First time booking a guarantee...a few questions....

Yesterday we switched our April inside cabin Jewel booking to an inside guarantee to save some cash!

A few questions....

We were told we could switch to any available cabin in the same category once a room is assigned. We hope this is soon!

It seems like the room can be assigned at any time. Does paying the cruise off in full increase the likelyhood of having a cabin assigned earlier?

Do you typically get the “worst” cabin in the category?

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks!!

We were told we could switch to any available cabin in the same category once a room is assigned. We hope this is soon!

Yes, as long as you booked via US/Canada rules, there's no problem switching within the same category.

It seems like the room can be assigned at any time. Does paying the cruise off in full increase the likelyhood of having a cabin assigned earlier?

Not that I've been able to tell. It's simply a crapshoot. May be assigned tomorrow, may be assigned at the pier!

Do you typically get the “worst” cabin in the category?

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks!!

No, because there is no such thing as the "worst" cabin -- it's completely subjective. Some people like being aft, some forward. Some like high, some like low. There is no one cabin that is known as The Bad Cabin on any ship.

I've booked guarantees before and would do it again in a heartbeat to save money!

We just booked an inside guarantee on Navigator 5 night and we were assigned a room before I even got off the phone with my TA. Got a room deck 6 aft, in a spot we've been before and enjoyed. A couple categories up from the lowest, and yes, we had the option to switch within that same category if we had wanted to.

We also booked a guarantee balcony as well on the 9 night and received a D2 so definitely not the lowest category. Received this assignment in just over 24 hours. We're not too picky about our rooms so the guarantees work well for us.

Thanks, this is all helpful as it is a little anxiety provoking but we saved a good amount.

By bad cabin I’m thinking on the Jewel of ones right beside the central area where the entertainment is at night.

If we don’t get assigned for a while, does calling in help at all?

Any more experiences with this are helpful!

Calling in for what? To ask to be assigned? That's the whole point of the guarantee... there is no guarantee.

If it's THAT big a deal to you, just pay extra to change to an assigned room. Otherwise just relax and let it happen.

Thanks, this is all helpful as it is a little anxiety provoking but we saved a good amount.

By bad cabin I’m thinking on the Jewel of ones right beside the central area where the entertainment is at night.

Any more experiences with this are helpful!

I've not heard anyone report that calling helps speed the assignment process.

Booked guarantees many times. Never got a 'bad' cabin. Paying ahead doesn't help. Neither will calling. Typically I have been assigned way ahead of time but within the last 3 or 4 weeks for sure. That has been our experience. I happen to like guarantees. Saves you money!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't believe calling in will make any difference. We got our guarantee assignments quickly for these two but have also had some not be assigned until a couple days before sailing. Best you can do is be patient. IMO, any room on a ship is better than not being on one.

I have booked a guarantee a number of times over the years. Generally been happy with allocation, occasionally I have been disappointed.

If I book a guarantee, I keep an open mind regarding location. If location is important, I pay the extra. Plus if the difference isn't great, I would pay the extra to get the location I want. As I am from the UK, I have not been able to change the cabin once allocated.

The longer it takes to be assigned, the better your chance for some sort of upgraded space. You WILL get a cabin...no worries. Don't bother them....you will get what you get!

Actually I've read here that this is not necessarily true. Odds are, no matter what, you will end up with an interior cabin. Especially these days with ships sailing so full... but, MAYBE it could happen if your ship isn't full?

We always book guarantees, it's part of the fun... what cabin will we get this time. We don't try to move the cabin around, we look at it as an adventure. Last sailing I think we got our assignment a day or two before sailing. I was worried we were going to be bumped.

For us, and interior guarantees, we have never gotten a cabin above the second floor. I'm sure others have, but not us.

The rules of guarantees for myself: It will be directly underneath something loud, like theater or restaurant.

Rules for everyone else: You'll be in a fantastic suite.

Sarcastic and exaggerating? Yes. Probably. Maybe.

Since my experience with gambling is never getting more than a single number on a lottery ticket (and never the power ball or equivalent) I pick my room. I'd be unhappy if below a public space or in a connecting cabin due to noise. If I was a heavy sleeper, or stayed up late, I'd be far more likely to take the gamble. I'd still lose, but at least I'd save money!

Since my experience with gambling is never getting more than a single number on a lottery ticket (and never the power ball or equivalent) I pick my room. I'd be unhappy if below a public space or in a connecting cabin due to noise. If I was a heavy sleeper, or stayed up late, I'd be far more likely to take the gamble. I'd still lose, but at least I'd save money!

I feel your pain.

Can I confirm that the cabin number comes up when logging into RC and then “my cruises”. Right now it still shows up as an interior guarantee. Will the interior guarantee be replaced with a cabin number? I thinks so but don’t want to look in the wrong place!

Yes, once your stateroom is assigned you will see the stateroom number on Royal's website.

We quite often book guarantees, always balcony cabins and so far have never gotten a 'bad' cabin. Usually we get a bit of an upgrade, but only once from balcony to mini, and I think our travel agent influenced that--she was a good friend and one of the cruise lines 'elite' TA's.

We have also been able to move to a different cabin in the same category if one is available, but I'm not sure if that works on all cruise lines.

Sometimes we find out the cabin right away, sometimes after a month or two.

Well, we haven’t had a cabin assigned yet! It seems that it gets assigned quickly after booking or else much later..? We are just over 5 months out so lots of time....

There's been no pattern to when guarantees get assigned.