Grand vs Ruby??

alwalaska

All other things being equal - Ruby Princess or Grand Princess and why??

We sailed Ruby back in 2006 and very much enjoyed the cruise. Buffet and shows felt overly crowded, but at that point in time, it was the largest ship we had ever been on.

We like any time dining if that matters.

Given choices, I almost always try to cruise on a smaller ship (even though the Grand is older). I've sailed out of San Pedro and San Francisco Bay on both of these ships. SF was very memorable, although a bit cold.

Thanks. How long in Feb before we hit warmer weather on the Grand?

I'm thinking 10 days and smaller ship wins. We did the Island last year out of San Pedro and enjoyed that. There were some frustrations with My time dining and not great locations for secondary shows, but all in all, it was a great cruise.

I go out of San Francisco on the Grand often, my home port. You will not get warm weather til you get below San Diego... basically first 2 days going down and the last 2 days coming back will be cool.

The Ruby and Grand are about the same in size and design.

I did a TA and a 7 day on the Ruby some years ago... enjoyed the ship. Have been on the Grand about 6 times since it was moved to San Francisco... very good service on board.

No problem with either but have to admit we do like Ruby better because the lounge/bar areas suit us a bit better.

We don't spend much time in the bars other than to listen to some music in the evenings. Other than Skywalkers being gone, what about the bar areas works better for you?

We really enjoy the Grand a lot, even though it is old. We alternate between the Newer Regal and the older Grand and enjoy each for very different reasons. Love the enclosed pool option on the Grand. Prefer the MUTS more on the Emerald/Ruby vs the Gr and. The dining room staff were exceptional on the Grand last time we sailed. Fewer passengers on the Grand. Less crowds at Explorers Lounge.

We sailed Ruby back in 2006 and very much enjoyed the cruise. Buffet and shows felt overly crowded, but at that point in time, it was the largest ship we had ever been on.

The Ruby was commissioned on 2008.

I've done both and say Ruby.

The Ruby was commissioned on 2008.

I've done both and say Ruby.

Oops, thanks! My old brain was confusing ships and gems. We were on the Sapphire. I think she is a different class all together.

I go out of San Francisco on the Grand often, my home port. You will not get warm weather til you get below San Diego... basically first 2 days going down and the last 2 days coming back will be cool.

The Ruby and Grand are about the same in size and design.

The Ruby has one entire extra deck and maybe an additional 500 passengers without adding any additional public spaces.

I did a TA and a 7 day on the Ruby some years ago... enjoyed the ship. Have been on the Grand about 6 times since it was moved to San Francisco... very good service on board.

Plus the Grand has Alfredo's. Extra days at sea are just a bonus.

There isn't anything "wrong" with the Ruby, I just don't care for larger ships.