Damaged Luggage

LeeGal

Pam swears by Eagle Creek. I do too, with one exception. I purchased a piggyback set through them, with a day backpack that zips onto a roll aboard which is also a backpack so the whole thing can be carried in one piece on the back. Rick Steves swears by this for his European tours. I bought it for flying Space A on military flights.

Seven years of hard use later, the inside pockets of the backpack started to de-laminate. No problem, lifetime warranty, right? Wrong. There is damage that’s not covered and that’s among it. Furthermore, I couldn’t buy another backpack to replace it because they no longer make this set. So if anything happens that renders the roll aboard piece unusable, I’m probably out of luck.

Even with a lifetime warranty, luggage is a disposable item.

Our simple as that® guarantee covers the repair of all functional aspects of your Briggs & Riley bag for the life of your bag. Naturally, our warranty does not cover cosmetic wear or cleaning, nor does it cover damage of contents, or the replacement of lost or stolen bags and/or its contents. If your bag or its contents are damaged by an airline and you wish to hold them responsible, we suggest that you file a claim with the carrier before leaving the airport. If you choose not to do this and instead wish for us to repair your bag, we will be happy to do so at no charge. Due to the nature of certain types of repairs and normal wear and tear, it is not always possible to return your bag to its original condition. Due to discontinuation of a particular part or color, identical replacement parts may not be available. Briggs & Riley will repair or replace a damaged part with the closest matching part or component in the closest matching color. Please note: You are responsible for the cost of shipping your bag to us, however, we will return the favor and ship your bag back to you free of charge.

Copied from website, "blue highlight" from their text.

Edited by land lover

No Matter What™ Warranty

no-matter-what-warranty.jpgOur No Matter What™ Warranty covers the Lifetime Warranty promise plus the added insurance of repair or replacement due to product failure during the product lifetime, regardless of the cause. During this period, we will repair or replace it at our discretion. Contents of your bag are excluded, as are lost or stolen parts (such as zip-off daypack, backpack straps, Cargo Net, etc.)

Lifetime Warranty

lifetime-warranty.jpgOur Lifetime Warranty covers workmanship and materials against defect for the entire life of the product. During this period, if the product is covered by the warranty, we will repair or replace it at our discretion. Contents of your bag, normal wear and tear, abuse and cosmetic wear and tear are excluded. ‘Lifetime’ is defined as the lifetime of the product not of the purchaser.

What is specifically covered?

We build our products to last over extended periods of use, but inevitably everything does eventually wear out. Fabrics will deteriorate and fade and moving parts will wear out. All gear will suffer from differing degrees of wear-and-tear, depending upon use. Gear used by an adventure travel guide for 200 days of the year will, by comparison, degrade faster than gear used by someone who travels 2 to 3 times a year.

By taking care of your products you will ensure longer lifetime for your gear. Visit Caring for Your Eagle Creek Product for information on how to clean, care for, and store your gear. Use your judgment when assessing whether your product is likely to be covered under our warranty policy. It may simply be time to replace it.

We will cover your product against defect and malfunction until such a time that it has been used and worn out beyond reasonable repair.

This warranty does not cover, normal wear and tear, or the natural breakdown of colors and materials over extended time and use. Accident, improper care, negligence are excluded. Normal wear and tear is the wear and tear caused by the expected use of the bag over an extended period of time. There are a few factors that determine the end of “product life”. (1) Fabric: Product fabric makes up 90% of most Eagle Creek products. If the fabric is discolored, degraded, de-laminated or deteriorated we may determine this to be end of “product life”. (2) If a major component fails due to years of use (such as a handle, wheel or zipper) we may deem the product to have met its full life cycle.

Damage not covered under the Lifetime Warranty that is repairable can be repaired for a reasonable rate and a fee will be charged for return shipping. We have Certified Repair Centers that utilize the same type of machinery and processes used in our factory to create the original product. One of these facilities may be closer to you than the Eagle Creek on-site warranty department.

*California State Law requires that all items sent for repair to be clean. Only clean items will be repaired by our team.

I have a question - The last few Princess cruises we have been on we carried off our own luggage (mainly to get to the airport right away). Is there any reason why we cannot carry on our own luggage???

We plan on a cruise in February out of Ft Lauderdale and hoping we could carry on our luggage.

I have a question - The last few Princess cruises we have been on we carried off our own luggage (mainly to get to the airport right away). Is there any reason why we cannot carry on our own luggage???

We plan on a cruise in February out of Ft Lauderdale and hoping we could carry on our luggage.

my guess is it is xrayed for illegal things and it wont fit through the scanners we put our carryons through

Pam swears by Eagle Creek. I do too, with one exception. I purchased a piggyback set through them, with a day backpack that zips onto a roll aboard which is also a backpack so the whole thing can be carried in one piece on the back. Rick Steves swears by this for his European tours. I bought it for flying Space A on military flights.

Seven years of hard use later, the inside pockets of the backpack started to de-laminate. No problem, lifetime warranty, right? Wrong. There is damage that’s not covered and that’s among it. Furthermore, I couldn’t buy another backpack to replace it because they no longer make this set. So if anything happens that renders the roll aboard piece unusable, I’m probably out of luck.

Even with a lifetime warranty, luggage is a disposable item.

I agree. I assume with Eagle Creek - I have to pay to send it to a luggage repair center (last time I looked that is how it was). Might as well buy a new one because shipping is expensive.

I bought Pathfinder luggage once (great, lifetime warranty) - they went out of business. They are back in business but not repairing their old stuff. Thankfully mine hasn't broken.

Eddie Bauer is supposed to have pretty good coverage - you can return it to any store and they will give you a new one. Haven't used it yet.

my guess is it is xrayed for illegal things and it wont fit through the scanners we put our carryons through

That is what I was afraid of. We always take our carry-ons and valuables with us. I was wondering how they would handle the larger luggage items. This cruise we will be in an ocean view on deck 5 and didn't have to go very far with all our luggage.

isn't that the maker of the luggage that was thrown around by a gorilla on tv in the 70's?

Tommy,

I had that gorilla luggage and you could not kill it :D. I got rid of it only because it was to heavy. I think someone is still using it :rolleyes:.

Tony

First, let me say that I love Princess, am a Platinum member with over 12 cruises with different ships, and would definitely choose Princess again.... BUT... an issue... I was on Coral Princess for the September 16 to 23 Alaska cruise with my mother. Check in, boarding, all was wonderful... when our luggage came to the cabin, BOTH our cases were damaged. The handle on my Heys luggage was completely broken, and although the designer luggage tag and bandana I have used for FIVE years on this piece of luggage were missing, the paper Princess tag was sitting on the desk in our cabin. How is it that the cheap paper tag made it through the breakage, but the other items did not? Also, my mother's case had the zippers broken. Both of us have used these cases for YEARS with no issue. I decided not to make a case of it as there are far more important things in life. Same with Mom. However, today I was chatting with a friend of mine who did Caribbean Princess in August, and vowed she would never do it again. I was shocked, Caribbean Princess being one of my favourite cruises. She said BOTH she and her husband had their luggage damaged. What the heck??? Is this a trend?? I would like to know if any of you out there have experienced the same thing, so that I can write to Princess. I love the cruise line, and if their baggage handlers are making a statement, I would like to let Princess know that it is damaging their reputation along with our luggage!!!

An experience - not exactly like yours. On a HAL sailing out of Seattle, one of our suitcases was delivered with 2 of the 4 sets of wheels missing. I gave the case to the room steward and he took it for repair. The ship was unable to repair it. The case was not returned, but taken to Passenger Services. They told me to purchase a new one, and they would reimburse me. Luckily one of our stops was in Juneau, so we took the free shuttle to Walmart. I purchased a case there (approx. $90 - the ship gave me an upper price limit, but I don't remember what it was), and they reimbursed me with cash when I returned to the ship.

I no longer have a matched set, but the WalMart case is still holding up well.

I used to travel a great deal for work (over 1 million miles on 3 different airlines), and travel frequently in my retirement. The luggage that I currently use, and have fore the last 10 years, through many international trips, is a rolling duffle made by FUL, that I picked up at Costco for $70 dollars. I got it primarily because it was lightweight and had great capacity with easy to use compartments.

Prior to getting that I was lucky if a suitcase would last 2 years. Did not matter the cost, the manufacturer, the weight (and some of them were pretty heavy empty) they all tended to fail. Few lasted more then 40 trips.

We have gotten so that we travel light. Just a 22” roller for each of us and our backpacks. We don’t even bother to use the porters and carry-on - be it airline or cruise. Yes, we miss the days of not be burdened with luggage but the peace of mind of having it with us and being able to unpack on arrival wins out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We pack fairly light so the Rick Steves carry on sized bags work for us. I've needed to have it rapaired twice over several years (once just last week before our next cruise) both times it was simply replaced for a brand new bag no questions asked. Thankfully I live within an hour from their store so shipping and waiting is not an issue.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

I have a Samsonite bag that a zipper was broken on two separate occasions. The zippers were ok when dropping off at the cruise terminal, but broken when arriving at room. Manufacture has 10 year guarantee and repaired them at no cost. Repairs took less than 1 week.

As long as it fits through the scanners, you can carry it on. I do it every cruise.