PDF Deck Plans

Aspang

In the "ONBOARD" section of the Hal website they've removed the classy pictures of the cabins which accompanied the large/clear deck plans with these reproductions of deck plans from the back of the annual brochure. They're labeled PDF. Does anyone know why they have done this? This new format makes it much more difficult to research cabin type and location. They do show the pre/post renewal effort. Hopefully when all the work on all the fleet is completed we'll get our old/quality format back!

In the "ONBOARD" section of the Hal website they've removed the classy pictures of the cabins which accompanied the large/clear deck plans with these reproductions of deck plans from the back of the annual brochure. They're labeled PDF. Does anyone know why they have done this? This new format makes it much more difficult to research cabin type and location. They do show the pre/post renewal effort. Hopefully when all the work on all the fleet is completed we'll get our old/quality format back!

I don't understand your complaint. I never remember any "large/clear" deck plans or "classy pictures next to the deck plans. Nor do I understand how the PDF format makes it difficult to research cabin type and location.

However, you can enlarge the PDF plans by clicking on the plus sign, which makes them very easy to read.

As far as pictures go, you can still find them by clicking on "Ship Details) or by clicking on a particular itinerary. These are the same pictures that have always been there.

I must be missing something, but I don't see the problem.

Edited by Tampa Girl
Misspelling

:confused: I have just been looking at the Koningsdam deck plans. Decks 9 & 10 both show elliptical protrusions on both sides of the ship in the area of the Seaview Bar and just aft of the Tamarind with no explanation of what they are. Anybody got any idea of what this might be?

They indeed used to provide virtual 360 degree tours of the ship.

OP was questioning deck plans and cabin pictures. There use to be virtual tours of the cabins but I don't see that any more. The website, under "Ship's Facts" does include virtual tours, however; but when I click on it, nothing happens. It might be the Chrome browser. .

The on-line Deck Plans are the same as always.

Actually, they aren't. HAL now only offers PDF (i.e. reproductions of paper pages) versions of the deck plans for all ships. This is a relatively recent change. There used to be HTML versions for all ships where one could hover the cursor over a particular cabin and the cabin type and a photo of it would appear.

On the "Our Ships - Eurodam" page for example, in the upper right under Ship Facts there is a link to "View Deck Plan" and next to it a separate link that says "Plain text version (PDF)". In the past those were separate things. If you click the former now, it takes you to a page with deck plans for every ship, now in PDF format.

Add me to the list of folks who would prefer that the HTML deck plans be restored.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser
Added hyperlink

Actually, they aren't. HAL now only offers PDF (i.e. reproductions of paper pages) versions of the deck plans for all ships. This is a relatively recent change. There used to be HTML versions for all ships where one could hover the cursor over a particular cabin and the cabin type and a photo of it would appear.

On the "Our Ships - Eurodam" page for example, in the upper right under Ship Facts there is a link to "View Deck Plan" and next to it a separate link that says "Plain text version (PDF)". In the past those were separate things. If you click the former now, it takes you to a page with deck plans for every ship, now in PDF format.

Add me to the list of folks who would prefer that the HTML deck plans be restored.

My apologies to the the OP. We have been sailing with HAL or almost 15 years, and I don't recall being able to click on a cabin and see a little picture of the subject cabin. For what little value that is, since it was presumably the same picture that appears on the site where you choose your cabin. Not a big loss. Presumably, one chooses their category of cabin before they even look at the deck plan. A bigger loss, however, is the lack of a virtual tour of the cabin, IMHO.

I think there was a little diagram of the typical cabin layout, too, wasn't there?

For people who have sailed with HAL a lot, they probably do know what cabin grade they want. But for people new to HAL and doing some research, having those images linked to the deck plans would be useful.

Or misleading. It was the same photo for every cabin in the same class and I can imagine somebody out there getting upset that theirs was a little different from the photo after having clicked on one after the other after the other expecting them to be unique photos of the specific cabin being selected. Remember we live in a society where it became necessary to emblazon styrofoam cups with the legend, "This coffee is hot."

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Or misleading. It was the same photo for every cabin in the same class and I can imagine somebody out there getting upset that theirs was a little different from the photo after having clicked on one after the other after the other expecting them to be unique photos of the specific cabin being selected. Remember we live in a society where it became necessary to emblazon styrofoam cups with the legend, "This coffee is hot."

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

And they had the "fine print" that said that cabins vary. Insides are more variable, but once you get to OV, most cabins are the same, with only extreme fore and aft cabins being different.

And they had the "fine print" that said that cabins vary.
Over the past couple of months we have been (and during hurricane season every year we are) very pointedly reminded that many consumers refuse to acknowledge the reality, much less the validity, of "fine print".

I think there was a little diagram of the typical cabin layout, too, wasn't there?

For people who have sailed with HAL a lot, they probably do know what cabin grade they want. But for people new to HAL and doing some research, having those images linked to the deck plans would be useful.

The diagrams are still there - on the same page as the large colored picture of each cabin, and the letters signifying the class of cabin. I think the OP was simply looking in the wrong place or not remembering correctly. If one knows what how the cabins are classified, i.e. SS, SY, etc., one knows what the cabin will probably look like Very simple.

:confused: I have just been looking at the Koningsdam deck plans. Decks 9 & 10 both show elliptical protrusions on both sides of the ship in the area of the Seaview Bar and just aft of the Tamarind with no explanation of what they are. Anybody got any idea of what this might be?
Stairs between the Lido and Panorama decks. The middle step is glass so you can look down to the ocean.

2liip13.jpg

Edited by catl331

Me too!!! And thank you, CB, for injecting some accuracy into this discussion. (y)(y)(y) And to OP, apologies on behalf of the CCers who questioned your sanity.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

Me too!!! And thank you, CB, for injecting some accuracy into this discussion. (y)(y)(y) And to OP, apologies on behalf of the CCers who questioned your sanity.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

Your sarcasm is, as usual, unwarranted and unnecessary. You might read my post #8, in which I had apologized to the OP.

Your sarcasm is, as usual, unwarranted and unnecessary. You might read my post #8, in which I had apologized to the OP.

Sorry to have touched a raw nerve, but my Post did not refer to you by name or implication ... unless, of course, your apology was less than sincere. In any event, I stand by my previous Post, as I see no need to question another Poster's sanity. And, given your apology, apparently you do not disagree.

Sorry to have touched a raw nerve, but my Post did not refer to you by name or implication ... unless, of course, your apology was less than sincere. In any event, I stand by my previous Post, as I see no need to question another Poster's sanity. And, given your apology, apparently you do not disagree.

No one questioned the OP's sanity, expressly or impliedly.

Stairs between the Lido and Panorama decks. The middle step is glass so you can look down to the ocean.

2liip13.jpg

The 'glass step' directly looks down onto the verandahs of the cabins underneath. :eek:

Really not a clever idea!