December 30th Cruise on Escape - New Itinerary

scubadc

So I too received the email saying that my cruise itinerary was going to be shifted. Now I had seen the other altered itinerary for the Escape, and I wasn't unhappy with that, ports included Belize, Roatan and a couple in Mexico. I could live with that as a replacement. However our stops are now Falmouth, George Town and Cozumel, I am really unhappy with that.

I completely understand the need to change the itinerary given the devastation that the people in the area have suffered though this year, and my thoughts and prayers are with them.

That being said, I have spent a fair bit of money on this vacation, and unfortunately Jamaica is not a location in the Caribbean that I am even remotely interested in visiting. I don't cruise to shop so the protected port at Falmouth (which by the way gets a nice 2.5 stars out of 5 in the review on this site), I want to see sights, snorkel and enjoy myself, escaping at that time of the year from the cold of the northern climate that I live in.

Anyway, I just thought I would post the itinerary change in case someone has not seen it. I'm in the process of contacting Norwegian to see if there is any compensation.

Cheers

OP, I wonder if you've considered what it takes to secure a place at a port of call. With the devastation Irma and Maria have caused on the numerous islands of the Caribbean, I wonder how you expect any cruise line to make reservations for 4000 pax to disembark on any island paridise right now.

IMO we should all be thankful that we are not part and parcel of this horrific event.

Compensation... read your contract... none necessary. You make your choice...

So I too received the email saying that my cruise itinerary was going to be shifted. Now I had seen the other altered itinerary for the Escape, and I wasn't unhappy with that, ports included Belize, Roatan and a couple in Mexico. I could live with that as a replacement. However our stops are now Falmouth, George Town and Cozumel, I am really unhappy with that.

I completely understand the need to change the itinerary given the devastation that the people in the area have suffered though this year, and my thoughts and prayers are with them.

That being said, I have spent a fair bit of money on this vacation, and unfortunately Jamaica is not a location in the Caribbean that I am even remotely interested in visiting. I don't cruise to shop so the protected port at Falmouth (which by the way gets a nice 2.5 stars out of 5 in the review on this site), I want to see sights, snorkel and enjoy myself, escaping at that time of the year from the cold of the northern climate that I live in.

Anyway, I just thought I would post the itinerary change in case someone has not seen it. I'm in the process of contacting Norwegian to see if there is any compensation.

Cheers

Can understand your frustration but I think it is realistic for anyone sailing in the next 3 or 4 months, maybe longer to expect changes to ports one might not want to visit. There are only so many ships that can be in any port on any given day. Think of all the ships and cruise lines affected by three major hurricanes,all in a period of a few weeks.Let's hope the season is winding down.

Jamaica is an amazing port with tons to do. People have this perception that it’s run down, drugs all over, and unsafe which is completely untrue. Never had any problems whatsoever in Falmouth. I have been hassled more in Nassau and Roatan than anywhere in Jamaica.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What I just don't understand with any of this is why a person would expect any compensation what so ever. These islands are disasters right now and people on these boards are complaining because they are not getting "good" alternative ports. Can you imagine the logistic nightmare all of these cruiselines are going through to try and give cruisers a cruise? I for one would just be happy I am still getting a vacation - the poor people on these islands need so much more. We all need to learn to appreciate what we have. Enjoy your cruise and give Jamaica a chance..

Jamaica is an amazing port with tons to do. People have this perception that it’s run down, drugs all over, and unsafe which is completely untrue. Never had any problems whatsoever in Falmouth. I have been hassled more in Nassau and Roatan than anywhere in Jamaica.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree.

Drugs all over, unsafe. Sounds like many places in the USA. Jamaica would not be my first choice. But I would not have any problems going there.

Edited by 2ManyCruises

Why would there be any compensation? The cruise line has the right to alter itineraries at its discretion. The ticket contract you say you read when you completed your forms on-line says that very VERY clearly. Sorry but you are SOL IMO.

I understand the contract, however it never hurts to ask and I am still outside of the 90 days to get a full refund and I have that leverage. They may want part of my money or offer some sort of on-board compensation.

All they can say is no.

Cheers

What I just don't understand with any of this is why a person would expect any compensation what so ever. These islands are disasters right now and people on these boards are complaining because they are not getting "good" alternative ports. Can you imagine the logistic nightmare all of these cruiselines are going through to try and give cruisers a cruise? I for one would just be happy I am still getting a vacation - the poor people on these islands need so much more. We all need to learn to appreciate what we have. Enjoy your cruise and give Jamaica a chance..

It's interesting to see the dialog that this thread has bought up.

I truly feel sorry for what the people have been though, and I've seen similar circumstances first hand. I was in Provo and Miami just after Hurricane Wilma went though in October of 2005, and in evacuated the Keys in 2008 for Tropical Storm Fay. I've seen the flooding and devastation first hand, with roofs blown off and the tops of palm trees removed, although looking at the news reports that have come in, what I saw doesn't compare with what these poo people are going though.

That being said, where I spend my money for vacation is my personal choice. As I am outside of the 90 days for a refund, I have options. And this is what I am looking into (I have to do it fast, the window is closing). Another post about positive experiences in Falmouth was very valuable to me; most of the reviews of the excursions on this site were not very positive.

I do not feel that the cruise line is at fault, they are trying to deliver the best experience that they can under somewhat dire circumstances, and according to the contract that I signed with them. However it is not what I had originally envisioned for my holiday, and having an option of getting a refund and looking elsewhere for other possibilities may be the route that is taken, I am not sure yet. Some people will agree with me, and others won't (for various reasons that are all their own). And I know people who love going to Jamaica, and go back time and time again. I have just never been that interested, and again that is my personal feeling.

Cheers and happy cruising.

Nobody is ever going to get a refund due to a course alteration. That clause has been in cruise contracts for DECADES and why anyone is wasting time thinking about it I am not sure. Jamaica "full of drugs" then stay on the boat. Whining to hear yourself whine.

Actually according to the cancellation schedule - https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/about/cancellation-fee-schedule for a 7 day cruise, no cancellation fees are withheld, so 100% is refundable.

And I never said Jamaica is full of drugs, I stated that it is not a place I wished to holiday in.

If you have the option to cancel and get a full refund as the itinerary doesn’t work for you, by all means go for it!

It's interesting to see the dialog that this thread has bought up.

I truly feel sorry for what the people have been though, and I've seen similar circumstances first hand. I was in Provo and Miami just after Hurricane Wilma went though in October of 2005, and in evacuated the Keys in 2008 for Tropical Storm Fay. I've seen the flooding and devastation first hand, with roofs blown off and the tops of palm trees removed, although looking at the news reports that have come in, what I saw doesn't compare with what these poo people are going though.

That being said, where I spend my money for vacation is my personal choice. As I am outside of the 90 days for a refund, I have options. And this is what I am looking into (I have to do it fast, the window is closing). Another post about positive experiences in Falmouth was very valuable to me; most of the reviews of the excursions on this site were not very positive.

I do not feel that the cruise line is at fault, they are trying to deliver the best experience that they can under somewhat dire circumstances, and according to the contract that I signed with them. However it is not what I had originally envisioned for my holiday, and having an option of getting a refund and looking elsewhere for other possibilities may be the route that is taken, I am not sure yet. Some people will agree with me, and others won't (for various reasons that are all their own). And I know people who love going to Jamaica, and go back time and time again. I have just never been that interested, and again that is my personal feeling.

Cheers and happy cruising.

I understand the contract, however it never hurts to ask and I am still outside of the 90 days to get a full refund and I have that leverage. They may want part of my money or offer some sort of on-board compensation.

All they can say is no.

Cheers

I suggest that you cancel. I would be very disappointed if NCL offered any compensation.