Alaska Newbie

Live to Dream

The best one is the one with the most nights at the Denali Princess Lodge! You need at least two nights so you'll have a full day for the park. Don't know off the top of my head if there're any with more than two nights.

Thanks Sea Hag

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

You're very welcome. :)

Another thing I always pitch is if you get a cruisetour that goes to Copper River, then you get a wonderful trip overland between Copper River and Denali. I wouldn't have missed that for anything! It was a real highlight of the trip.

We've done the Denali Explorer with 1 night Anchorage, 2 nights Denali, and 1 or 2 nights at McKinley the last two years and they were wonderful. Agree that you need 2 nights at Denali because you need the extra time to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour which is a must. We also loved taking the train from Denali to the ship the last two year. Long but amazing scenery. I don't think Alaska will ever get old to us.

Are you committed to the idea of a cruise tour?

The reason I ask is...we got off the cruise ship, then did a DIY and LOVED the ability to come and go as we pleased...spend as much time as we wished...make our own decisions and have the freedom that a rental car gave us.

....just a thought....

The best one is the one with the most nights at the Denali Princess Lodge! You need at least two nights so you'll have a full day for the park. Don't know off the top of my head if there're any with more than two nights.

I totally agree with you 100%.

Tony

2 days at Denali lodge for the Tundra Wilderness tour. 2 days at McKinley lodge as that is where you will have a chance to actually see the mountain if you are lucky. We had folks in our group who were there for the fifth time and the time with us was the first time they had ever seen the mountain come completely out from behind the clouds. It was fully revealed and awe inspiring.

Now that we've done that (and also been back on a land trip this summer) we want to do a cruse tour that hits Copper River and Kenai lodges. (We got there during our land trip this summer as well but we were camping and staying at the lodges is a whole different ball game. :))

As far as the "best" land tour in Alaska is concerned... Any one you can do is worth it. We loved Alaska the 3 times we've been there. It was very cool on our cruise tour and then again on our camping trip this summer in that it simply never got dark. Very different and cool. :cool: