Cruise Elegant vs. Cruise Casual: How do you feel about this?

winddawn

How do you feel about dining room dress requirements for cruise elegant nights?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about dining room dress requirements for cruise elegant nights?

• Keep cruise elegant night dress requirements as is.
    • Every night should be cruise casual in the dining room.

We've been cruising since the early 90's when there were true formal nights, tuxes, gowns, like going to the prom. Not everyone wears a suit to work, we manage a small tree farm and after days of digging wood chips out of my hair, we enjoy dressing up.

We no longer do the tux and gown thing, but do enjoy our precruise ritual of DH and I shopping for a new dress or two and coordinating shirt and tie. It's what we like to do and will continue to do. We actually clean up pretty well!:D

Personally I would like to see every night on board have the Elegant Dress code used for the MDR.

How hard is it for people to wear khakis or dark colored jeans and a collared shirt, for the 2 or so hours of dining each night?

With the ease of finding laundry faculties on board there is no need to bring a set for every night of the cruise 2 or 3 pairs of pants or skirts and appropriate tops that can mix and match don't take up much room in luggage.

It would still have Carnival with a nightly dress code that is less than most other cruise lines. Heck even the freestyle one (with the same menu each night) requires pants to be worn in the MDR, though shorts are acceptable at the pub or Margaritaville if you don't like the idea of eating at the buffet.

Personally I would like to see every night on board have the Elegant Dress code used for the MDR.

How hard is it for people to wear khakis or dark colored jeans and a collared shirt, for the 2 or so hours of dining each night?

With the ease of finding laundry faculties on board there is no need to bring a set for every night of the cruise 2 or 3 pairs of pants or skirts and appropriate tops that can mix and match don't take up much room in luggage.

It would still have Carnival with a nightly dress code that is less than most other cruise lines. Heck even the freestyle one (with the same menu each night) requires pants to be worn in the MDR, though shorts are acceptable at the pub or Margaritaville if you don't like the idea of eating at the buffet.

With Carnival not being a high class line, I don't think you'll see an every night elegant night anytime soon. Are dark jeans allowed on elegant night? I didn't think they were. And the laundry isn't as easy as you suggest. I like to do it on the last sea day. Last cruise I didn't do it at all because it wouldn't take my S&S card. I was going to have to stand in a line a guest services to get a new S&S card to do laundry. The lady in the laundry room said she had to use her husbands card and another person had to get a new card so it wasn't just me. The cruise before last it double charged me for detergent.

Edited by Saint Greg

How hard is it for people to concern themselves with what they're wearing and ignore what others are wearing? In reality, the latter - your doing wearing you wish and ignoring what others are wearing - is far less physical work than what you suggested. So while you've put together a paragraph of thoughts, they're not a compelling argument for your preferred point-of-view. I wear what you suggest, as a minimum, each night we visit the MDR; that doesn't mean there is any rational basis for expecting others to make the same choice as I make.

With Carnival not being a high class line, I don't think you'll see an every night elegant night anytime soon.
This is critical. Carnival has almost a dozen brands. It would be idiocy for them all to serve the same exact set of needs. As with any market, the most profitable approach is to have a base offering that appeals in every way to the mass market and have specialized, premium offerings that serve niche interests. Like it or not, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL are competitors for the ground-level mass market. Carnival owns Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, etc., and doing so would only make sense if they cost more and were aimed at more rarefied preferences.

And the laundry isn't as easy as you suggest.
People each values their vacation time differently, and perhaps the poster who suggested this doesn't value their vacation time as highly as others, or finds satisfaction in performing domestic work, but many people do not, and so there is little merit to a suggestion that a ground-level mass-market cruise line should change in such a way to force more domestic work during vacation onto its customers to serve a niche interest.

With Carnival not being a high class line, I don't think you'll see an every night elegant night anytime soon. Are dark jeans allowed on elegant night? I didn't think they were. And the laundry isn't as easy as you suggest. I like to do it on the last sea day. Last cruise I didn't do it at all because it wouldn't take my S&S card. I was going to have to stand in a line a guest services to get a new S&S card to do laundry. The lady in the laundry room said she had to use her husbands card and another person had to get a new card so it wasn't just me. The cruise before last it double charged me for detergent.

Sorry I "misspoke" when mentioning the jeans being allowed on Elegant Nights, it's the Steakhouse allows them on casual nights.

Luckily for me I never had problems being double charged for anything or trouble with the launderettes prior to getting free laundry as a perk (at least on Carnival still working on that one for other lines). But if I ever did have the machines refuse payment back then, I would of immediately done the stuff the bag wash and fold service for $15 (an everyday day price the past couple of years, instead of a once a cruise special). True that's 2.5 times the amount of DIY without buying on board chemicals in the launderette (we used to bring our own), but I then would gone to guest services (with the time I saved by not waiting on the machines) to complain and get a refund for the difference.

How hard is it for people to concern themselves with what they're wearing and ignore what others are wearing? In reality, the latter -your doing wearing you wish and ignoring what others are wearing - is far less physical work than what you suggested. So while you've put together a paragraph of thoughts, they're not a compelling argument for your preferred point-of-view. I wear what you suggest, as a minimum, each night we visit the MDR; that doesn't mean there is any rational basis for expecting others to make the same choice as I make.

This is critical. Carnival has almost a dozen brands. It would be idiocy for them all to serve the same exact set of needs. As with any market, the most profitable approach is to have a base offering that appeals in every way to the mass market and have specialized, premium offerings that serve niche interests.Like it or not, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL are competitors for the ground-level mass market. Carnival owns Holland America, Princess, Seabourn,etc., and doing so would only make sense if they cost more and were aimed at more rarefied preferences.

People each values their vacation time differently, and perhaps the poster whosuggested this doesn't value their vacation time as highly as others, or findssatisfaction in performing domestic work, but many people do not, and so thereis little merit to a suggestion that a ground-level mass-market cruise lineshould change in such a way to force more domestic work during vacation ontoits customers to serve a niche interest.

The OP, winddawn, asked how we FEEL about the MDR dress code in essence being the same all cruise long. I expressed my feeling that if there was to be a uniform MDR dress code I would prefer it too be the "higher" standard of the 2 currently described. I'm not trying to force anyone to conform to my viewpoint and do not feel that how someone else is dressed (as long as it it no lewdly) detracts from my enjoyment of a meal. But rather the attitude copped and held onto by passengers when they are called out by staff to change or enjoy another venue is my detraction. These usually loud discussions and surly mood they maintain by the person or their companions during meal service, if they care seated near us, is what sours the dinner experience for my family. I just prefer to negate that risk by having a more defined dress code with little chance of mis-iterpetation.

Also I really do have a hard time understanding this whole "I can't fit a couple pairs of pants into my carry-on luggage" attitude so the cruise line should accommodate me by allowing me to wear whatever I do bring even it it's against their dress code. It's not like their luggage is lost, it was their decision to pick an airline that does not allow checked luggage as part of the ticket price and is unilling to pay for upcharge to do so. A line must be drawn somewhere, and as Carnival's Maître D’ and hostesses are now enforcing the dress code more often, at least for the cruises I’ve had the last 2-3 years. I can't remember any cruise (Carnival or not including) where we did not hear a passenger or 5 state that FAQs say shorts are allowed in the dining room when they are stopped at the MDR entrance and ask to change. Yes, Carnival's FAQs allow shorts on casual nights (while other crise lines do not) but it is stated they mean dress shorts (without further definition) which may be marketed as Bermuda, walking, or golf shorts, with certain staff members allowing cargo shorts. (Other lines only allow shorts during breakfast and lunch service.) By stating pants are the minimum for dinner then that confusion over what meets the definition of a pair of dress short is negated. It can boil down to a being a similar argument about what's the difference between a pair of thong sandals and what are flip flops, people will have agree to disagree and go by the judgement of the crew.

In part some of my disbelief that people cannot pack appropriate clothing, iss this...

I just packed 10 pairs of Dockers, 6 button down shirts, 4 polos shirts, 14 pairs of underwear, 3 sets of shorts, 3 t-shirts, 2 swimsuits, extra belt, a pair of walkers, and 3 days of gym wear for my husband (who wears 3X-Tall) for a 2 week business trip. (Basically a complete flip-flop of what is suggested to wear on a cruise.) He does not do laundry (except for the active wear which he will wash in the sink), does not send anything to the dry cleaner unless it states "Dry Clean only", and was unsure of the availability of any nearby reliable wash-n-fold service (not mentioned as a hotel amenity). This all fit in 1 garment bag (tipping the scales at 45# because of full sized toiletries) and 1 carry-on, so he did have to forkover at the airport $35 for the checked bag. But that was his choice not to avail himself of possibly paying only 3/4 of that amount to have his laundry done while he is in his various meetings. If it had been my choice he would have only taken a little more than 1 week's worth of clothing and pare down his toiletry choices to fit the quart bag, and sent out for laundry on day 6. This shortened list would have fit in his carry-on and a pilot bag/personal item, making them a bit heavy but still manageable since they are on wheels. Packing cubes and dollar store roll-up “vacuum” travel bags do wonders for maximizing a carry-on’s capacity, especially since no airline I know of weighs carry-on as long it fits the slot and/or the passenger can lift it to the overhead.

I don't really care. I like to get dressed up a little and get pictures taken. But even then its not super formal, more like Sunday best. Honestly I would not care that much if they did away with them. Maybe make the steakhouse a little more formal for those who want a more premium dining experience. To be honest, we went to a nice restaurant in Galveston for our anniversary and DH wore shorts and a polo. And I called in advance to find out if there was a dress code and there was not. Its kind of the culture now.

I do not believe it is too much to ask that a person dresses in a certain fashion to attend formal night. When the limitations of what is "acceptable" are so very loose already it is something that should be easy to follow to maintain a certain level of decorum. Formal night is there specifically to be "set apart" from other dining evenings. It is meant to be an event and an experience. It is not about conformance, but about participating in something "special." Which, by the way, is completely optional and many other dining options are available for those that don't want to dress accordingly.

Simple slacks and a button up or polo shirt, and a nice sundress or cute capris and a top are an easily obtainable requirement for anyone. I personally enjoy the experience for what it is, and my mood dictates to what degree I indulge. Sometimes it is is a sundress, others it is a gown. I can pack for a 5-6 day cruise in two airline size carry-on suitcases and 2 shoulder bags for my husband and I and this is all our clothes including some dress clothes and shoes and all our own snorkel gear, even on an 8 day cruise I only switch out one suitcase to checked, and it is only slightly bigger than carry-on size.

And I will say I DO care about what people are wearing around me. While in a formal dining setting a shred of good taste in clothing should already be considered the norm. Just as I think they should more strictly enforce the dress code while in the buffet. There is nothing less appetizing than watching a backside hanging out of a thong walk past you at eye level dripping wet from the pool because people do not read and follow the instructions for the buffet's attire.

It is not conformance, it is a matter of good manners and a shred of decorum that seems to be waining in our society. Civility, humility, manners, respect, modesty... all are becoming a thing of the past because of the pervasive, "I should be able to do what I want to do attitude" and "forget everyone" else. The problem is any singular action is always bigger and there is impact all around you. Just ask Newton.

We stopped dressing 'elegant' when the airlines started charging for bags. Plus, we just don't enjoy getting all dressed up on vacation. We wear what use to be called 'church clothes' before jeans and T's became the norm at church. A black slacks and nice top for me and slacks and a button or polo shirt for him. Besides, I don't care what anyone else wears. It doesn't bear on my experience what so ever.

This. I'm not going out to buy new clothes and then pay extra to check my luggage to go to a 1-2 hour dinner. I'd much rather bring lightweight, easy to store things to minimize how much I pack...and also bring things that can be worn more than once. I can wear a plain casual shirt for my short dinner and then wear it another day elsewear. I can't wear a formal gown to the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not believe it is too much to ask that a person dresses in a certain fashion to attend formal night. When the limitations of what is "acceptable" are so very loose already it is something that should be easy to follow to maintain a certain level of decorum. Formal night is there specifically to be "set apart" from other dining evenings. It is meant to be an event and an experience. It is not about conformance, but about participating in something "special." Which, by the way, is completely optional and many other dining options are available for those that don't want to dress accordingly.

I'm sorry but elegant night stops being elegant the minute the waiters start twirling napkins and dancing on the tables. Any day on a cruise is special and clothing really has nothing to do with it.

It wouldn't make much difference to me. I dress nicely for dinner every night in what my generation used to call "church clothes."

My favorite thing about elegant is that they put tablecloths back on the tables.

Me too.:)

But rather the attitude copped and held onto by passengers when they are called out by staff to change or enjoy another venue is my detraction.
I've seen many comments saying that reports of such incidents are far out of proportion to the actual incidents themselves.

These usually loud discussions and surly mood they maintain by the person or their companions during meal service, if they care seated near us, is what sours the dinner experience for my family.
And there are never cases of surly passengers backbiting what others are wearing? Overhearing those kinds of comments is another detraction.

there is a problem, when you tell people to go smart casual, they will go in Walmart attire:evilsmile:

Such comments are really a big part of the problem.

This is Walmart attire:

03c9b649-f89b-4ce6-b807-968aa39d5684_1.831353a38b186769c382adb4c1c10180.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verno-Bellomi-Men-s-Light-Grey-Classic-Fit-Italian-Styled-Two-Piece-Suit/49641748

It would be far better if people who want to make reference to violating the Carnival dress code use the words, "violating the Carnival dress code".

I can't wear a formal gown to the beach.
The Carnival dress code does not require a gown. I am willing to bet that something you already pack for the trip complies, despite claims by others to the contrary.

I don't understand the big deal. If you don't want to dress up, don't. Go eat at the buffet. It's cruise casual every night. No one is being forced into wearing what they don't want to wear.

... but please, no matter where you choose to eat..... be kind to those around you and shower between your excursion/pool day and your evening meal. - public service announcement

I wish there was an elegant dining roomand a casual dining room offering the same menu. There are times when I do notwant to dress up for elegant night but I also do not want the buffet either.

I dress up enough for work 5 days a week. On vacation, I prefer to keep on jeans/shorts and a basic top.

How important are Carnival's cruise elegant nights to you? Assuming the dining room food wouldn't change on cruise elegant nights if the dress code changed, do you think cruise elegant nights should continue as is, or do you think every night should be cruise casual?

I like elegant night. I don't get that many chances in my normal life to dress up and go out, so it's a treat for me.

I wish there was an elegant dining roomand a casual dining room offering the same menu. There are times when I do notwant to dress up for elegant night but I also do not want the buffet either.

I dress up enough for work 5 days a week. On vacation, I prefer to keep on jeans/shorts and a basic top.

Goodness, wouldn't this be the best compromise?

I like the idea that Anytime Dining could be Cruise Casual all the time. If you want Elegant Night, you go to the other dining room.

Or how about this: Elegant Night could be every night. If you want cruise casual, you go to the anytime dining room.

That was rephrased because people seem to want to make others conform to what THEY want.

Goodness, wouldn't this be the best compromise?

I like the idea that Anytime Dining could be Cruise Casual all the time. If you want Elegant Night, you go to the other dining room.

Or how about this: Elegant Night could be every night. If you want cruise casual, you go to the anytime dining room.

That was rephrased because people seem to want to make others conform to what THEY want.

I think it has more to do with people want other people to at least meet the minimum dress requirements established by the host. There is a cruise line that already does as you and adriennerm want, it's called NCL.

I like elegant night. I don't get that many chances in my normal life to dress up and go out, so it's a treat for me.

So what if you could dress up, but others could observe cruise casual. Would that detract from your dining experience?