess I just haven't paid attention. The "cart" that I'm happy to see return is the cheese cart in Chartreuse but it may only be on Explorer. Actually, IOO (in our opinion) everything that is great seems to be on Explorer. I'll be interested to get your "take" on the Mariner (as well as the rest of the group that we sailed with last November). I think that we were so spoiled by that ship that going back to the others is a disappointment (which in itself is a disappointment).

As far as I am aware the Prime Rib is always on a trolley in Prime 7, and both Signatures and Chartreuse have always served their cheeses from the trolley (excellent cheeses at the correct temperature :))

This is our recollection from Mariner, Voyager and Explorer.

Golffan, thank you so much for continuing your reports on the Mariner. I've read every one and enjoyed your photos as well. As a "New Yorker", we've passed the Statue of Liberty many times on our way out of NY harbor. Still gives me chills!! We'll be on the Mariner as well as the rest of the gang in November. Her "make up" may be a little smeared, but she's still a lovely lady!

Your food pictures are wonderful. We tend to take lots of food pictures as we definitely enjoy our food. While those of us in the Pacific Northwest get amazing Dungeness crab, halibut and salmon, the East Coast gets the yummy clam chowder, lobsters, etc. Keep the pictures coming!

Oh, I do have one question. Has the food in La Veranda been warm enough? We had an issue with that earlier this month (along with lukewarm side dishes in Compass Rose). Hoping that this has been remedied.

1b7a01509b6dcff31fbe2c73b8f7882c.jpg

The leaves haven't changed yet; however, we viewed a few trees with some golden leaves. We are happy, again beautiful sunny day!

Really enjoying your posts and photos. We were at the end of it last year so hope you get to see some good colour changes and the weather stays kind for you.

Pam.

The golden leaves is what we have now at home. Unfortunately, most of our trees do not turn the bright red color that we find so beautiful. Just as a comparison to the weather where you are, today will be 80 degrees and tomorrow will be 60-65 and raining. Enjoy the weather while you have it.

Your food pictures are wonderful. We tend to take lots of food pictures as we definitely enjoy our food. While those of us in the Pacific Northwest get amazing Dungeness crab, halibut and salmon, the East Coast gets the yummy clam chowder, lobsters, etc. Keep the pictures coming!

Oh, I do have one question. Has the food in La Veranda been warm enough? We had an issue with that earlier this month (along with lukewarm side dishes in Compass Rose). Hoping that this has been remedied.

Will do! Sadly, the food in La Veranda hasn't been up to par and cool at times. Since we are still on code red right now they are serving everyone when you go up to the buffet; which, slows things down even more. We have had hit and misses from ordering eggs in the morning that were delivered to our table absolutely cooked perfectly to other times way over cooked or not. Inconsistent.

We are going to Sette Mari tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Golffan, thank you so much for continuing your reports on the Mariner. I've read every one and enjoyed your photos as well. As a "New Yorker", we've passed the Statue of Liberty many times on our way out of NY harbor. Still gives me chills!! We'll be on the Mariner as well as the rest of the gang in November. Her "make up" may be a little smeared, but she's still a lovely lady!

Wow, it was so meaningful! I can see what you can still say as a "New Yorker" that it still gives you chills. It moved me more than words can express. Proud to be an American and our great country!

Will do! Sadly, the food in La Veranda hasn't been up to par and cool at times. Since we are still on code red right now they are serving everyone when you go up to the buffet; which, slows things down even more. We have had hit and misses from ordering eggs in the morning that were delivered to our table absolutely cooked perfectly to other times way over cooked or not. Inconsistent.

We are going to Sette Mari tonight.

Oh, I didn't realize that the ship was back on code red. That is upsetting news for passengers and the crew. Your might try writing down the food issues on your mid-cruise comment card (wish I had done that when we were onboard). Our experience in Sette Mari was fine -- hope that yours in as well.

Considering what is going on, your attitude is amazing!

P.S. As another proud American, seeing the Statue of Liberty - even in a photo brings chills - it is a reminder of very fortunate we are to be in this amazing country.

2ea394819f796cbe8569c2258e23bf33.jpg

Great port!

Holy Moly Andy! Our daughter and son in law live in Newport. That was a nice shot of their yacht club!! I can't see their boat but it's out there somewhere. I'll be missing you by a day. I leave for Newport in the am.....girls weekend!