Interesting Conversation with HAL rep

SJSULIBRARIAN

I called HAL reservations to make sure two cruises I wanted to book did not violate the PVSA. I didn't think they did but wanted to make sure. His response was "You mean the Jones Act". I did not argue the point.

In the booking process, he first quoted me the Explore 4 price. No thanks don't want Explore 4. Then he quoted me the non-refundable deposit price. No thanks. Finally, I got the price with a refundable deposit. Please don't ask me what the price differences were because I really was not paying attention knowing I wanted a refundable deposit.

Lesson in booking: one really has to be on one's toes.

Good ending to this whole process is that the cruises are booked with the same cabin for both so I won't have to move.

Posters on this board have reported having their reservation pulled for this once it goes through the HAL computers.
If you're talking about transferring a booking, it can be done anytime before final payment is made. We've never had an issue. I often leave short, lesser priced cruises with our PCC as a "thank you" for all he does, as it does help their annual bonus, but they are compensated on bookings they originate then transferred as well. They're also salaried to encourage them to service clients in anyway needed.

I also called HAL reps (not PCC) recently and was surprised at all of the price options available. I think there were 4 options, 2 refundable and 2 nonrefundable. Her quote was still $200 higher on the lowest refundable fare that I had found online from a major travel site. I gave her my lowest fare to see if she was missing something but she couldn’t match it. I would prefer to have HAL hold the reservation until final payment but not this time. It’s been a few years since I have had a good PCC.

Call HAL if you want fare options. There is more than you see online.

Since he was wrong on which law I don't know if would trust him to know whether the cruises were OK or not. ;)

I'm with you Peter ;)

Of course, the OP can always call back a couple of time and see how many answers they get :')

Good thing that the OP was on the ball.(y)

If you're talking about transferring a booking, it can be done anytime before final payment is made. We've never had an issue. I often leave short, lesser priced cruises with our PCC as a "thank you" for all he does, as it does help their annual bonus, but they are compensated on bookings they originate then transferred as well. They're also salaried to encourage them to service clients in anyway needed.

No, about the PVSA.

We do the same--leave the short cruises with the PCC and transfer the ones that will give us a substantial amount of OBC to the outside TA. The upsells that come directly to my e-mail are the ones I leave with the PCC and are also the upsells that come in at a reasonable price which I am tempted to take.

We do the same--leave the short cruises with the PCC and transfer the ones that will give us a substantial amount of OBC to the outside TA. The upsells that come directly to my e-mail are the ones I leave with the PCC and are also the upsells that come in at a reasonable price which I am tempted to take.

The PCC's, have quota they muust meet. It is not only 'bonus' that matter, though, of course, it does gt it is also a need to meet a minimum amount of bookings.

Since he was wrong on which law I don't know if would trust him to know whether the cruises were OK or not. ;)

All of which begs the question of why OP was seeking legal advice from a travel agent/consultant and not a lawyer. :confused: IMO that makes about as much sense as seeking medical assistance from the plumber who lives next door. If I really needed/wanted to know about PVSA and/or the Jones Act, I would consult a maritime lawyer, but hey that's just me ...

[quote name=kazu;54184191... Of course' date=' the OP can always call back a couple of time and see how many answers they get :')

Good thing that the OP was on the ball.(y)[/quote]

My guess is that as long as OP continued to direct a legal question to a non-lawyer, she/he would continue to get different answers until either OP figured out that she/he needed legal advice or the HAL rep directed OP's call to the HAL General Counsel's Office. JMO

Edited by avian777

All of which begs the question of why OP was seeking legal advice from a travel agent/consultant and not a lawyer. :confused: IMO that makes about as much sense as seeking medical assistance from the plumber who lives next door. If I really needed/wanted to know about PVSA and/or the Jones Act, I would consult a maritime lawyer, but hey that's just me ...
Is HAL a suspected violator of the PVSA? It would never have occurred to me to ask for a couple of reasons: 1. How would a violation affect me instead of the cruise line? 2. Don't you think that PVSA compliance is built into HAL's itinerary and booking templates?

I suppose if I didn't have a passport, I might be concerned.

Edited by blizzardboy

Is HAL a suspected violator of the PVSA? It would never have occurred to me to ask for a couple of reasons: 1. How would a violation affect me instead of the cruise line? 2. Don't you think that PVSA compliance is built into HAL's itinerary templates?

Absolutely, and that is why I am so amazed that anyone would actually think it necessary/advisable to question a HAL reservations rep about such matters. In fact, if I had any misgivings about HAL's compliance with PVSA (or other applicable laws), I would direct those concerns/questions either to HAL's General Counsel or to my own attorney.

My thoughts exactly. Best that OP run this past one or two more reps. They have been wrong on too many occasions.

Indeed they have, and on some pretty specific issues. Perhaps in this case the OP could ask for a supervisor, but the result might be the same.

OP wanted to know if HAL would sell her the two cruises she wanted to sail. It happens that there are cruises which, taken together, would contravene the PVSA and HAL says, sorry, no, that won't work and we won't sell you those.

Thank you, that was my point. Would HAL sell me those two cruises. Nothing more, nothing less.

My thoughts exactly. Best that OP run this past one or two more reps. They have been wrong on too many occasions.

Indeed they have, and on some pretty specific issues. Perhaps in this case the OP could ask for a supervisor, but the result might be the same.

If repeated calls to HAL will all yield incorrect answers, why would it profit OP to continue down that path? Also, how would OP know when she/he was getting the correct answer?

IMO the only "safe" approach would be to consult a maritime lawyer, either one of HAL's in-house counsel or OP's own private attorney. JMO

You are right -- one has to be on top of everything with HAL.

Far too many people the last few months have not paid attention and ended up booking cruises with non-refundable deposits.

I did this because we wanted to do a Panama Canal cruise and I suddenly saw an aft cabin appear. I jumped on it. In the end the date didn't work and it was then that I found out about non-refundable deposits. No where on my booking did it mention this or I would never have booked. It was a hard lesson to learn and left a bad taste in my mouth.....Holland America is not a cruiseline of choice for us any more.